Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 04:25 AM

9,932 posts, read 15,510,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngarson View Post
Thanks for the reply. What do you mean by "I'm fairly certain you will get one."?
2 of my kids received tickets in NY and somehow the information never made it here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2014, 05:11 AM

9 posts, read 40,728 times
Default How much insurance will go up?

Does anyone know about how much insurance would go up for getting a ticket as an inexperienced driver?
I've searched high and low on the internet and cannot find any info on it for my insurance company.
Thanks.

Old 10-20-2014, 09:10 AM

Also, I keep reading places that your first minor offense doesn't make your insurance go up. Is this true?

Old 10-20-2014, 09:48 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,767,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngarson View Post
Does anyone know about how much insurance would go up for getting a ticket as an inexperienced driver?

Once again, it is up to the individual insurer.

Old 10-20-2014, 11:14 AM

It depends on where you live, the age of the car your driving.

Old 10-20-2014, 04:49 PM

Default What does this mean?

I found this on massrmv.com:
Quote:
When there is more than one operator listed on the policy, drivers with the highest combined operator classification and SDIP points shall be assigned to the auto with the highest base premium. Each remaining operator listed on the policy shall be assigned in the order of the highest combined operator classification and SDIP points to the remaining autos with the highest base premium until all operators are assigned to an auto.
Could someone explain this to me? Thanks

Old 10-20-2014, 04:55 PM

It means that your parent's should remove you as a driver on their cars. That way the premium surcharge will only apply to your car. I'm assuming your car is not as nice as what your Mom and Dad have?

Old 10-20-2014, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
It means that your parent's should remove you as a driver on their cars. That way the premium surcharge will only apply to your car. I'm assuming your car is not as nice as what your Mom and Dad have?
Yes, that is correct. My car is a hunk of junk.

Let's say they keep on me on their cars, does that mean I'm paying the whatever % increase just on the highest paid premium car (my dads car)?

And let's say they do take me off their cars, does that mean I can't legally drive them ever?

Old 10-20-2014, 05:04 PM

Yeah, if they take you off their cars (restrict you, they will have to sign a letter, most likely) you can't drive the cars because the insurance co. will not provide coverage in the event of an accident.

The extra premium will be applied to the most expensive car on the policy that you drive.

Old 10-20-2014, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
Yeah, if they take you off their cars (restrict you, they will have to sign a letter, most likely) you can't drive the cars because the insurance co. will not provide coverage in the event of an accident.

The extra premium will be applied to the most expensive car on the policy that you drive.
Thanks for putting up with all my questions, sorry if what I'm asking is elementary I'm new to this whole thing. I have most definitely learned my lesson and will watch my speed in the future.

As the speeding was my fault and not my parents, I will be paying the premium increase.

I might just pay the % increase on the most expensive car (my dads) on my policy, so I can still drive theirs as well.
If my insurance follows the chart on the RMVs website (Premium Adjustment Chart for Inexperienced Operators - Merit Rating Board - MassDOT RMV), which I think they do, then it looks like I'll be paying 15% more in parts 1,2,4&7 for the next three years and then 7.5% for three years after that.

Last edited by ngarson; 10-20-2014 at 05:18 PM.. Reason: typeo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
View detailed profiles of: