Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2015, 08:24 PM

120 posts, read 251,154 times

Advertisements

Looks like we'll be moving to the Hyannis area soon. How would you rate the mall and surrounding shopping stores as far as the number/variety of stores it has, and if there are any nice restaurants? I see there's a BJ's, but no Costco, a Home Depot, but no Lowes. A quick search turned up a Chipotle's...is it in the mall, itself? What would be the next decent sized shopping area (town/city) apart from the Cape Cod mall?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2015, 07:10 AM

24,332 posts, read 17,065,160 times
Hyannis and Falmouth are the most built up towns on the Cape. There is a Walmart in Falmouth and they have a really nice down town. Chatham also has a really nice downtown with lots of shopping.
Hyannis is more of a city than a town. Across the street from the Mall is a strip mall with several small stores and a Kmart as an anchor. The Home Depot is very small for a HD. Lowes tried to build a large store in Dennis but it was shot down. Us Cape Codders like to hold onto a bit of old cape cod and change is difficult for us. We do have Mid Cape Homecenters for your building needs.
Several towns have Tj Max or Marshalls usually in the same plaza as a Stop and Shop or Shaws. There are also many Christmas Tree Shops, Ocean State Job Lot and a few Benny's sprinkled around the Cape. All are retail stores.
The Cape is all about the Beach, Shopping and Eating.
Once you arrive on Cape go exploring and you will find some nice surprises. It is hard to get lost.

Old 01-31-2015, 07:26 AM

2,202 posts, read 5,343,099 times
The CC Mall has all your typical mall stores from Teavana to Abercrombie. The Macys has a weird set up- 2 locations- one houses men's and housewares, the other, women's clothing and accessories. There are various plazas throughout Hyannis with stores like Kohl's, KMart, Whole Foods, Trader Joe's and Home Goods. The BJ's and Home Depot are both smaller than average aize.

Chipotle is attached to the mall but you don't have to go in to access it. There is also a food court.

Lots of gift shops, boutique stores and restaurants in downtown Hyannis. For restaurants, we like Brazilian Grill, Columbo's, Alberto's and Embargo on Main Street. Pizza Barbone and Palio's have decent pizza. Sea Street Cafe is our favorite breakfast and lunch spot. And off of Main Street Roadhouse is our favorite dinner spot. At the water front you can't go wrong with Black Cat, Spankys and Tugboats. Interesting, BLack Cat, Columbo's and Roadhouse are all owned by the same family. If you like good quality bread, head over by the airport to Pain Davignon. Be warned you will never buy the mass produced, presliced junk again. They are also a smal cafe.

In summer, Baxter's Boathouse is a fun spot. Bring a lot of $. It's the most expensive clam shack you will ever eat at but the view is worth the price.

The next biggest chain shopping area is Mashpee Commons. It is open air and more upscale than CC Mall. It is definitely geared toward adult in both the retail choices and atmosphere. You don't see throngs of teens hanging out. I find it's a great mix of national chains and small mom and pop shops and restaurants. There is also an upscale bowling pub.

Over in Falmouth you can find the only Wal Mart on Cape. Downtown Falmouth is great. Lots of small, independent shops, boutiques and restaurants. We make special trips just to go to Maisson Vilette for baked goods and Taste of Italy for Italian ingredients.

I won't rate the CC Mall only because for a variety if reasons, I don't like it I'm not a mall person and it feels dark and dreary to me. I'd give Mashpee Commons a B+ the only reason it's not an A is the lack of parking. We don't go during summer, it's always packed.

Old 01-31-2015, 10:10 AM

24,332 posts, read 17,065,160 times
Good call Beachcomber I forgot about Mashpee Commons.
I think Pudy68 will find like most of us have that when heading off Cape it is good to do a stock up shop including filling the gas tank. Bourne and Wareham is just a quick jump over the Bourne Bridge anytime but the Summer that is.
I second Black Cat and Baxters for food and will add Sam Diegos for Mexican.

Old 01-31-2015, 01:25 PM

2,202 posts, read 5,343,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I think Pudy68 will find like most of us have that when heading off Cape it is good to do a stock up shop including filling the gas tank. Bourne and Wareham is just a quick jump over the Bourne Bridge anytime but the Summer that is.

I second Black Cat and Baxters for food and will add Sam Diegos for Mexican.
That is true. Should we also tell Pudy that during summer, we forgo savings and will spend $10 for a pound of pasta at the local gourmet shop just to avoid the traffic and crowds?

I like Sam Diego's but love Anejo in Falmouth. Have you tried the New Mexican restaurant where Outback used to be? Curious how it was.

Old 01-31-2015, 01:52 PM

120 posts, read 251,154 times
Default Grateful

Wow! Thank you all for great, insightful responses! This thread is a keeper. I feel even more comfortable with an upcoming move. Now, if only I could settle on real estate!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts