Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 01:26 PM

3,808 posts, read 3,135,852 times

Advertisements

While I've always loved driving through Sterling, I have never heard much of the town due to, I suspect, the limited resident population and distance from metro-west. I'm strongly considering Sterling for a home purchase as it offers the same bucolic appeal of Groton/Dunstable, Bolton, or Harvard at a much lower entry price (with west Groton perhaps being an exception). It also offers my fiancee and I nicely split commute to our current employers, both of which should provide long term employment.

My general impression, having dabbled with census and school data, is that it is a generally stable Worcester suburb with relative affluence and a well performing school system. The homes I have viewed are surrounded by some fairly high-dollar builds spanning multiple decades, suggesting the neighborhoods have been upper-middle class or white collar for some time. The landscape is generally beautiful - rolling hills with a mixture of cleared and wooded lots.

I suppose my hesitation is regarding the town politics and the general trajectory of the town. Is the town committed to maintaining a rural feel? Acreage minimums? Actively creating conservation land? Careful approval of commercial/residential developments? Still largely private septic?

Having grown up in east-central MA and seen towns transition from semi-rural towns to condensed sprawl, well, I know I don't want that. What I like about Groton and Dunstable is their commitment to controlled growth (unlike Westford), but I haven't seen an indication that Sterling is equally committed to maintaining it's current appeal.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Shrewsburried; 01-26-2015 at 01:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2015, 01:38 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,638,276 times
What would you do if you ever needed access to public transportation and ended up living there? Nearest commuter rail stop Leominster on the Fitchburg line?

Old 01-26-2015, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
What would you do if you ever needed access to public transportation and ended up living there? Nearest commuter rail stop Leominster on the Fitchburg line?
Having lived in Boston and commuted in/out of the city hundreds of times, I can assure you I would never take a full time position in the city unless I was truly desperate and had exhausted all other options. While I love the occasional visit or client meeting in Boston, a daily commute is my vision of a non-fictional hell.

In fact, I'm actively "under buying" with the hopes of paying off a mortgage in 10-15 years and avoiding the high mortgage/high income hamster wheel that is eastern MA.

Old 01-26-2015, 03:35 PM

Sterling doesn't have the topography or striking architecture of Groton or Harvard. It is more like Littleton. I see a lot of ranch homes and McMansions in Sterling.

Maybe look in West Boylston?

Old 01-26-2015, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Sterling doesn't have the topography or striking architecture of Groton or Harvard. It is more like Littleton. I see a lot of ranch homes and McMansions in Sterling.

Maybe look in West Boylston?
Really? Have you driven through the town center and the more rural roads away from 12/190? I find little difference aesthetically from Groton (a town which I spend a great deal of time in, due to proximity and my commute). Sure, Groton certainly has a number of beautiful Platt renovated colonial era estates, but once outside the town center, it quickly becomes your run-of-the-mill cape/colonial burbs. I will gladly concede that Harvard offers both beautifully design/maintained homes and breadth ... a truly top-tier town.

The topography of Littleton is far too different from Sterling to compare (it's far more flat), though the housing stock might be similar due to their working class roots.

Regardless, I'm not seeking alternatives to Sterling ... just feedback on the local politics and general vibe of the town.

Old 01-26-2015, 04:32 PM

... and to be clear, I appreciate that you are always trying to help 495neighbor (whether within this thread or others). I was a bit short in my last response.

Old 01-26-2015, 04:40 PM

10,007 posts, read 15,647,185 times
Sterling has been mentioned in multiple threads on this forum. I'm sure if you do a search you can find many more besides this one: Sterling MA

I've only been there once, but if I were relocating to central Mass., I would certainly consider it.

Old 01-26-2015, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
Really? Have you driven through the town center and the more rural roads away from 12/190? I find little difference aesthetically from Groton (a town which I spend a great deal of time in, due to proximity and my commute).
Yes, I have driven through the Sterling town center quite a few times and just live map searched it to be sure I wasn't missing anything. It seems to only have one pizza parlor and a few banks, similar to the Shirley town center. By the way, I love hidden gems, a la Chronicle and New Hampshire Crossroads and I was hoping to prove myself wrong.

Incidently, I just did a real estate site search on Sterling and it pretty much came up with new development and ranches.

I recall you said you were a fan of craftsman and modern style architecture, and artisan details like stonework, like me, in another of your posts.

Personally, if I was going to live that far outside Boston, I'd have to live in higher altitude such as Townsend or Westminster to be blissful. I know off-topic.

Hope, another poster can enlighten you about town politics and projected development in Sterling. FCMA where are you?

Old 01-26-2015, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Incidently, I just did a real estate site search on Sterling and it pretty much came up with new development and ranches.

I recall you said you were a fan of craftsman and modern style architecture, and artisan details like stonework, like me, in another of your posts.
You're certainly observant and yes, I prefer American architecture of the early to mid 20th century. Simply more inspired, in my opinion, then the average contemporary structure. This said, four squares and bungalows tend to be on city/exurban lots (Hudson, Clinton, Worcester, etc.) and the mid-century homes I adore are quite rare (and usually beyond my budget). So, I find myself having to compromise due to desired location and budget.

Despite Sterling's current inventory, I have seen a number of listings which satisfy most of my architectural wants, albeit within a slightly hamfisted eary-80's contemporary style - open layouts, generous ceilings, well placed windows, grand fireplaces, etc.

Perhaps in another life I'll have a Deckhouse in Carlisle ...

Old 01-27-2015, 08:57 AM

1,025 posts, read 1,528,212 times
I'm here I'm here! Honestly just don't know much about Sterling somehow. Have never done more than pass through and don't know anyone from there very well. Seems like a nice small town to live in if you work in Worcester or Leominster (190 is a traffic-free superhighway), the Wachusett school district is quite good for Central MA, not much business or entertainment in town, and unsure about their conservation ethic and efforts. Seems like there are still a good number of working farms but is that because of conservation effort or because of a lack of development inertia that keeps it from becoming another North/West/Southborough? Hmm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts