Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2015, 09:25 AM

12,848 posts, read 22,021,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
The occupancy % is probably based on overall square footage. Given the anchors make up a large portion of the sf, it makes sense. The smaller individual stores in the inside of the mall usually do not have a lot of sf.
This. It's based on the percentage of total square footage occupied, not the number of storefronts occupied. A walk through the mall reveals what appears to be closer to 50% vacancy, but the anchors are occupied and fill most of the space in the building.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2015, 10:13 AM

10,014 posts, read 15,662,194 times
They may be including that Walmart in their percentage which is on the property but not part of the actual mall.

Old 10-23-2015, 04:34 PM

11,755 posts, read 7,114,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
I find it hard to believe that Swansea has a 75% occupancy rate. Except for the anchors, that mall is pretty much vacant.
I agree with that 100%. It's only one or two anchor non-renewals from bankruptcy.

Mick

Old 12-06-2015, 04:51 PM

2,463 posts, read 2,788,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Patriot Place even has some vacancy issues. They very carefully hide their vacant storefronts behind faux storefront facades. Pay close attention next time you walk through there, it's not exactly at capacity. I find it underwhelming each time I go. Like you said, if there's an event, forget about it. Even though they do offer 2 hour parking (not nearly enough time for dinner and a movie) for free during games and events, the traffic makes it not worth it. I think it's a unique shopping center, but it's certainly not particularly wonderful.
Introducing Patriot Place seemed odd to begin with, and kind of proves that when such plazas are built there may not be overwhelming concern for their success. It didn't make sense to build that much shopping in Foxboro when it was right next door to Emerald Square, with all the other stores along route 1 going towards Pawtucket. Patriot Place seemed to depend on Gillette Stadium traffic as it's primary draw.

Old 12-06-2015, 05:34 PM

10,014 posts, read 15,662,194 times
Patriot Place is doing just fine. It's Emerald Square that I have doubts about. Different sort of patrons frequent each.

Old 12-07-2015, 11:06 AM

12,848 posts, read 22,021,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
Patriot Place is doing just fine. It's Emerald Square that I have doubts about. Different sort of patrons frequent each.
Patriot Place has more vacant storefronts on the pedestrian mall stretch than it should. But I agree, I'm not too worried about it. The location at Gillette Stadium and the more unique brands (i.e. BassPro, Trader Joes, Patriots ProShop/The Hall, Toby Keith's, CBSscene, Showcase Live/Cinema DeLux, Skating Rink, etc.) than most malls which make it a destination as it is right now. Having a hotel (soon to be two) right on-site adds consistent traffic too. It could be better. I expect it to get better given the commitment from the ownership group and the room for growth. Many of the indoor malls in the region (including this thread's namesake) have trouble setting themselves apart as a unique destination in a region flooded with chain retail. Patriot Place doesn't have that problem.

Old 12-07-2015, 11:30 AM

3,176 posts, read 3,696,023 times
The problem with Patriot Place is the fact that I have to check the Gillette Stadium calendar every time I want to go there.

Old 12-07-2015, 11:47 AM

91 posts, read 127,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Patriot Place has more vacant storefronts on the pedestrian mall stretch than it should. .
It its a recent thing, then I believe the vacant store fronts were due to stores vacated to build a hotel.

Old 12-07-2015, 12:07 PM

1,708 posts, read 2,910,969 times
I am enjoying seeing malls die a slow death. They represent a lot of things wrong with this country. Its like seeing Blockbuster go out of business after ruining so many local video stores. Sweet sweet tears.

I shop local or online, only go to malls to try things before I buy them online.

Old 12-07-2015, 12:36 PM

3,268 posts, read 3,322,067 times
It seems like any mall that isn't 'high end' with high end stores is not doing well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts