Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 06:17 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgang239 View Post
Ever been to Asheville, charleston, Austin or New Orleans? Easy to stereotype the south but it's not all trailers and people harvesting crops in 90 degree heat.

Yes to Asheville, Austin and New Orleans. No to Charleston.

No thank you for living!!!!
(Asheville is nice for a visit, Austin is tolerable for a long week punk fest, New Orleans... I don't get the attraction)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2015, 06:25 PM

503 posts, read 1,204,509 times
I'll take New England any day.

Old 02-10-2015, 06:35 PM

2,601 posts, read 8,522,142 times
Heat isn't fun but I can jump into air conditioning and go up to New Mexico. Its not dangerous though and it doesn;'t prevent me from getting anywhere. VA still has lots of snow and its cold.

Today its about 67 which is normal for winter.

As for the right wing- Wofgang has it right -- not timeberline. IN Texas the GOP wins 60-40 but that 40% is still lots of people. The big problem is only 11 % vote in the Primary and the right wing wins that and again in the fall. I hate it . El Paso Austin are quite liberal and Democratic as is South Texas . THe ral problem is low turnout- Still I'm embarrassed by Rick Perry who was active in one of Gores campaigns in the 80's. I'm fiscally conservative but socially liberal however I like smart polticians..

Christmas in the NE can't be beat- Palm Trees and 70 degrees are great but its not the same.

Old 02-10-2015, 07:32 PM

15,865 posts, read 21,441,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgang239 View Post
Ever been to Asheville, charleston, Austin or New Orleans? Easy to stereotype the south but it's not all trailers and people harvesting crops in 90 degree heat.
I like all of those towns, but only Austin has a strong job market. When I moved to Boston, I had the opportunity to choose between a job here and a job in Charleston. My dollar would have gone further in Charleston and it's a lovely place, but if there were layoffs or the job didn't work, there was literally not a single other company in my industry there. Here in Boston, there are dozens, plus dozens more that are peripherally related.

In the past few years, I've known several college educated people relocate to Asheville after vacations there. Seems like they have a hopping barrista and hotel management sector, but not a ton else going on.

Old 02-10-2015, 07:46 PM

2,726 posts, read 6,113,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post
Heat isn't fun but I can jump into air conditioning and go up to New Mexico.
Wouldn't it be a 12-14 hr drive from the TX coast to the mountains of New Mexico? We could be in the Outer Banks in that time.

Old 02-10-2015, 08:03 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,470,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Of course not. ANYTHING is better than heat. Most everything is better than religious conservatives. And almost everything is better than FL whack jobs.
This is borderline the dumbest comment I ever read on here, congrats

Old 02-10-2015, 08:10 PM

12,870 posts, read 22,026,395 times
No. Way. I spent today (and yesterday) on the slopes of Sunday River. It's been a great winter for skiing. I love the snow. Shoveling sucks, but the skiing makes it worth it. I couldn't give it up.

Old 02-10-2015, 08:12 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post
Heat isn't fun but I can jump into air conditioning and go up to New Mexico. Its not dangerous though and it doesn;'t prevent me from getting anywhere. VA still has lots of snow and its cold.

Today its about 67 which is normal for winter.

As for the right wing- Wofgang has it right -- not timeberline. IN Texas the GOP wins 60-40 but that 40% is still lots of people. The big problem is only 11 % vote in the Primary and the right wing wins that and again in the fall. I hate it . El Paso Austin are quite liberal and Democratic as is South Texas . THe ral problem is low turnout- Still I'm embarrassed by Rick Perry who was active in one of Gores campaigns in the 80's. I'm fiscally conservative but socially liberal however I like smart polticians..

Christmas in the NE can't be beat- Palm Trees and 70 degrees are great but its not the same.

Did I say anything about Texas? No. Texas is south, but not the South. And the only liveable place is Austin. Places like Houston and Dallas have low QOL because they are highway focused and have poor public transits.

I've lived in the South, and noooo thank you. Not going back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
This is borderline the dumbest comment I ever read on here, congrats
Hey, I lived in Kentucky. It sucked, bad. Right wing and uneducated. Worst year of my life. Glad to get the heck out. The best restaurant in the region was an Arbys, and hooo yeah, drive through liquor stores. Good stuff. Add to that the number of dolts buying into that god nonsense. Gross.

Old 02-10-2015, 08:15 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,572,239 times
Being on the Eastern Shore of Maryland, the weather is moderate and most Storms bypass us, but its still to darn cold. I would rather dodge falling coconuts than snow flakes. Being retired a year now, and having a camper, am considering going South for the coldest 2 or 3 months here, and coming back for sunshine when it gets here.

Seems the older you get, the more you hate cold weather.

Old 02-10-2015, 08:27 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,990,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snatale1 View Post
Granted VA technically isn't "the south"
LOLWUT? It contained the capital of the Confederacy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts