Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2015, 02:48 PM

24 posts, read 48,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scriptkitten View Post
Not at all. We are under a flight path and rarely hear planes.

Great to know. We are headed out tomorrow morning to explore the town. Thank you for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2015, 08:01 PM

226 posts, read 384,271 times
Good luck. We're sorta buried right now

Old 02-14-2015, 03:03 PM

32 posts, read 110,107 times
Thanks much, and sorry for my delayed response! Glad it was helpful.

Bedford: Lovely town. Done a lot in last decade to make center quite nice--new facades on stores, etc.; in past, at times, looked a little shabbier. Wish I knew more about the schools--I've never heard anyone rave about them they way folks do about Lexington's for example (though have also heard about them being pressure cookers), but haven't heard complaints either. Obvious advantage over Carlisle is quick access to shops (TJ Maxx, Starbucks, Whole Foods, etc.) and to 95.

Tried to look up rankings (and of course these things have to be taken with large salt grain), and this is the latest I could find: Best Schools in Boston: Our exclusive ranking of the top cities, towns

I do think Carlisle is pretty special. Was thinking back on my childhood and it really was as close to Norman Rockwell-esque as one can get: bike riding with neighborhood children, square dancing at the annual Strawberry Festival (put on by
the Unitarian church for everyone), shucking corn at the 4th of July parade. For that kind of small-town feel, it's just hard to beat. The education, as well--not even sure it can be measured; there's just a feeling in the town that there is nothing more important. I think this stems in part from the literary/intellectual history of the area (specifically of Concord), which seems to infuse the culture and continues to attract exceptional and inspired teachers. I've heard many people say--even through and after college--that their best teachers remain those from Carlisle and CCHS. Here's the obituary of just one of those teachers: Wilson Flight. There are so many others I could go on about.

One other side note: I do think it was a little challenging to go to a regional high school from elementary--we were sort of the little fish (about 40 kids in my grade went on to CCHS from Carlisle) in a bigger pond (about 200 kids in the grade total). But the bonds between those 40 are pretty incredible--some 20-plus years later, so many of us are still close. Almost like family. And it was also exciting to go off to the "big city" (ha) around 13, when you're ready for a change.

A few other things to mention: band at both Carlisle and Concord is a huge thing--seems most of kids were involved in music in some capacity, and band wins all sorts of awards, travels abroad, etc. Was nice because it wasn't like there was a strong sense that being involved in music was "nerdy" since so many kids did it. Sports are good but not overemphasized (can go too far, though--when I was there they didn't build a track because wanted to tip money more toward academics--thankfully, they've since built one). High school itself is being torn down this spring, by the way--you may know this--new one currently under construction.

But again, there are downsides to Carlisle--with the two-acre lots, can be a bit isolating, to both kids and parents, and the drives to stores can be onerous. Being on Concord line, though, would really make all the difference in this regard. If I were to move there, that is where I would live.

Old 02-14-2015, 09:16 PM

24 posts, read 48,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyinma View Post
Thanks much, and sorry for my delayed response! Glad it was helpful.

Bedford: Lovely town. Done a lot in last decade to make center quite nice--new facades on stores, etc.; in past, at times, looked a little shabbier. Wish I knew more about the schools--I've never heard anyone rave about them they way folks do about Lexington's for example (though have also heard about them being pressure cookers), but haven't heard complaints either. Obvious advantage over Carlisle is quick access to shops (TJ Maxx, Starbucks, Whole Foods, etc.) and to 95.

Tried to look up rankings (and of course these things have to be taken with large salt grain), and this is the latest I could find: Best Schools in Boston: Our exclusive ranking of the top cities, towns

I do think Carlisle is pretty special. Was thinking back on my childhood and it really was as close to Norman Rockwell-esque as one can get: bike riding with neighborhood children, square dancing at the annual Strawberry Festival (put on by
the Unitarian church for everyone), shucking corn at the 4th of July parade. For that kind of small-town feel, it's just hard to beat. The education, as well--not even sure it can be measured; there's just a feeling in the town that there is nothing more important. I think this stems in part from the literary/intellectual history of the area (specifically of Concord), which seems to infuse the culture and continues to attract exceptional and inspired teachers. I've heard many people say--even through and after college--that their best teachers remain those from Carlisle and CCHS. Here's the obituary of just one of those teachers: Wilson Flight. There are so many others I could go on about.

One other side note: I do think it was a little challenging to go to a regional high school from elementary--we were sort of the little fish (about 40 kids in my grade went on to CCHS from Carlisle) in a bigger pond (about 200 kids in the grade total). But the bonds between those 40 are pretty incredible--some 20-plus years later, so many of us are still close. Almost like family. And it was also exciting to go off to the "big city" (ha) around 13, when you're ready for a change.

A few other things to mention: band at both Carlisle and Concord is a huge thing--seems most of kids were involved in music in some capacity, and band wins all sorts of awards, travels abroad, etc. Was nice because it wasn't like there was a strong sense that being involved in music was "nerdy" since so many kids did it. Sports are good but not overemphasized (can go too far, though--when I was there they didn't build a track because wanted to tip money more toward academics--thankfully, they've since built one). High school itself is being torn down this spring, by the way--you may know this--new one currently under construction.

But again, there are downsides to Carlisle--with the two-acre lots, can be a bit isolating, to both kids and parents, and the drives to stores can be onerous. Being on Concord line, though, would really make all the difference in this regard. If I were to move there, that is where I would live.
Thank you so much for your detailed response; I have a much better 'feel' for Carlisle as a community. We actually spent the last couple.days (despite the snow) driving Carlisle/Concord/Bedford, we love all three towns. Carlisle although sleepy is just so beautiful. As you mentioned, Carlisle on the Concord line would be ideal. I don't think Concord is in our price range but Bedford maybe a fit. Hopefully something comes.on the market that meets our needs. Thank you again for your response!

Old 02-15-2015, 02:14 PM

32 posts, read 110,107 times
No worries--glad to help! I think Bedford is a great option--captures much of what's great about the other towns with easier access to conveniences. Also, my sense is that it really keeps improving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts