Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2015, 08:10 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,917,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
^^^Exactly. Sales taxes and gas taxes collected outside the MBTA's service area and income taxes collected outside Boston and Cambridge should be used for any purposes other than the MBTA.

Using myself as a case in point, I live in New Hampshire. I religiously fill my gas tank in New Hampshire unless I am traveling. I also make all my purchases in New Hampshire or online. I do not contribute to Massachusetts sales or gas taxes on principle. However I do presently work in the MA suburbs at an employer where no one uses the MBTA. My income taxes paid to the state of Massachusetts should not be used for the MBTA.

Boston and Cambridge employers and the riders should bear the brunt of funding the MBTA.
What makes you think they don't already do? I have yet to see a detailed accounting of where money comes from and where money goes. It's clear that Boston and Cambridge use a lot of transportation resources but they also generate a great deal of the state's revenues.

If you want a Super-Libertarian form of government where everything is based on user-paid fees that's understandable, but if you just don't want to pay for stuff you don't use while you're perfectly happy to have others pay for stuff you do use that just seems unfair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I am NOT in favor of giving them sales tax from people who have never even used it in their entire lives. The people who use it should pay for it. There are millions of people in this state who live nowhere near it and have only heard of it--believe it or not.

Maybe cut the high salaries of some of them, if they can. Put a few people in charge the way they do with a failing school system. Make them accountable, give them a certain amount of time. Don't just throw money at it.
Let's do this. Metro Boston won't take a cent from the rest of the state and the rest of the state won't get a cent from Metro Boston. I'm not actually sure who would fare better, but it would at least be more transparently equitable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2015, 11:21 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,650,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
What makes you think they don't already do? I have yet to see a detailed accounting of where money comes from and where money goes. It's clear that Boston and Cambridge use a lot of transportation resources but they also generate a great deal of the state's revenues.

If you want a Super-Libertarian form of government where everything is based on user-paid fees that's understandable, but if you just don't want to pay for stuff you don't use while you're perfectly happy to have others pay for stuff you do use that just seems unfair.

Let's do this. Metro Boston won't take a cent from the rest of the state and the rest of the state won't get a cent from Metro Boston. I'm not actually sure who would fare better, but it would at least be more transparently equitable.
Only if you give us back the Swift River. The "other" part of the state gave it away to EMass back in the '30s so that Boston could have more drinking water. Quabbin Resevoir is there instead of the towns and the river. Boston needed more water so that Boston could get bigger. Boston always needs more and more so it can get bigger and bigger. More and more crowded too.

Old 02-14-2015, 11:49 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,930,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
The rest of the state would be in a gutter. Like VT minus Burlington,but even worse. It would be a red welfare state. The numbers don't lie.

Old 02-14-2015, 11:55 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,930,903 times
Quote:
Dude, do you understand the concept of subcontracting? The MBTA owns the commuter rail locomotives. The MBTA owns the commuter rail coach cars. The MBTA owns most of the commuter rail tracks (Worcester line is the exception). The MBTA sells the commuter rail passes. However the MBTA subcontracts the labor for the commuter rail out to Keolis (and MBCR and Amtrak before that). Commuter rail is part of the MBTA.

I do. I've worked for and been part of management of wholly owned subsidiaries.

The Commuter Rail is a separate system as you propose. A subsidiary.

If you drive to MA for work in any area of the MBTA, you benefit from it. If you are a net beneficiary of tax dollars in the Commonwealth, you benefit from it. Anyone that uses the roads within the region, benefits from it.

Old 02-15-2015, 09:58 AM

7,920 posts, read 7,805,758 times
Yes the commuter rail is owned by the MBTA. The management contract right now is Keolis, it was a ugly fight with MBCR but it is Keolis.

At this point the MBTA is probably in dire straights. To be frank I worked a bit in transit and the MBTA is NOT run well. It has serious issues with infrastructure, administration, management and service.

1) FTA suggests a life of a bus to be at 10 years and railcars at 25 years.
https://www.bostonherald.com/news_op...g_repair_needs
The MBTA stopped assessing repair needs back in 2009. The railcars being used date from the late 1960's to early 1980's. At best the railcars were supposed to be taken out of service in 2008..at best

2) The rails themselves are not elevated unlike other transit authorities. This means if snow, wind, rain or debris blows around it's more likely to get on the tracks.

3) Take a look at this for a moment. http://tinyurl.com/m45reyd
See that big mound of blankness in Springfield? That was a westinghousing facility. It's 40 acres
Announcement related to proposed Springfield rail car factory expected | WWLP.com
It won't start full production for another two years and probably won't finish the fleet of MBTA cars for another three years.

Now this wouldn't be that big of a deal had I not been reading the Power Broker. It's a book about government and was published 41 years ago.

The same issues the MBTA is facing now are nearly EXACTLY what the MTA faced in the late 1960's/early 1970's. These are not problems that someone can throw money at and fix.

page 930 "In 1974, people using subways and railroads in and around New York were still riding on tracks laid between 1904 and 1933, the last year before Robert Moses came to power in the city. Not a single mile had been built since"

page 931 "The cars into which subway riders were crammed were cars thirty and fourty years old in 1955, and due for replacement. ...They were not replaced and in 1965, almost 20% of NY's subway cars had been in use for more then a half century."

page 931 "Not only were new cars not purchased; the old one were not repaired. It was about 1956 that there was instituted on the NYC subway system, because of alack of funds, a policy of "deferred maintenance" a phrase which, translated into practice, meant that breaks and signals and switches were inspected less frequently, that electrical relays which should have been replaced every five years were replaced every thirty years, that the vast system was sometimes completely "out" of light bulbs to replaced burnt out signals, alcohol to keep switches from freezing, and other basic supplies. "

It goes on to detail people being trapped/stranded on cars, smoking coming from tracks/cars and so forth.

If the MBTA was a private carrier the FTA would have shut them down years ago. Crystal Transit had the UMass Boston route, basically one big loop (if you were there you know what I mean) Basically it's a loop to go from the entrance to the subway station. They did not perform safety checks for years and were shut down by the feds.
UMass Boston hires bus vendors to replace Crystal Transport after carrier failed federal safety probe - Business news - Boston.com

Maybe they should just look at shutting down the system for the winter at this point. December to February, November to March etc. I know some argue about eastern and western mass of who pays what but to be honest with you I would argue the large employers, academia and hospitals should be footing the bill here because they gain more then anyone else in boston from the mbta. 93% of all federal transit funds for Mass go to the MBTA. The remaining go to SRTA, WRTA, BAT, PVTA etc. We don't see those issues (for the most part) at other places because frankly they have to compete in areas that are more suburban with less people and thus more competition from cars, bikes and just walking. Parking in Boston during the day is next to impossible unless you have some major funds.

In lieu of this the other option is for employers to simply just leave the city and go to other areas. Lowell, Lawrence, Lynn, Fall River, New Bedford, Brockton, Springfield etc. The conditions that exist right now with the MBTA are still going to be there for at least another four years. How many employers want to wait out four years of a seasonal transit system?

Old 02-15-2015, 10:08 AM

3,268 posts, read 3,319,612 times
Default re

Has there really been talk of the mbta being seasonal until it gets updated? That's crazy

Old 02-15-2015, 10:23 AM

3,176 posts, read 3,693,252 times
I don't think a seasonal shutdown is a viable option because it would devastate the MA economy. I am starting to think a 1 week shutdown wouldn't be the worst idea if they could actually repair the system enough to make it functional again. However, I'm not sure that would be enough.

Old 02-15-2015, 10:30 AM

9,068 posts, read 6,298,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
I know some argue about eastern and western mass of who pays what but to be honest with you I would argue the large employers, academia and hospitals should be footing the bill here because they gain more then anyone else in boston from the mbta.
Absolutely. Those large entities (Harvard, MGH, Northeastern, Liberty Mutual, State Street, BU, etc.) that create the most need for the MBTA should foot the bill for its maintenance and upkeep.

Old 02-15-2015, 10:38 AM

3,176 posts, read 3,693,252 times
Quote:
Absolutely. Those large entities (Harvard, MGH, Northeastern, Liberty Mutual, State Street, BU, etc.) that create the most need for the MBTA should foot the bill for its maintenance and upkeep.
I just want to point out that while people love to rag on colleges because of their non-profit status, they still pay payroll tax, and their employees pay the same taxes everyone else does. Also their mere presence generates so much economic activity for the region as a whole.

Old 02-15-2015, 10:47 AM

9,068 posts, read 6,298,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
I just want to point out that while people love to rag on colleges because of their non-profit status, they still pay payroll tax, and their employees pay the same taxes everyone else does. Also their mere presence generates so much economic activity for the region as a whole.
Oh, I didn't single out the colleges. The colleges are just one category of large entities that should support the MBTA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts