Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2014, 12:23 PM

145 posts, read 283,009 times

Advertisements

Acton is a beautiful town. Great for taking jogs and walks. They have a jazz club too, if you like those sorts of things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2014, 08:20 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,643,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redmaple9 View Post
I've had my heart set on it ithaca New York for years because with Cornell University the city is vibrant and there is lots to do. Due to family circumstances in looks like we will have to move to Massachusetts instead of ithaca. Would we be board in acton? Are there things to do? I lived in Lunenburg for years and found the are boring compared to ithaca. We are looking for a town close to the commuter rail so we can get into harvard under an hour. Is action beautiful like ithaca and Lunenburg or is there a lot of traffic and malls?
Thanks !
I find it a bit unusual that you lived so many years in Lunenberg, a town that is no more than 15 miles from Acton and never visited Acton or the surrounding towns. I recall your first post where you wanted to move to Winchester. Based on your many inquiries, i don't think you'll find both the academic environment with many public talks and "greenie" town that is your ideal anywhere close or far to Boston. As others have mentioned the suburbs closer to the colleges in Cambridge and Boston are fairly urban and the suburbs with the best green spaces are at least 15 miles away from the hub.

Concord, Groton, Andover having prep schools in town somewhat resemble New England college campuses, but are not college towns.

Old 12-06-2014, 07:06 AM

25 posts, read 39,056 times
Thanks for the thoughts everyone! While I've live in Lunenburg till 18, I left to go to school out of state and visit annually. Never spent much time in Acton other than to stop at Dunkin Donuts on the way to Boston. I love out of the country now so can't visit easily but will soon!! Really appreciate your comments.

How is the parking situation at the Acton commuter rail? still spots available after 9am?

Also, will all the trains go out to Harvard, MA when the track upgrades are finished or will the towns west of Acton still have poor service?

Old 12-06-2014, 09:07 PM

3,808 posts, read 3,138,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redmaple9 View Post
How is the parking situation at the Acton commuter rail? still spots available after 9am?
Not when I've tried. Alewife, Acton, and even Ayer are at capacity by 7am (or earlier) based my very limited sample size. A couple years ago, sure, but with the greatly improved Boston economy seems to have pushed the rail lots beyond capacity. I believe the Acton lot has <300 spots, so you can imagine it fills quite easily on weekdays.

For me, any trips to Boston after 9am are done via car as the rail lots are full and the roads are relatively smooth sailing. Of course, I am incentivised by the fact that my clients pick up the $25+ parking fees.

Old 12-07-2014, 06:01 AM

I find parking space at Alewife at all times of the day.

Acton has more parking for residents beyond the main lot. There is parking along Railroad Street for Acton residents with a sticker. The sticker is $50 and easily purchased at the Acton police department building. Someone told me there was a third lot for Acton residents, but I want to confirm that before posting.

Additionally, there is parking at the Acton Fire station on Central Street and also behind Mt. Calvary church on Massachusetts Avenue, route 111. A shuttle service takes riders back and forth from the train stop. It is $3 for one day or lower rate for a ten ride or year pass. The year pass is $200. There are also different rate passes if someone only needs the shuttle service but doesn't need to park at Mt Calvary or the fire station. It works well. I have taken it from time to time.

RedMaple since you said you had a budget of $700K in your first C-D post. I am certain you could find a home or very nice townhome walking distance to the train station, eliminating any parking issues altogether.

Anyhow, most town lots, other than the big subway parking lots such as Riverside Newton are going to be full by 9am. Most people need to get to work by 9am and are not looking for parking spaces at 9am anyways.

Old 12-07-2014, 08:52 AM

161 posts, read 231,012 times
The Acton commuter lots (including the resident overflow) tend to fill completely with the 7:08am express train. Not sure about the West Acton lot. I usually go to West Concord, which has plenty of parking still available at 8am when I take the train.

Old 12-09-2014, 05:21 AM

Thanks everyone for your kind and helpful replies! How about Littleton? Does that still have space around 10?

Old 12-12-2014, 06:22 AM

Thanks everyone for all the great posts. You make this forum extremely valuable!

Old 12-12-2014, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00na View Post
The Acton commuter lots (including the resident overflow) tend to fill completely with the 7:08am express train. Not sure about the West Acton lot. I usually go to West Concord, which has plenty of parking still available at 8am when I take the train.
The West Acton and Mt. Calvary lots are available with the shuttle up to the 8:58 train.

I also use the West Concord stop often. I have parked there at 9am. and there are still spaces there at that time. Not sure how quickly it fills up after that.

Most people need to be at work by 9am or sooner so this works for them.

I typically go directly to Alewife if I am going into town in the middle of the day and always find a parking spot there. Acton to Alewife is only a 30 minute ride after 9a.m.

Littleton recently upgraded the lot. I never use that one so I don't know what the situation is there. The MBTA site says 194 spaces for the lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts