Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2014, 08:48 AM

1,768 posts, read 3,229,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
Does East Arlington have many families with kids? As a single guy with a little dog, I am not sure if our op would want to be in a place where families with little kids dominate, no matter how nice the Minute Man trail is. I am not familiar with Arlington
Although Arlington attracts people with kids, there are tons of folks that would fit OP profile. Especially in East Arlington that is not deemed as desirable by families, since there are plenty of rentals that still cater to similar crowd you would find in Cambridge and parts of Somerville. It is very mixed neighborhood in general with great access to Cambridge and Boston, bike paths etc. It is worth OP checking it out IMHO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2014, 08:55 AM

12 posts, read 11,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
Come to Quincy. It's safe, has a long oceanfront area for your running, close to the Blue Hills, and lots of residential options in various price range. You might even settle down and buy a home here. It's close to everything in Boston, and Dorchester is right across the river. It also has lots of restaurants, and poised for a massive revival as many revitalization projects begin.
Quincy is definitely a top choice for me. I am scouring craigslist for studios but I do not see many posted :/. I keep seeing 1Bead/1Bath for 1500 or so. Is that reasonable for the area?
Thank you Penny!
George

Old 12-21-2014, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
George

Check the MBTA subway map. The color named lines are the subway lines.

Hope this helps.
Yes it does help, thank you John. I will be checking the subway map for sure.
Cheers,
George

Old 12-21-2014, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingeorge View Post
You do need to be careful. In Boston roads are tight, and most drivers do not play well with bikes.

I think East Arlington would be best fit since there are more bikers in general, and also more bike paths around. Stick closer to Alewife station area and you should be all set.

Good luck.
Thank you George. I will have a look at Arlington as well.
Coming from Montreal, I do know what its like to drive in narrow roads and the few but still in existence inconsiderate drivers . I think I will be fine.
Cheers,
George

Old 12-21-2014, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
I'm a cyclist too. There are many of us here so you'll be in good company. I'm in Brookline. Great town. If I want exercise I need to purposely lengthen my route to work (I work in Boston Beacon Hill/West End area). I take the Charles river trail/Esplanade for a big part of my way but am perfectly fine riding in/with traffic too. Trails are actually pretty dangerous with the runners, dog walkers, strollers, kids, etc. and they can really slow you down.

Put Lexington and maybe Concord on your list to check out. Lots of cyclists and commuters out there. And check out Charles River Wheelmen.

Best of luck and welcome.
Thank you G! I will add those cities in my list as well. I will also look into the Charles River Wheelmen club! this is the second item in my agenda--i.e. find a cycling club .
Cheers,
George

Old 12-21-2014, 11:07 AM

1,768 posts, read 3,229,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeGr View Post
Thank you George. I will have a look at Arlington as well.
Coming from Montreal, I do know what its like to drive in narrow roads and the few but still in existence inconsiderate drivers . I think I will be fine.
Cheers,
George
I know you would like to think that you get it, but you do not. In Boston, especially Quincy, you will be in for rude awakening. Metro Boston area is nowhere near as cultured when it comes to biking, from where you come from, and is consistently ranked as one of the rudest places in the nation, especially when it come to drivers, although we have other types of rude as well.

It is majority of people (very clueless when it comes to sharing the roads), and not few and far in between.

Cambridge is probably only decent exception with funding and support for regular bike rider, including decent paths, and designated lanes. Everywhere else we are good two decades behind the rest of civilized world.

Old 12-21-2014, 11:25 AM

hehe George, you know better, I have yet to step foot to Boston .
Cheers,
George

Old 12-21-2014, 12:31 PM

649 posts, read 812,792 times
Are you used to commuting year-round on the protected bike lanes in Montreal? It is VASTLY different here. Much more dangerous, cyclists are killed by cars yearly in Boston. My DH commuted from Waltham to the south end of Boston by bike in temperate weather, when he could take the bike paths for commuting, in the winter the bike paths are not plowed and a street commute was much to hazardous. I suggest your location selection involve a commuting back up plan if cycling is too hazardous but you don't find out until you do it.

Old 12-21-2014, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalamanderSmile View Post
Are you used to commuting year-round on the protected bike lanes in Montreal?
Not really, I make use of my mountain bike (in the winter with studded tires ) and my road bike (in the summer)--my route involved a 10 mile ride to downtown from the suburbs.

There were some close calls riding in Montreal over the years but I made it through. FYI, in Montreal we had two cycling fatalities this year AFAIK. How many cycling fatalities were in Boston, would you happen to know?

Cheers,
George

Old 12-21-2014, 03:23 PM

5,781 posts, read 5,082,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeGr View Post
Quincy is definitely a top choice for me. I am scouring craigslist for studios but I do not see many posted :/. I keep seeing 1Bead/1Bath for 1500 or so. Is that reasonable for the area?
Thank you Penny!
George
Yes, George, that sounds reasonable. There are many one bedrooms with all the bells and whistles that go for 2K or more a month. Location is also a factor for you because you want to be in an area where you can have access to parks and biking opportunities. Generally speaking, the northern and eastern sections of Quincy is better than the southern and western sections of Quincy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts