Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 04:15 AM

3,636 posts, read 9,767,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Hahahaha!!

I second that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2015, 04:18 AM

6,380 posts, read 6,269,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Actually, she didn't need to mention it EVER. She had a question about selling her house. If need be -- that is, if people started asking WHY (not that it's anyone's business) -- she could have just said "for personal reasons." The question, though, about selling the house, was the only issue that we needed to know. Most people just sort of bullied it out of her, putting her on the defensive to explain herself. She didn't have to explain herself -- she simply asked a simple, direct question. Sadly, it became a complete different issue for most people.

I disagree. She didnt "ask a simple question," she gave back story and half a rationalization to her situation that in some people's personal opinions, made her child appear to be a spoiled brat and question why she was moving at all if that was the only reason.

Of course she COULD have said "for personal reasons" but she didn't. She CHOSE to mention it was "because her daughter was having a hard time." Without any additional information, yet with the minimal (somewhat inaccurate) disclosure about her daughter.

It is human nature to try and understand a situation. We as a nation rarely mention problems like trichotillimania enough to bring awareness to them. Every time someone mentions it, it raises understanding of the severity of the illness.

Regardless, it all worked out for her and im glad she finally came out with the severity of what she was dealing with.

Old 01-08-2015, 04:23 AM

6,380 posts, read 6,269,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
The lesson is, if you look back at the original post, only include detail about which you're willing to receive commentary. The nature of free advice is that it's going to vary in its approach and direction and different people may have the exact opposite advice. While frank and sometimes harsh, I don't think any of the commentary was malicious. Everyone was giving advice based on what they thought would give the best outcome for the OP, even if it wasn't necessarily what the OP wanted to hear.

^ EXACTLY!

This board is no different than any of the rest of them.

Old 01-08-2015, 10:25 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,805,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA70 View Post
I second that.
Seriously? You have to say that even after her daughter's disorder was disclosed?

Old 01-08-2015, 10:36 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,930,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
Seriously? You have to say that even after her daughter's disorder was disclosed?

Yeah, that disclosure completely changed the dynamic.

Old 01-10-2015, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
Seriously, yes I said it because I HAVE A MOODY 16 year old TEENAGER.... Lighten up Frances.... It's not said for any other reason.

Old 01-10-2015, 11:36 AM

1,768 posts, read 3,238,382 times
OP did not owe any kid of disclosure to anyone on this forum. Small-minded judgmental attitude was really in poor taste, and some of the comments after the fact, are not very nice either. It was absolutely unnecessary for OP to defend decision to sell and move.

None of us have any business knowing about OP family medical conditions or issues, and your approval or disapproval considering their needs.

Having moody teenager vs. having child with serious, possibly lifelong medical condition that can have huge impact on rest of her life, is comparing apples and oranges.

People please let them be. Let's move on.

Last edited by CaseyB; 01-10-2015 at 12:00 PM.. Reason: discuss the topic, not other posters

Old 01-10-2015, 11:49 AM

9,068 posts, read 6,298,093 times
Quote:
...Lighten up Frances....
FYI, the saying is Lighten up Francis, not Frances.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OnpkDWbeJs

Old 01-10-2015, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
FYI, the saying is Lighten up Francis, not Frances.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OnpkDWbeJs
Close enough... I can't control autocorrect all the time. You got the meaning.

Old 01-10-2015, 12:15 PM

9,068 posts, read 6,298,093 times
Quote:
Close enough... I can't control autocorrect all the time. You got the meaning.
Yeah, I got your intent. I just couldn't resist throwing in a video clip from Stripes - great movie. Although for the life of me I can't understand why your autocorrect would change Francis to Frances, both are legitimate spelling of names.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts