Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 11:36 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,804,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I think this is the earliest I've used any heat in years, honestly. Maybe I'm just getting old, but mostly it is to warm to place up before getting under the blankets.
Before I turned on the heat for the first time in mid-September, the temperature in my house dropped down to 58. It woke me up in the middle of the night. I went down to program my thermostat and threw on another blanket. I don't see how anyone can be comfortable in temperatures below 60 degrees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2014, 11:40 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,930,903 times
Oh 58 isn't even sweater weather. But each to their own.

Old 11-03-2014, 11:44 AM

50,330 posts, read 63,895,871 times
It is very early to turn on the heat here in Savannah. We tried to turn it on yesterday, but found out its broken. Yesterday morning the house was 60, and today 57. The HVAC guy just arrived.
We have a gas fireplace to take the chill off.

Old 11-03-2014, 12:07 PM

837 posts, read 1,224,821 times
Turned on the heat for the first time yesterday -- I'm one of those who will wait until the point of no return

Oil heat. 60-65F. We supplement with using the fireplace and a couple of space heaters in the less-insulated areas. Electric blanket on our bed because I absolutely cannot abide ice cold bedding :brr:

We also bundle up -- it's not unusual for me to wear fleece leggings under pants and a thermal top underneath all the outer layering, topped with a hoodie, in the house.

Old 11-03-2014, 01:06 PM

787 posts, read 780,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
Before I turned on the heat for the first time in mid-September, the temperature in my house dropped down to 58. It woke me up in the middle of the night. I went down to program my thermostat and threw on another blanket. I don't see how anyone can be comfortable in temperatures below 60 degrees.
Yeah 58 is pushing it. I usually keep it at 58 while I am at work then 64 when I get home. When I go to bed 62 in my room and 58 all around since I have electric heat and can adjust the thermostat in each room.

If I close the door of the second bedroom which I converted to a home theater and watch a 2 hour movie my 60" Panasonic plasma heats up the room about 5 degrees,

37% increase in our supply cost of electricity has made me think about sealing up the place better. I had a guy come out with a thermal imaging camera and we found some places with leaks. There's barely any insulation between my ceiling and my upstairs neighbor's first floor. Blown in insulation would be nice. Ductless mini split would be nice as well.

Old 11-03-2014, 02:43 PM

1,395 posts, read 5,082,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
Are you serious? My heat's been on since mid-September when it started dropping into the 40's at night.
Yes! I thought this was a game all New Englanders played.... To see how long they can hold out without turning on the heat.

I gave in when our low for the night dipped down to 28 degrees a couple of weeks go.
My heat is currently set at 63 which is a bit chilly, but not too uncomfortable. As long as I'm up & moving around it seems fine.

We have oil heat and those $700/$800 bills we get every time the tank gets filled are not fun so we hold out for as long as possible and keep the heat as low as we can stand it.

Old 11-03-2014, 02:47 PM

2,202 posts, read 5,354,667 times
This sums up my usual approach to turning on the heat quite nicely. It is a matter of pride. KellyCrash, YES it is a game all New Englanders play.

Cold Weather, Heating Bills & Why New Englanders Are Nuts

I got a text from a friend asking if I had made it to November 1 and had to tell her I had broken down and turned ours on Halloween. Cold I can deal with but the dampness was too much to bear. We had a couple of chilly evenings. I'm trying to convince my husband that he and I should sit in the den at night instead of our great room. We would probably save a fortune in firewood and oil if we closed that room off when it is just he and I home for the evening.

Old 11-03-2014, 03:51 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,917,428 times
Default Infant = No more messing around

I like it cold, my wife likes it warm. Every winter it was the constant debate about overnight temperature--she wanted 68 and I wanted 58. Now that we have a seven month old we keep the place at 68 when she's in the house. When she gets old enough to use a blanket safely I will hopefully convince my wife to let it get a bit cooler at night.

So yes, heat has been turned on since mid-October. We have oil heat and thermostats. I don't think the heat has actually turned on that much but it's there if need be.

Old 11-03-2014, 04:37 PM

50,330 posts, read 63,895,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
I like it cold, my wife likes it warm. Every winter it was the constant debate about overnight temperature--she wanted 68 and I wanted 58. Now that we have a seven month old we keep the place at 68 when she's in the house. When she gets old enough to use a blanket safely I will hopefully convince my wife to let it get a bit cooler at night.

So yes, heat has been turned on since mid-October. We have oil heat and thermostats. I don't think the heat has actually turned on that much but it's there if need be.
We live in the south, but we are northerners, so when our neighbors are bundled in hats and scarves, we might decide on long pants instead of shorts and sandals. When we lived in Ohio, our friends from MN hardly wore coats in the winter, so it's all relative. This week has started out cold, so I wore socks, because our furnace malfunctioned and it was 57 in the house this morning. I loved revisiting my LL Bean polar fleece robe.
Here, we have ample sunshine, even in winter, so we use the solar effect to our advantage. We won't get a hard freeze until Jan., probably, so its all good.

Old 11-03-2014, 04:44 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,650,295 times
Had the (gas) heat on a couple of times in October to take the dampness off. Have had it on starting Nov. 1 with the Nor'easter almost non stop. It's going to stay on at about 70-72 in the evenings from now on until...what's that word? Spring?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
View detailed profiles of: