Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2015, 08:04 AM

8,499 posts, read 4,552,009 times

Advertisements

Will be worth watching the actions of Macy's which plans to close 35-40 stores nationally next year. Will any be in this area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2015, 08:06 AM

10,007 posts, read 15,647,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
Will be worth watching the actions of Macy's which plans to close 35-40 stores nationally next year. Will any be in this area?
There's a Macy's at the Swansea Mall, I can't imagine how it survives. They should put that whole mall out of it's misery.

Old 09-17-2015, 08:24 AM

816 posts, read 993,781 times
Quote:
I'm sure the smaller malls like Hanover and Swansea will be the ones more likely to get the axe. But the bigs ones like South Shore Plaza, Cambridgeside Galleria, Burlington, etc will probably keep them.

Old 09-17-2015, 12:49 PM

12,825 posts, read 21,993,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
There's a Macy's at the Swansea Mall, I can't imagine how it survives. They should put that whole mall out of it's misery.
Agreed. I think that Macy's is a "class A" or whatever they call a top level store too. When something hasn't been in stock at Taunton or Dartmouth, I've been sent to Swansea. It's always dead. It's probably going to go in the next round of cuts. Taunton may too which is a shame because Taunton is a big store. Dartmouth is better though.

Old 09-17-2015, 03:09 PM

779 posts, read 876,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtecluder617 View Post
AC Moore closed earlier this year, and just recently Radio Shack shut their doors too. And the Uno's right in front of the mall entrance closed too! Looks like they're doing something to it though and might be a restaurant again soon. But yeah that mall is usually dead. The wife and I only go there for Walmart and to occasionally eat at Moe's.
I've heard that Buffalo Wild Wings is going in at the old Uno's location, but it might just be a rumor.

Old 09-17-2015, 03:35 PM

9,521 posts, read 16,503,270 times
Quote:
I live right near the Emerald Sq Mall. It has lost some smaller stores during this economic downturn but still has its three main anchors - Macy's, Sears, and JC Penney. The mall is located in a densely packed retail strip along route 1/1A that runs from interstate 295 in North Attleborough to 95 and the MBTA Commuter rail stop in S Attleboro at the RI (Pawtucket) state line. New development is still continuing in this area adding new options to the already existing nearby big box stores (Target/Super Walmart/Burlington Coat/Kmart/Best Buy/Bob's/Toys R Us/Dicks/Bed Bath&Beyond/Christmas Tree Shoppes/BJ's Wholesale/Lowes/Home Depot/Staples/Stop & Shop/Market Basket). The area has also become a destination for furniture shopping (Cardi's/Raymour & Flanigan/LazyBoy/Sleepy's/Bob's Furniture), car shopping (CarMax/Toyota/Subaru/Nissan/Buick/Kia) and chain restaurants. This strip of road has so much retail in close proximity that I don't see Emerald Square closing. The consumer foot traffic is there. My expectation is that Simon will right the ship as the economy rebounds.
Yes Emerald Sq has lost some smaller stores, and it needs a facelift and makeover somewhat. Other than that is seems to have retained its anchor stores. There will probably be more retailing or restaurants across the street from the Mall. That Mobile Home Park is closing, and I imagine sold to an investor. The owners of the homes, were given notice some months back now. I think they were given a year notice.

Then there is all that development just south of the mall, where Hearth & Kettle was. I know Starbucks and Chipotle and some other restaurants are going in there. Plus another development next to that was just listed as being developed.

So there is so much business in the area now, I see Emerald Sq being around for awhile. Actually there is to much development in and around Rt 1. The road needs to be widened and modernized, for all this traffic and population now.

Old 09-17-2015, 08:44 PM

652 posts, read 749,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xo_kizzy_xo View Post
I'm not into it either. It'll be interesting to see who stays in business over the long run, though.
The trend is towards "fast fashion" such as H&M, Uniqlo, etc. Think old navy and that price point. You have plenty of options to buy lower priced clothes, in fact I think there's never been a better time.

Old 09-18-2015, 08:01 AM

8,499 posts, read 4,552,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Yes Emerald Sq has lost some smaller stores, and it needs a facelift and makeover somewhat. Other than that is seems to have retained its anchor stores. There will probably be more retailing or restaurants across the street from the Mall. That Mobile Home Park is closing, and I imagine sold to an investor. The owners of the homes, were given notice some months back now. I think they were given a year notice.

Then there is all that development just south of the mall, where Hearth & Kettle was. I know Starbucks and Chipotle and some other restaurants are going in there. Plus another development next to that was just listed as being developed.

So there is so much business in the area now, I see Emerald Sq being around for awhile. Actually there is to much development in and around Rt 1. The road needs to be widened and modernized, for all this traffic and population now.

You don't need to tell me about the traffic. I live in the neighborhood to the west between the mall and RI border. I can literally walk out my back door into the woods and come out on Route 1/1A. My neighborhood (which is quite different in character from Rte 1 with a stream running through it and having large lots, a horse farm, ball field, and golf course) gets a lot of traffic from people wanting to avoid driving a long stretch of Route 1/1A. It is especially worse during the holiday season. People cut through my area to come out on Cumberland Road at the Christmas Tree Shop or Allen Ave at the Target/Emerald Square Mall. My street is rather narrow with no sidewalks and has cars speeding down it. Many, ignoring signs, even try to drive two across wide over a one lane bridge.

I also agree with you on Emerald Square Mall not going anywhere. This stretch of road is a retail mecca which continues to have new growth. You mentioned the three new strips under development. In addition to those, two new car dealerships (Subaru and Kia) opened in this area in the last year. I can't see Simon closing this mall with all the nearby consumer foot traffic. In my opinion, the only other area in MA that clearly has more retail in such a compact area is Natick/Framingham. North Attleborough/S Attleboro is now similar to the Natick/Framingham, Nashua-NH, and Warwick/W Warwick-RI shopping meccas.

Old 10-13-2015, 01:50 PM

5,321 posts, read 3,204,475 times
By chance, I had just read an article stating that no new enclosed mall has been built in the US since 2006. That goes to show the shopping preferences of Americans. Many of the new developments I see are outdoor shopping centers and mixed use developments (to simulate a "downtown" feel). Patriot Place is a great example of the today's "mall".

Someone mentioned a few posts up about dead malls - the website is DeadMalls.com: Stories

Old 10-13-2015, 01:52 PM

3,176 posts, read 3,693,742 times
My issue with Patriot Place is that I have to check the Gillette stadium event calendar before I decide to go. Once there it feels like a disjointed sidewalk in the middle of nowhere with some stores next to it. The "south marketplace" is just a strip mall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts