Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2015, 09:16 PM

4 posts, read 4,722 times

Advertisements

I moved out here a month ago and don't know the suburbs very well.
I rented a place in Bedford.
I am having some relatives visit 2/12-16 and don't quite know what to do with them given the expected weather.
I know I can take them into Boston.
But is there any way to keep them entertained and not frost-bitten in Bedford and the surrounding areas?
I'm looking for ideas.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2015, 11:05 PM

100 posts, read 219,168 times
It all depends on what they like to do, right? You could consider bringing them to the Burlington Mall or to Tony C's sports bar in Burlington (I haven't gone, but I've noticed the huge screens when going to Wegman's). By "not frost-bitten" I'm guessing that outdoors things or historical tours--if there are any at this time of year--are out of the question right?

Old 02-09-2015, 07:12 AM

2,440 posts, read 4,837,616 times
Right-- there are always malls, sports bars, and similar indoor commercial stuff. If you want non-commercial local flavor but mainly indoors you have a major museum in Salem, the Peabody-Essex, and a very pleasant and historic town to walk around in even with all the winter weather. Similarly, Lowell has its national historical park with exhibits on the early industrial economy, and you can walk around in Lowell a bit too. If they like art the Addison Gallery in Andover might be a good visit or the DeCordova museum in Lincoln followed by tea and a little walkaround in neighboring Concord. There's plenty of skiing and skating to be done if outdoor activity appeals to them.

Old 02-09-2015, 07:21 AM

1,768 posts, read 3,240,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving_east View Post
I am having some relatives visit 2/12-16 and don't quite know what to do with them given the expected weather.
But is there any way to keep them entertained and not frost-bitten in Bedford and the surrounding areas?
I'm looking for ideas.
Thanks

It will be tough. You will depend on weather, and how cold it will be.

You can take them to Natick Mall. Hit Concord or Lexington downtown. Try to walk them around Boston, with hope that by that time things will settle.

There is always cross country skiing. It is really beautiful outside. If Minute Man Natural Historic Park is opened, and trails accessible, weather not as cold...

Ultimately, visiting Boston in January and February, as you can already tell is, not something to do unless visitors do not mind bitter cold and snow.

Good luck.

Old 02-09-2015, 07:40 AM

10,018 posts, read 15,662,194 times
They know how to shovel snow? Put them to work!

Old 02-09-2015, 07:46 AM

530 posts, read 358,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
They know how to shovel snow? Put them to work!
Ha ha ha..LMAO!! Good one! I would so welcome my friends if they were up for this idea

Old 02-09-2015, 09:04 AM

1,055 posts, read 1,415,166 times
Great Brook Farm in Carlisle is a place where they have cross-country ski trails and equipment for rent. Most of the trails are easy, so it's a good place for total beginners. But you haven't said how old these visitors are (or you either!) and how much they'd be likely to enjoy physical activity.

Great Brook Farm has an indoor space with a wood stove and picnic tables, so you can have a rest and lunch. But the food service is limited to candy bars, so if you want to eat more than a snack, BYO.

Old 02-09-2015, 09:18 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,704,652 times
We lived in the area for twenty years and very consistently invited friends and family to visit "during the summer and fall - summer and fall incredible in New England". Once or twice we had winter guests. Once we shivered through a walking tour of Salem. Another time we visited the deCordova museum.

Old 02-12-2015, 08:03 PM

298 posts, read 341,585 times
Default winter guests

Quote:
Originally Posted by moving_east View Post
I'm looking for ideas.
Thanks
Give them each a snow shovel. That should keep them busy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts