Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 05:08 AM

3,636 posts, read 9,767,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipoetry View Post
Didn't I know you when you lived in Florida and whined about wanting to leave to get back to MA? Congratulations on your move back. Yes, the snow has been crazy this winter but it's a freak winter for most of the country. It's just how mother nature dealt (and felt) this winter.
Yep, that's me. Freak winter? the last 3 I have been here have been less than fun. I have to do day in day out snow removal up here when it snows because of work, and it's wearing me out physically. I've been inside since November and it's depressing. And NO I do not want to participate in any snow/winter related activities, I get enough of that with 10 hours of shoveling every 5 days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2015, 05:39 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
Let's see, last winter was the coldest on record and everyone was falling on the ice, the previous winter was the snowiest on record and people were digging out. I remember blizzards on Feb 6 and March 6 (I think) but the winter before that was "the winter that never was." I remember roses still in bloom in December and I dug up some plants that same month. Real winter never did arrive.

So that leaves us not knowing what to think. Much of the south is getting snow and cold weather right now. It bothers them but I wonder if it would bother us very much. I'm not sure what their problem is, people who don't know how to drive in snow is one, and not enough plows could be another. But their stuck-in-the-house period comes in summer, not winter. And their stuck inside period still allows them to go places in the car as long as there is a/c. But you can't BE outside doing anything in summer. It's hard to even walk from the a/c house to the a/c car.

Old 02-25-2015, 08:03 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,805,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklineBiker View Post
Hi everyone,
We are thinking of moving to NC or VA. The high COL, cold. and snow in MA are draining us emotionally and financially.
That's what everyone says during the winter if they get seasonal affective disorder. Come spring time you'll change your mind again. Happens to me every year

Old 02-25-2015, 12:31 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,238,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
That's what everyone says during the winter if they get seasonal affective disorder. Come spring time you'll change your mind again. Happens to me every year
Nailed it Parsec. By April/May, usually, all is great in MA again.

Old 02-25-2015, 07:10 PM

227 posts, read 283,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingeorge View Post
Nailed it Parsec. By April/May, usually, all is great in MA again.
Other than taxes

Old 02-25-2015, 07:19 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,405,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Let's see, last winter was the coldest on record and everyone was falling on the ice, the previous winter was the snowiest on record and people were digging out. I remember blizzards on Feb 6 and March 6 (I think) but the winter before that was "the winter that never was." I remember roses still in bloom in December and I dug up some plants that same month. Real winter never did arrive.

So that leaves us not knowing what to think. Much of the south is getting snow and cold weather right now. It bothers them but I wonder if it would bother us very much. I'm not sure what their problem is, people who don't know how to drive in snow is one, and not enough plows could be another. But their stuck-in-the-house period comes in summer, not winter. And their stuck inside period still allows them to go places in the car as long as there is a/c. But you can't BE outside doing anything in summer. It's hard to even walk from the a/c house to the a/c car.
The greater Tampa Bay area was 75 today, baby! I swam my usual laps in the sunshine.

There really is not any "stuck inside in the summer" for us, even with DW is cruddy health. Are we out working hard in the midday sun? No, but we never do that anyway. It is never too hot to swim, and never too hot to watch the sun set over the gulf.

Personal preference, but I'll never suffer a vitamin D deficiency, if you know what I mean.

Old 02-25-2015, 07:50 PM

14,011 posts, read 14,995,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
2 years ago I decided I just couldn't take the snow anymore, so moved from RI to Nevada. I love the heat, but it does get chilly here. We actually had snow in some parts of the valley last night, after a week of high 70s-low 80s. We're in for a "cold spell" of highs in the 60s, and lows in the upper 30s-low 40s. In another 3 months, though, it will be consistently over 100, with single digit humidity. No flying bugs, no getting drenched in sweat on an 85 degree day with 90% humidity. Evenings out on the patio when it's in the 90s, but feels 20 degrees cooler due to the dryness.

I decided to stop letting weather be a major factor in my decision making. No rain delays, no snow days. I can plan a bbq for any day of the year, and know the chance of rain is going to be less than 1%. We have over 320 days of full sun. I like that convenience.
Sounds great! Until the west runs out of Drinking water (that whole no rainy days thing has it's drawbacks)

Old 02-25-2015, 09:12 PM

9,070 posts, read 6,300,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Sounds great! Until the west runs out of Drinking water (that whole no rainy days thing has it's drawbacks)
Not all areas out west are prone to drought. Washington, Oregon, northern California and Idaho usually have plenty of water.

Old 02-25-2015, 09:48 PM

4,848 posts, read 11,805,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EconHusky View Post
Other than taxes
I usually file an extension along with a large check and worry about the details on October 15 after I enjoy my spring/summer

Old 02-26-2015, 06:37 PM

14,011 posts, read 14,995,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
Not all areas out west are prone to drought. Washington, Oregon, northern California and Idaho usually have plenty of water.
Nevada certainly is as well as western climates trending dryer (mostly S and E of. SF) to about 100w and eastern climates trending wetter (especially New England) also most of Oregon is very dry, but unlike Arizona and Southern NV it is sparsely populated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts