Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 12:09 PM

165 posts, read 328,995 times

Advertisements

During our home search we didn't consider any homes with pools. To me the upkeep isn't worth the expense and hassle. My kids would love one I'm sure but it's too much of a safety hazard with little kids and I don't like the idea of them spending the day playing around in a vat of chemicals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2014, 12:35 PM

837 posts, read 1,224,954 times
My in-laws will be putting their house on the market next spring. They have a pool which they've meticulously maintained for years. It was great when my nieces/nephews were small. Now that they're grown, the pool just sits there (neither of my in-laws swims) and has become a money pit. Their realtor told them they're probably going to have to take a price reduction when they go to sell because "very few buyers want the maintenance responsibility".

Old 12-16-2014, 12:55 PM

24,456 posts, read 17,203,514 times
Pools are just big hot tubs, when you are in it there is nothing like it for relaxing but then add in the times you actually use it and the cost of upkeep.... both are not that great. We have a hot tub that I winterise due to the cost of keeping it warm doubles when the frigid temps hit us and who wants to bear the freezing dash to get into it?
If we used it all the time that might be a different story but a few times a week is a total waste.
Around the corner from us is a nice house with a beautiful heated salt water pool and guess what it has ben on the market for 6 months now.
Bottom line if you want and will use the pool then who cares about the resale. It does help if you can do the maintenance.

Old 12-16-2014, 01:10 PM

8,547 posts, read 14,012,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xo_kizzy_xo View Post
My in-laws will be putting their house on the market next spring. They have a pool which they've meticulously maintained for years. It was great when my nieces/nephews were small. Now that they're grown, the pool just sits there (neither of my in-laws swims) and has become a money pit. Their realtor told them they're probably going to have to take a price reduction when they go to sell because "very few buyers want the maintenance responsibility".
Absolutely. If there were two houses next to each other which were exactly the same but one had a pool, I would price the house with the pool lower. Of course, this is very localized advice. In places like Florida and Arizona pools are a must have and the exact opposite of what I've said would hold true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Pools are just big hot tubs, when you are in it there is nothing like it for relaxing but then add in the times you actually use it and the cost of upkeep.... both are not that great. We have a hot tub that I winterise due to the cost of keeping it warm doubles when the frigid temps hit us and who wants to bear the freezing dash to get into it?
If we used it all the time that might be a different story but a few times a week is a total waste.
Around the corner from us is a nice house with a beautiful heated salt water pool and guess what it has ben on the market for 6 months now.
Bottom line if you want and will use the pool then who cares about the resale. It does help if you can do the maintenance.
Yup. In the end, this is your home. So, enjoy it.

Old 12-17-2014, 10:28 AM

71 posts, read 171,384 times
I SO wish we had a pool. It's like a fireplace....except it's something to gather around in summer.

Not having a pool in summer is awful....but can't afford a house with a pool living inside or just barely outside of I-95.... probably not worth uprooting for at this point.

But pools are fantastic! Especially salt water. I say if you're not planning on moving, and you would enjoy using the (heated) pool....do it!

Old 12-17-2014, 10:34 AM

335 posts, read 938,842 times
I despise above ground pools but nice in ground pools are ok. To the point of this thread though for me I do not want to see a pool when I am looking at listings up here in MA.

Old 12-17-2014, 10:39 AM

71 posts, read 171,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personalensign79 View Post
I despise above ground pools but nice in ground pools are ok. .
Completely agree!! When I think "pool" an above-ground never even enters my mind. Glad you pointed out this important distinction.

Old 12-17-2014, 12:59 PM

8,547 posts, read 14,012,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personalensign79 View Post
I despise above ground pools but nice in ground pools are ok. To the point of this thread though for me I do not want to see a pool when I am looking at listings up here in MA.
My neighbor across the street has an above ground pool. It seems the pool spends more time in her driveway than it does in her yard. They're always power washing it and then it needs to sit in the sun and dry. It's there for weeks at a time it seems. I don't know how much swimming they get in.

Old 12-17-2014, 02:43 PM

3,808 posts, read 3,135,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by measured1 View Post
Completely agree!! When I think "pool" an above-ground never even enters my mind. Glad you pointed out this important distinction.
Another important distinction is most above-ground pools can be disposed of by a motivated homeowner and $600 worth of rented dumpster. Removing an in-ground pool requires thousands of dollars worth of excavation work.

When looking at properties, above-grounds get a shoulder shrug ... in-grounds get low ball offers (because I know a large percentage of buyers aren't interested).

Old 12-19-2014, 04:45 AM

325 posts, read 486,410 times
I bought a house with a pool, my parents house had a pool. They are fine if you look at a pool as a "hobby" that will require maintenance. It's nice to go swimming in the summer but pools are work. I am interested in the science and "tech" behind pools to a certain extent.

Pools aren't as permanent as you may think, you can turn a pool into a sunken patio, or a nice little lawn area if it ever becomes a burden. You will just need a large amount of substrate and soil, and they will need to jackhammer holes in the bottom so it doesn't flood. The next homeowner can turn it into a pool again if they want (remove the soil and fix drainage holes, if you look on pool forums this can be done). I'm simplifying it but they aren't absolutely permanent as some people may think.

The worst thing about pools is climate here in the Northeast, it's 3 months of swimming with you looking at a covered pool the other 9 months. They do not add to a house value whatsoever. Some people want pools, most do not. This is what makes me hesitate on pools for my future in the NE. If I moved to Florida, absolutely get a pool. Suburban Boston? Maybe not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts