Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 01:05 PM

2 posts, read 3,015 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I will be moving to MA in a couple of months and would like some suggestions on where to rent:
I am looking for a 1brd apartment
Budget in $1000 to $1500 (depending on what's included in the lease)
I prefer the suburbs, rural areas, withing drivable distance to Waltham
I don't care much for the city or night life but maybe a town with a gym, a mall and movie theater

Thanks a bunch!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2014, 01:13 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,990,388 times
Waltham is one of the epicenters of traffic congestion on Rt. 128. Lots of office parks, and not particularly well-served by public transportation. So you're probably going to want to look fairly close to your job unless you don't mind a long commute (e.g. 10-15 miles away could be a 45-60 minute commute depending on where you're coming from).

I don't really have any specific suggestions, unfortunately. There are a lot suburban/rural towns along Rt. 2, which is convenient to Waltham, but I think traffic is going to be an issue on that road during rush hours as well. There are some pretty suburban parts of Waltham itself which might be your best bet. Otherwise, I would guess that you might be better off living somewhere where you don't have to commute by highway (but that's purely a guess as I've never driven that sort of commute during rush hour and I have no idea if you could find an apartment in that price range in Weston or Lincoln or one of the close-by suburbs, which are pretty pricy in general).

Old 11-23-2014, 02:10 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,240,337 times
Your option is to stay in Waltham, or go to Belmont, Watertown, Burlington. Closer to work, better. One decent bed apt. will probably cost you on a high end of your budget. There are few very rural areas in the area where you will be working, Lincoln being the only one, and probably more expensive than your desired budget.

You have gotten some good advice from Scrathie. Traffic in tough. Keep close.

Good luck.

Old 11-23-2014, 03:18 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,643,596 times
Look in Chelmsford, Westford, Acton, Maynard in your price range. Lots of green space and there is new shopping The Point in Littleton that is getting many fun casual eating places, a new Starbucks (hopefully a nice big one like the Belmont or Lexington ones) AND a new movie theater. I do the Waltham drive from Acton often. It is about 30 - 45 minutes depending when you leave the house. No need to deal with route 2 or 128 once you learn the back roads.

Old 11-23-2014, 05:59 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,737,232 times
Nina

You could find an OK apartment in Waltham in your price range. Waltham is up and coming with some interesting places to eat/drink. Some say the schools are mediocre but that is not an issue for you. Rent for year. Learn if you like the job and area before making other decisions.

Old 11-23-2014, 07:51 PM

204 posts, read 286,431 times
I see places on Padmapper for rent <$1500 in Burlington, Bedford, Billerica, Maynard, and the north side of Framingham. While none of them are exactly rural, they all have quieter, woodsy neighborhoods with the houses spread far apart. Burlington and Framingham have large malls and movie theaters and I'm assuming some gyms. Bedford is the most upscale town of that group, Framingham and Billerica the cheapest.

If you don't mind driving a little further, you could try Hudson or Marlborough which have access to more rural areas.

Old 11-24-2014, 05:55 AM

2 posts, read 3,015 times
Thank you all for the great tips.
I forgot to mention that my work days will start at 6:30 am (not sure if this well help avoid traffic).
I also don't mind increasing my rent budget to maybe $1600-$1800 if this means living in a peaceful green neighborhood.
Best,
N.

Old 11-24-2014, 05:30 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,807,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nina14 View Post
Thank you all for the great tips.
I forgot to mention that my work days will start at 6:30 am (not sure if this well help avoid traffic).
I also don't mind increasing my rent budget to maybe $1600-$1800 if this means living in a peaceful green neighborhood.
Best,
N.
I'd go with West Concord, Acton, Littleton, Westford. All within 30-45 min drive. I would personally live closer to work (aka, Waltham itself) and get out into the woods on the weekends.

06:30 start time will help immensely. Any later and you could be looking at a horrible commute from these places. How late will you work? If you plan to live west of Concord on Rt. 2 the rotary can drive you to insanity.

Old 11-24-2014, 05:35 PM

226 posts, read 386,591 times
That rotary is so awful

Old 11-27-2014, 10:31 AM

46 posts, read 73,834 times
Currently live in Waltham (South Side near Moody).

I would recommend starting in Waltham especially if you've never lived in MA. I moved here because of a job in Waltham at a startup and Waltham was the only place I could afford (tried to find a place in Medford/Cambridge but was way too expensive) - after all these years, I really appreciate the fact that Waltham is in the 'Middle' of the major cities. Its 15 minutes to North,South,East & West of all the major cities. Its just 20 minutes to the airport and Boston.

You'll appreciate the word 'Reverse' commute if you ever have a change in jobs in a different location.

Later when you're settled in, then you can make the decision. IMO, spending time in traffic should be avoided if at all possible - especially when you have an opportunity to be able to make that decision now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts