Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you live in Mass. outside of Boston?
Yes 26 70.27%
Maybe/unlikely 5 13.51%
Never 2 5.41%
Already do 4 10.81%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 07:25 AM

227 posts, read 283,257 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhill View Post
... unless, like ladyAlice, you like the lakes and pines and birds of Mass, and in that case NYC offers no value at all.
I find it interesting that she lives in Florida, which is quite lacking on the pine front, but certainly lovely on the birds matter (albeit many different). I know this question is very subjective and I asked it for that reason- many perspectives.

ladyalice- What led you to move to Florida from up North? Is politics the only thing that may drive you back north? My soon-to-be husband and I rent in Boston now (if anyone couldn't guess) and we were considering Florida in 4-5 years when we both finish school and start to look into properties to buy. The northeast is very expensive and I love visiting Florida (locals' areas, not just Orlando/Tampa/etc.) to see family. I could *almost* see us living there but it is a huge culture shift, I know!

Also sorry for the double post. The prior post and this one just seemed too irrelevant to put together.

Last edited by EconHusky; 02-05-2015 at 07:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2015, 08:07 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,930,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EconHusky View Post
I find it interesting that she lives in Florida, which is quite lacking on the pine front, but certainly lovely on the birds matter (albeit many different). I know this question is very subjective and I asked it for that reason- many perspectives.

Oh good heavens, no it isn't! It is one of the most important eco types of Florida (and the entire SE)!!! Sure, lots have been cut (long leaf pine), but mostly replaced with other pines in plantations.

Old 02-05-2015, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Oh good heavens, no it isn't! It is one of the most important eco types of Florida (and the entire SE)!!! Sure, lots have been cut (long leaf pine), but mostly replaced with other pines in plantations.

All I see are the stereotypical palms when I visit Jacksonville to Daytona area. Maybe that's just there? Or I'm blind?

Old 02-05-2015, 09:39 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,930,903 times
Quote:
All I see are the stereotypical palms when I visit Jacksonville to Daytona area. Maybe that's just there? Or I'm blind?

There are many ecotypes in Florida. Pines are one of the major ones. Maybe you don't see them because they look different structurally than our pine forests? Or perhaps you just visit very developed areas?

In fact, in both north and south Florida pine flatwood ecosystems are the dominant woody ecosystem in the State. They're primarily comprised of slash pines, pond pines, and longleaf pines.

Here's a non scientific pop piece on some of the ecosystems of pine:

http://traveltips.usatoday.com/infor...da-106906.html

Old 02-06-2015, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
There are many ecotypes in Florida. Pines are one of the major ones. Maybe you don't see them because they look different structurally than our pine forests? Or perhaps you just visit very developed areas?

In fact, in both north and south Florida pine flatwood ecosystems are the dominant woody ecosystem in the State. They're primarily comprised of slash pines, pond pines, and longleaf pines.

Here's a non scientific pop piece on some of the ecosystems of pine:

Information on Pine Forests of Florida | USA Today

OH. I remember those, I was thinking of our northern pines. Slightly more dense. Now I remember what you're talking about though. I

Other than palms, this is all that comes to my immediate memory from Florida:

Whereas I think of pines as less lush and a much darker green. I also took a ton of pictures at Blue Spring to keep that memory fresh!

Anyway, thanks for setting me straight

Old 02-06-2015, 09:37 AM

48 posts, read 54,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyalicemore View Post
If I could afford Manhattan, I would live there. (I used to.) I love Boston, but I don't want to live there. I love the lakes and pines and birds, etc. of MA. I grew up in Stoughton, which used to be a different place from what it is now. I miss the old place, but it's evidently gone. .
Can you tell me why this is? We are considering a few houses in Stoughton.
We are married with no kids, but are looking to reproduce within the next 2 or 3 years. We are 27 and 26. Looking for a house under 400K. Both work in Boston so commuting is big and we are not ready to be in the middle of nowhere (we would like some life in our town; bars, restaurants, commuter).

Old 02-06-2015, 10:46 AM

10,006 posts, read 15,643,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gokav13 View Post
Can you tell me why this is? We are considering a few houses in Stoughton.
We are married with no kids, but are looking to reproduce within the next 2 or 3 years. We are 27 and 26. Looking for a house under 400K. Both work in Boston so commuting is big and we are not ready to be in the middle of nowhere (we would like some life in our town; bars, restaurants, commuter).
Wait, didn't you just post the thread about the house you bought in South Weymouth?

I doubt you'd like Stoughton, it's sort of rough.

Old 02-06-2015, 01:16 PM

536 posts, read 844,360 times
Hello, Econhusky and gokav13,

Stoughton was a small factory town until the 1960s, when the shoe industry went to Spain (and from Spain to Asia, eventually). Now it's a bedroom suburb of Boston with a serious heroin problem. Check out your houses on Trulia for the crimes near them. In a house I was looking at where I once took sewing lessons, about 1/4 mile from the center, Trulia listed 385 crimes in the recent year. (Most of them traffic stops, but some violent crimes, too.)

I have friends who still live there and wouldn't live anywhere else, but it would be hard for me to go back. The town is not cared for and neighborhoods that used to be semi-rural, lakeside places are going to rack and ruin, deserted or neglected. The trees died off in the 1960s and no one ever replanted. Stoughton can come back, and I hope that it will--but on two recent visits, it had slid even further into seedy decay than it had in the 1990s, when I spent a lot of time there with my dad, who was ill from Alzheimers.

gokav13, I came to Florida because of my job, and I really enjoy my job, too. It was the right choice, turning down an offer in NYC that was less congenial but would have let me stay in Manhattan. I won't retire for a while yet, but when I do, there is little reason for me to stay here. My only close friend here died a few years ago. Boca Raton is a nicely managed city, which has limited growth more than most S Florida cities. It is livable. But the climate is really too hot for most of the year for me; and as a melanoma survivor, I really shun the sun. Florida's governor is just awful. The weirdest people get elected here, which makes me feel estranged from the community as a whole.

I wish I could help with advice about Tampa and Orlando, but I don't know too much about that part of the state. What I like about SE Fl is its diversity of cultures; I will really miss that, esp. if I move to Maine.

In thinking about Mass, I am looking at small cities with rural edges, as what I miss about Mass really is the pondy, piney, ecology. I do love Boston and would like to be within easy reach, via train or T. Sharon would be a good fit for me, but it's a little out of my price range. Northampton's big drawback is that I dislike driving, and living there would place me hours away from my large and wonderful extended family, who are in Maine and on the South Shore and South Coast.

Last edited by ladyalicemore; 02-06-2015 at 01:26 PM..

Old 02-09-2015, 08:37 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,962,233 times
Quote:
I don't mean this to be very controversial. However, given the very high cost of living in Massachusetts, where else would a person find a city/town worth the cost?

Boston/metro has the exciting city life, career opportunities, public transit, etc, etc- so for many that is clearly worth it.

Where else?

Why?

Thanks!
This imo is far too vague a question to ask an untargeted population on CD.

First, how old(ish) are you; do you have a family or are you single(ish); what kind of employment/salary level do you maintain; what kind of "career(s)" are you talking about (education/healthcare/nonprofit careers yes all over; tech jobs no in many areas); and do you (want to) rent or own.

With those factors known, posters can give you a much more meaningful opinion.

Second, "cities" in Mass. are few. There are mostly big towns and little towns. These towns/suburbs are satellites around the 3 major cities dotted almost equally E–W across the state. Worcester is a clear geographical (and lifestyle/psychological) divide across the state. (Not even talking the real "Berkshires" here, which is rather remote from the substantial part of the state.) If your job/involvement ties are in Boston, you're looking at living in that arena (I don't agree that Worcester is included in "Boston Metro").

Once you go west of Worcester, you are in a different land on all levels. It's a mixed bag in affordability, opportunities, and action. Generally it's education/healthcare/services jobs. Buying into Northampton is one thing, buying into next-door neighbor Holyoke another, cost-wise. That said, all of WMass is going to have a lower COL than Boston area, but along with it lower salaries in general.

Those who make money not tied to any location would get the best housing/property tax value living in (mostly) beautiful WMass. But then again, those who make money independent of location may question living in Mass. altogether, unless there are compelling factors like family/friends.

So if you give us some specifics (my first P, above), we can be more specific in answering.

Old 02-09-2015, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
This imo is far too vague a question to ask an untargeted population on CD.

First, how old(ish) are you; do you have a family or are you single(ish); what kind of employment/salary level do you maintain; what kind of "career(s)" are you talking about (education/healthcare/nonprofit careers yes all over; tech jobs no in many areas); and do you (want to) rent or own.

With those factors known, posters can give you a much more meaningful opinion.

Second, "cities" in Mass. are few. There are mostly big towns and little towns. These towns/suburbs are satellites around the 3 major cities dotted almost equally E–W across the state. Worcester is a clear geographical (and lifestyle/psychological) divide across the state. (Not even talking the real "Berkshires" here, which is rather remote from the substantial part of the state.) If your job/involvement ties are in Boston, you're looking at living in that arena (I don't agree that Worcester is included in "Boston Metro").

Once you go west of Worcester, you are in a different land on all levels. It's a mixed bag in affordability, opportunities, and action. Generally it's education/healthcare/services jobs. Buying into Northampton is one thing, buying into next-door neighbor Holyoke another, cost-wise. That said, all of WMass is going to have a lower COL than Boston area, but along with it lower salaries in general.

Those who make money not tied to any location would get the best housing/property tax value living in (mostly) beautiful WMass. But then again, those who make money independent of location may question living in Mass. altogether, unless there are compelling factors like family/friends.

So if you give us some specifics (my first P, above), we can be more specific in answering.

I was just wondering about a variety of experiences. For us personally,

Ages: 21 & 22
Careers: Education (Urban/underprivileged) & Human Resources (Transitioning to IT)
Currently have one of us in school for edu, so low salary for now but will see a bump from our 40k to something totaling 90k in 1.5yr. As I transition to IT, that will lead to a higher combined income.
Want to own, but are more likely to rent because New England is pricey

I grew up in a big college town and it was really boring for half of the year, and then ended up staying there through college. That is, living in Connecticut. CT has a terrible government and no personality, culture, or activity. I don't want to be stuck in that life again I feel like Western Mass. has that isolation all over again. I love being right down the road from the lovely Natick Mall and Providence Place, as well as several beaches!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts