Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 06:23 PM

304 posts, read 773,901 times

Advertisements

Yes, as far as I can tell neither Arlington, Belmont or Somerville are near the coast!!!

I still say Manchester by the Sea!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2014, 07:26 AM

10 posts, read 17,557 times
I'm the OP. Thanks all. I don't mind if the threads get crooked, I get it. So many different points of view.

I'm starting to really consider Marblehead. My husband wouldn't want to drive...he gets pretty frustrated with traffic. No matter where we went he would want to park and take the commuter train. He needs to be there by eight so would be ok with an hour commute, leaving at seven, park, ride and ez shuttle.

We hate the idea of moving our kids so having a walkable town is really important. We live in a very pretty walk town in NJ and on Fridays afterschool, and Satuday afternoons, my tween and teen get ice cream with their friends, walk to the park, a movie, etc. It has been life changing and I would like them to still have that vs. living somewhere really spread out that requires a lot of taxi driving. I feel like they end up doing less and on the computer more when it requires orchestrating of rides.

Good schools plus quality of life are really key. I looked at Manchester by the Sea (online) and it is pretty! but further up. I know Bean mama said it is closer to interstates, which is great, but what about the park/train commute? That will be the big thing for my husband since I know he would hate to sit in interstate traffic. I've been through it w/ him in the past and he is a much happier train commuter, especially with a tablet.

King George, thanks too for the insight on towns. Arlington and Belmont are close but wow, the prices have gone up so much, all for their proximity. I know this isn't the best time to look at houses as most people list in spring, but there isn't that much available. And it seems they get into bidding wars which always scares me. We lost some money on our last house sale from overinflation, I'm still reeling from that. We had to write a check at closing, after having bid over for it years before.

Old 11-04-2014, 07:58 AM

1,768 posts, read 3,237,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarascout View Post
I'm the OP. Thanks all. I don't mind if the threads get crooked, I get it. So many different points of view.

I'm starting to really consider Marblehead. My husband wouldn't want to drive...he gets pretty frustrated with traffic. No matter where we went he would want to park and take the commuter train. He needs to be there by eight so would be ok with an hour commute, leaving at seven, park, ride and ez shuttle.

We hate the idea of moving our kids so having a walkable town is really important. We live in a very pretty walk town in NJ and on Fridays afterschool, and Satuday afternoons, my tween and teen get ice cream with their friends, walk to the park, a movie, etc. It has been life changing and I would like them to still have that vs. living somewhere really spread out that requires a lot of taxi driving. I feel like they end up doing less and on the computer more when it requires orchestrating of rides.

Good schools plus quality of life are really key. I looked at Manchester by the Sea (online) and it is pretty! but further up. I know Bean mama said it is closer to interstates, which is great, but what about the park/train commute? That will be the big thing for my husband since I know he would hate to sit in interstate traffic. I've been through it w/ him in the past and he is a much happier train commuter, especially with a tablet.

King George, thanks too for the insight on towns. Arlington and Belmont are close but wow, the prices have gone up so much, all for their proximity. I know this isn't the best time to look at houses as most people list in spring, but there isn't that much available. And it seems they get into bidding wars which always scares me. We lost some money on our last house sale from overinflation, I'm still reeling from that. We had to write a check at closing, after having bid over for it years before.

Commute to commuter rail from Marblehead is bigger hassle than from Manchester By The Sea. Marblehead has none on its own, and you need to drive into Swampcott or Salem (not sure about parking availability, be very careful to check when it fills up).

In Manchester train is downtown so you can walk to it. It is huge plus, although you are more away from Boston and Cambridge. Marblehead is really very tucked away, and not ideal for daily commuting. But if your husband is game, maybe it will be worth it to you.

Good luck!

Old 11-04-2014, 09:10 AM

1,768 posts, read 3,237,965 times
I will add this as well. Bidding wars in Cambridge area happen but mostly in spring. It is definitely sellers market. If you want to be insulated from loss on home it is better bet stay closer to Cambridge which is booming, and will continue for at least next decade. No one lost money in Belmont or Arlington for quite some time. Courtesy of Cambridge economy.

There are bidding wars all over the Eastern MA, and you will be in one on the North Shore as well. Take time to consider if you will entertain situation where you pull out to get more house for your money, but where possibility of prices going flat or lower for a while, is more real than in Cambridge area. Rentals are also through the roof, so no worries if you can not, or do not want to sell. It can give you better piece of mind down the road, but it is an upfront sacrifice on space you can afford or not. There are many things to consider.

Flood/hurricane insurance is big deal too, so be very careful if you do end up on the coast. Homes might be less attractive to future buyers, and lot more expensive on a daily basis.

It is very hard decision where and what to buy, which is why we often joke here that buying a home is akin to picking up your poison (location, commute, schools, condition. price, etc...) Even very wealthy people have to make compromises.

Good luck.

Old 11-04-2014, 09:42 AM

304 posts, read 773,901 times
-----------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------

You should really try and visit Manchester by the Sea when you come here. It has a beautiful little downtown and there is a train station right there. But it is pretty far north - I am not sure if you could make it to Cambridge in an hour but most of your commute would be the train so it would be not too stressful. (And FWIW, with the drive to the commuter rail from Marblehead I don't think you'd make it in an hour either). But in my opinion, Manchester really is the most beautiful town on the north shore and the schools are excellent. Singing beach is just amazing too, and there is a cute harbor downtown too. Of course, it is a very pricey town but most of the towns with the best schools are.

Old 11-04-2014, 10:23 AM

10,006 posts, read 15,643,440 times
It looks like the train to North Station is a little under an hour.

MBTA > Schedules & Maps > Commuter Rail > Newburyport/Rockport Line

Old 11-04-2014, 10:24 AM

1,298 posts, read 1,331,642 times
You can sort this list on 5 year and 10 year price changes:

Best Places to Live 2014 - Single-Family Home Prices in Greater Boston

Old 11-04-2014, 05:32 PM

404 posts, read 826,329 times
From the north shore, doing the commuter rail to northstation/ez shuttle combo, you are looking at catching a 6:30 am train from (for example) Manchester or one of two trains (6:52 or 7:10) from Swampscott. On the way home there will be 4 trains that can get you to Swampscott but only two that leave for Manchester (to get you home by 7). These are things to think about. We happened to move into a town where the train stopped frequently, but when we were shopping we had no idea that despite having a train stop some towns had very very few trains go through. In commuting from/to some towns one 5:30 meeting can strand you downtown until 8.

Kendall is flat-out inconvenient and requires two modes of transportation if you use anything on a commuter rail line. But having to be there at 8 is a blessing since you will probably be able to park by beating people to either the commuter rail lot or the work parking lot. This "being in early" will allow you some choices on the coast that I would normally rule out for someone commuting to kendall. I think you are going in the right direction with Marblehead, you could also look into Hingham, (there's another one with good schools but I can't remember the name) on the greenbush line and change to redline for a 10minute ride to Kendall. Hingham also has a ferry to Rowes Wharf but I dont know what kind of busses are on the end to get to Kendall.

Old 11-09-2014, 11:43 AM

404 posts, read 526,205 times
I just got thrashed again last night by other-worldly north Shore (ahem....peabody) traffic. Saturday 5pm

As wonderful as marblehead is...I just can't recommend it b/c the traffic to go really anywhere is life-ruining. Its a shame.

Do yourself, your kids, and your poor husband a favor & buy as close to cambridge as possible.

Old 11-10-2014, 08:33 PM

1,298 posts, read 1,331,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by traffic_lover View Post
Do yourself, your kids, and your poor husband a favor & buy as close to cambridge as possible.
Couldn't agree more, having a 15 minute bike commute to Kendall is priceless. I get up from my desk at 5:15 and i'm hanging with the kids by 5:35. The fact that it's completely predictable is another big bonus, I know my arrival time within +-2 minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts