U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2014, 08:55 AM

11,869 posts, read 8,261,218 times

Advertisements

Attaining Disability in Massachusetts?
I know a guy who after several months of refusing going to the Hospital was finally dragged there and was diagnosed with complete kidney failure. This happened back in the middle of September and once it was determined that he was not goign to be able to go back to work he filed for disability. His wife is on disability due to all kinds of ongoing health issues. He was the number one bread winner and now that he cannot work the bills are really piling up. He filed for SSI but the money from that barely puts a dent in the bills.
How long does it take for disability payments to kick in? He has been told how much he will be getting but he is still waiting for it. Meanwhile the rent and other bills are unpaid. They are very lucky they have an understanding landlord.

It has been 4 months now and still no money. How does Massachusetts expect people to survive like this?

Old 12-27-2014, 09:42 AM

1 posts, read 1,231 times
Default Disabeled

The date that he applied will be retroactive to date approval. Yes it takes several months for the payments to begin.

Good Luck

Old 12-27-2014, 02:43 PM

This guys life has been put on hold and turned upside down and so has his wifes in order to take care of him. I don't know why there isn't a fast track for a cut and dry case like this. How can the state let someones bills pile up? They are in dire straits, their car might be reposessed not to mention piles of other bills they can't pay but the worse is the rent money. This is a really frustrating time for everyone involved. I have known of heroine addicts that have received better care from the state. I know of another case where the people stopped paying rent, trashed their rental house were evicted and had ot be led away in handcuffs and that weekend they had another house to live in paid for mostly by the state.
I'm starting to think if this guy had a drug problem and dare I say.... didn't speak English he would have been taken care of months ago.
The word around the dialysis room is that the state is known to draw out cases like this hoping the person will die.
It's a crazy world we live in but then again he is lucky to be getting any state aide.

Old 12-27-2014, 04:52 PM

6,106 posts, read 7,268,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
This guys life has been put on hold and turned upside down and so has his wifes in order to take care of him. I don't know why there isn't a fast track for a cut and dry case like this. How can the state let someones bills pile up? They are in dire straits, their car might be reposessed not to mention piles of other bills they can't pay but the worse is the rent money. This is a really frustrating time for everyone involved. I have known of heroine addicts that have received better care from the state. I know of another case where the people stopped paying rent, trashed their rental house were evicted and had ot be led away in handcuffs and that weekend they had another house to live in paid for mostly by the state.
I'm starting to think if this guy had a drug problem and dare I say.... didn't speak English he would have been taken care of months ago.
The word around the dialysis room is that the state is known to draw out cases like this hoping the person will die.
It's a crazy world we live in but then again he is lucky to be getting any state aide.

Get the news reporters in on this.

I'm sure Fox would love reporting about the good honest hardworking man and his wife who are being wronged by this soon to replaced administration.

Old 12-28-2014, 09:05 PM

6,322 posts, read 4,762,782 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
Get the news reporters in on this.

I'm sure Fox would love reporting about the good honest hardworking man and his wife who are being wronged by this soon to replaced administration.

It's interesting to see how people react to common problems in everyday life when the problems finally hit home with them.

This is how the system works. It sucks. It is nothing new. These are the types of people who are applying for disability daily and are denied. People lose their cars, homes (and worse) over common "bad luck" situations like this.

For anyone to say that if he had a drug problem or "didn't speak English" they would be helped sooner is foolish ignorance. They would probably get *health insurance* just as fast but your friend is in need of SSDI (social security disability insurance) and maybe also qualifies for SSI (supplemental security income.)

From your post, it seems as though the the husband worked a long career making fair to good money. They probably won't quality for SSI, only for SSDI. SSI payments are additional payments for those who would not make enough money on their SSDI alone. SSI plus SSDI is never more than SSDI alone.

If his SSDI will be over $1,300 a month for a family of 2, (i think this is the approximate amount) he will not qualify to receive SSI, only the SSDI. (Same for the drug addicts and illegals who usually make *much less* than that since the have not paid enough into the system by working.)

The comments about "waiting for him to die" are paranoia. The hospital staff may be agreeing with these thoughts to placate the family and friends, or out of their own ignorance. If an SSDI application is in process while the patient dies, his widow and/or dependents will still be paid if he is/was found disabled.

Your friend probably filed for SSDI in October and it is still only December. Even for the "cut and dry" cases the wait can be up to a year. The system does streamline a few terminal conditions such as AIDS. Almost everyone thinks their own case is "cut and dry" when the SSDI doctors reviewing these cases (his own doctors' input has less weight) do not agree.

It breaks my heart to see such cases being compared to others' misfortune such as "those being taken out in handcuffs." You don't know the history behind such anecdotal cases. (Many people who receive such government programs can be mentally ill or have brain injuries and it only takes one uncontrolled manic episode to damage a house, for example.) This is "section 8 housing" which is a whole other program which your friends will probably qualify for when their SSDI is approved. It has a long wait list of up to 5 years.

Due to your friends' upcoming reliance on SSDI, I am sorry to say that they may have to file for bankruptcy, lose their car, and find a cheaper rental. 1,300 per month does not go far in Massachusetts. (But then again, it sounds like his wife is getting her own SSDI payments.) He may qualify for more depending on his past work duration and income but I think 3k is the maximum and the average is about $1,000.

They can probably get food stamps if their income in the bank is under 2k total. (Keep in mind that the "illegals and drug addicts" are not making any more than your friend ultimately will be and whatever they get, is not coming any quicker.)

It's a sad situation indeed, but it is nothing new. Some people think that Massachusetts is "too liberal" when it comes to helping people but in reality, most of MA's programs are federally run.

And remember that when your friend is approved, many people are still going to see him as "living off the system, " no matter what his situation. People will still sneer at his wife when she uses her EBT card because even though she will be taking care of her husband at home, many will still look at her and say to themselves (and others on CD and beyond) that "there is no reason why this woman can't work."

I'm glad that you are showing compassion towards these people that you know. I hope I was able to describe the reality of their situation for you and anyone else reading this. It will not be a quick or easy road for them.

Old 12-29-2014, 06:48 AM

35,324 posts, read 25,191,392 times
Quote:
This guys life has been put on hold and turned upside down and so has his wifes in order to take care of him. I don't know why there isn't a fast track for a cut and dry case like this. How can the state let someones bills pile up?

They just do. I have a friend going through the process. Her lawyer told her the best thing that could happen to her is for her to be rejected fast. The faster she gets the rejectments, the faster she can get to the hearing stage where she has a chance. The defaults are automatic rejections. Not sure if that is true, but she held off filing because she hates the idea, but she simply can't work.

Old 12-29-2014, 08:15 AM

That was a good post Utopian Slums and I agree with most of it.

This is a very difficult financial road for this family never mind getting over the depression, dealing with the upside down upheavel of their lives and discomfort from 12 hours of dialysis per week.
They now need patience in life and patience with the slow process of the state. He is lucky to be alive.

Old 12-29-2014, 10:27 AM

101 posts, read 212,151 times
do you mind if i ask: what type of job did he have? how old is he? why does he have renal failure? the answers to these questions actually matter

Old 12-29-2014, 01:20 PM

He has been approved.
He knows how much he will be getting.
He was told that over a month ago so what is taking the state so long to transfer the money? At this point it should just be a matter of someone pushing a button to do the transfer.
Frustrating to say the least. This guy has mounting bills that are causing so much stress.

Old 12-29-2014, 02:56 PM

6,106 posts, read 7,268,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
It's interesting to see how people react to common problems in everyday life when the problems finally hit home with them.

This is how the system works. It sucks. It is nothing new. These are the types of people who are applying for disability daily and are denied. People lose their cars, homes (and worse) over common "bad luck" situations like this.

For anyone to say that if he had a drug problem or "didn't speak English" they would be helped sooner is foolish ignorance. They would probably get *health insurance* just as fast but your friend is in need of SSDI (social security disability insurance) and maybe also qualifies for SSI (supplemental security income.)

From your post, it seems as though the the husband worked a long career making fair to good money. They probably won't quality for SSI, only for SSDI. SSI payments are additional payments for those who would not make enough money on their SSDI alone. SSI plus SSDI is never more than SSDI alone.

If his SSDI will be over $1,300 a month for a family of 2, (i think this is the approximate amount) he will not qualify to receive SSI, only the SSDI. (Same for the drug addicts and illegals who usually make *much less* than that since the have not paid enough into the system by working.)

The comments about "waiting for him to die" are paranoia. The hospital staff may be agreeing with these thoughts to placate the family and friends, or out of their own ignorance. If an SSDI application is in process while the patient dies, his widow and/or dependents will still be paid if he is/was found disabled.

Your friend probably filed for SSDI in October and it is still only December. Even for the "cut and dry" cases the wait can be up to a year. The system does streamline a few terminal conditions such as AIDS. Almost everyone thinks their own case is "cut and dry" when the SSDI doctors reviewing these cases (his own doctors' input has less weight) do not agree.

It breaks my heart to see such cases being compared to others' misfortune such as "those being taken out in handcuffs." You don't know the history behind such anecdotal cases. (Many people who receive such government programs can be mentally ill or have brain injuries and it only takes one uncontrolled manic episode to damage a house, for example.) This is "section 8 housing" which is a whole other program which your friends will probably qualify for when their SSDI is approved. It has a long wait list of up to 5 years.

Due to your friends' upcoming reliance on SSDI, I am sorry to say that they may have to file for bankruptcy, lose their car, and find a cheaper rental. 1,300 per month does not go far in Massachusetts. (But then again, it sounds like his wife is getting her own SSDI payments.) He may qualify for more depending on his past work duration and income but I think 3k is the maximum and the average is about $1,000.

They can probably get food stamps if their income in the bank is under 2k total. (Keep in mind that the "illegals and drug addicts" are not making any more than your friend ultimately will be and whatever they get, is not coming any quicker.)

It's a sad situation indeed, but it is nothing new. Some people think that Massachusetts is "too liberal" when it comes to helping people but in reality, most of MA's programs are federally run.

And remember that when your friend is approved, many people are still going to see him as "living off the system, " no matter what his situation. People will still sneer at his wife when she uses her EBT card because even though she will be taking care of her husband at home, many will still look at her and say to themselves (and others on CD and beyond) that "there is no reason why this woman can't work."

I'm glad that you are showing compassion towards these people that you know. I hope I was able to describe the reality of their situation for you and anyone else reading this. It will not be a quick or easy road for them.
Very informative. However, one point you are overlooking. If the country wasn't supporting so many addicted people, there would be more benefits to go around and more resources for processing the paperwork faster for the people who are victims of circumstance, like CC Todd's friend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or