Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 01:31 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,923,004 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are currently living in Belmont and looking to find a nice single-family home. My wife works downtown, so ideally we'd like to be close to the commuter rail and not too far from Boston (I work in Cambridge and will probably be taking the commuter rail, but possibly driving.)

So far, we've identified Wakefield, Melrose, Reading, Woburn, and Wilmington as possible places, as they all have reasonable access to commuter rail and single family houses in our price range ($400-500k). From what I've read, none of those cities are "outstanding", but they all seem reasonably nice and all are reasonably close.

My questions are the following:

1) are there any comments on these towns? something positive I should know about or something really worrisome about any of these cities?

2) are there other towns we should be considering? Neither of us are natives, so I'm sure there is something we are missing.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2007, 03:58 PM

18,722 posts, read 33,385,615 times
I'd absolutely suggest Arlington. Right on the bus line to Harvard Square, the Red Line is at Alewife, easy access to Rt. 2 and out of town. I think you could easily find a decent house in that price range. It's a quiet town that is minutes from Cambridge and then downtown. You can't beat the location, and it seems to be a very nice community.

Old 12-29-2007, 04:59 PM

212 posts, read 948,362 times
Woburn has had trouble with their water and contaminants (I think Wilmington's wells have been contaminated, too). Remember the movie "A Civil Action"? That was about Woburn and the childhood cancers. It might be best to stick with a town that uses MWRA water (Quabbin). I agree that Arlington is a nice town, very convenient, with lots of restaurants and shops and the bike path. Close to the T and Cambridge/Boston.

Old 12-29-2007, 05:11 PM

240 posts, read 470,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
My wife and I are currently living in Belmont and looking to find a nice single-family home. My wife works downtown, so ideally we'd like to be close to the commuter rail and not too far from Boston (I work in Cambridge and will probably be taking the commuter rail, but possibly driving.)

So far, we've identified Wakefield, Melrose, Reading, Woburn, and Wilmington as possible places, as they all have reasonable access to commuter rail and single family houses in our price range ($400-500k). From what I've read, none of those cities are "outstanding", but they all seem reasonably nice and all are reasonably close.

My questions are the following:

1) are there any comments on these towns? something positive I should know about or something really worrisome about any of these cities?

2) are there other towns we should be considering? Neither of us are natives, so I'm sure there is something we are missing.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
1st I would pick Reading. 2nd choice wakefield. 3rd choice Melrose. Skip woburn and wilmington. That is the best advise.

Old 12-29-2007, 06:55 PM

We've looked at Arlington---it seems like a great town, but it seems to be more expensive than any of those either towns, at least for single-family houses. We'll definitely include it in our search, though.

I did get a bad vibe from Woburn when I visited, so I guess it's not surprising people are warning me away. What's the strike against Wilmington?

Thanks!

Old 12-29-2007, 07:07 PM

735 posts, read 3,501,600 times
...just a suggestion, but you might check out some of the towns in MetroWest. Heading further up 93 (Wilmington) is going to cause you to pull your hair out commutting into the city. Keep in mind the commutter rails don't go downtown- they go to North Station. And 93 is........93! Worst traffic out of any of the roads.

Old 12-29-2007, 08:04 PM

We know that the commuter rail goes to North Station, but is there anything in MetroWest that's both affordable and not significantly further away? Southern suburbs end at South Station, as well. Are any of those comparable?

Again, thanks for all the advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY'er lost in MA View Post
...just a suggestion, but you might check out some of the towns in MetroWest. Heading further up 93 (Wilmington) is going to cause you to pull your hair out commutting into the city. Keep in mind the commutter rails don't go downtown- they go to North Station. And 93 is........93! Worst traffic out of any of the roads.

Old 12-30-2007, 07:53 AM

you'd be slightly further out in distance in some areas of Metrowest, but closer in commuting time. The Pike tends to be much more efficient over 93, and taking the rail into South Station is easier than getting off at North station and then adding another 20-30 minutes wrangling with buses or the T. I assume when you said downtown, you mean your wife works in the Financial District. And for driving to Cambridge on occasion, you can pop off the Pike and zip in a few ways.

Check out Natick, Ashland, Wayland, Southborough....

Old 12-30-2007, 08:27 AM

She actually works downtown, but it's closer to South Station than it is to North Station (I once made the mistake of saying she worked in the financial district and was quickly corrected), so a train that stops at South Station would be advantageous.

The western suburbs are certainly something to consider, though, so we'll start including those towns in our search. Any suggestions for possible southern suburbs?

Again, thanks!

Old 12-30-2007, 08:59 AM

My wife and I lived in in Salem for 4 years. Taking the rail to North Station and then scrambling to see what T line was running efficiently each morning was a headache. Walking to South Station area also added about 25 minutes. That was one of the determining factors that made us look to Metrowest.

A good drive to check out neighborhoods is Rt 135- from Wellesley all the way to Hopkinton. That reminds me- parts of Hopkinton would also work for you folks. Great town!

I am not that familiar with points south. But from my experiences driving to see clients and heading south, I can tell you that the traffic is the worst in the State. I also know the rail lines have had serious issues recently and are unpredictable. My personal opinion is that some of the towns in the South Shore are very congested and lack the accessibility of Metrowest (both that's just me maybe)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts