U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2014, 04:08 AM
wme wme started this thread

11 posts, read 14,257 times

Advertisements

We're looking for a nice town in Western Massachusetts. One close enough though to other cities like example Northampton. But away from the college teenager scene. We can make a 30 minute drive in if needed. We're looking to rent a 2br duplex or townhouse type of apartment. 1ba or more. Absolutely have to accept cats and dogs. Min $650 Max $900 We like community based towns. With that comfortable vintage feel. We are looking for apartments with beautiful backyards so the kids and animals can play. Good town for children growing up. Somewhere where we can call home. And stay there.
Anything is appreciated! Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2014, 04:58 AM

18,031 posts, read 17,175,920 times
You could look in Easthampton to be right next to Northampton and get lower prices but the school system is bad. There is Hatfield to the north but it's fairly rural with farms, although good for families if you can find something there. Florence or Leeds, on the edge of Northampton have yards and maybe more of the type of house you are looking for. Williamsburg is great but expensive although it would probably have the type of houses and the land. If you head north there is South Deerfield that has a variety of housing and open land. It may be too far away but Whately too. To the far east of kiddleland is Belchertown which is very family oriented and could be cheaper. I've heard good things about their school system. The downside is that you have to pass through the traffic and the student area to get to Northampton. Traffic on rte 9 is difficult to say the least.

I'd recommend staying on the west side of the river to avoid the disruptive college kiddies. You will be subjected to kiddie antics in towns east of the river like Amherst, Hadley, and Sunderland.

Old 11-17-2014, 10:44 AM

2,945 posts, read 4,928,933 times
With a max budget of $900 per month, I think you would have better luck in towns like Greenfield or Agawam.

Old 11-17-2014, 02:14 PM

1,225 posts, read 2,417,274 times
Don't think a max of 900 will get you anything decent in the area at all. Even in Greenfield and especially in Agawam.

Old 11-17-2014, 03:22 PM

18,031 posts, read 17,175,920 times
You could check the classifieds in the Hampshire Gazette but the ones I recognize on here, I wouldn't live in. Maybe there is something though. I've never heard of anything for as low as $650 but if you can mange the $900 plus electric and heat, you might find something.

Daily Hampshire Gazette | Classifieds | Real Estate for Rent

western mass apts/housing for rent - craigslist

If Chicopee isn't too far, it has cheaper rentals. I don't know much about it except that there are a lot of big two family houses. I would avoid Greenfield due to the schools. You're going to have an especially hard time finding a place that will accept pets. Avoid Springfield and Holyoke at all costs.

Old 11-17-2014, 05:09 PM

727 posts, read 873,746 times
There are 2-beds in Greenfield and Turners Falls for that range sometimes but it could be hard to find one that accepts pets. Renting is a ripoff in this day and age - and Northampton area landlords depend on charging students and post-grads and transplants as much as their trust funds/ parents/ independent wealth made elsewhere will bear. Not to mention the six-figure professor types whose presence also ups the COL. I know a bunch of people in Franklin County whose mortgage payments are in your monthly range, though, houses ranging from $130-200k. Have some savings? Almost may as well buy, since rents have risen to mortgage levels even up here in the sticks. Schools are sorta meh, but plenty of people turn out alright from those districts, and they're very community-oriented towns.

Last edited by FCMA; 11-17-2014 at 05:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts