U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 01:12 PM

2 posts, read 4,028 times

Advertisements

Sorry for the editing. I wrote it in word and copied to the box. I did not know you could not do that. I mean, its been 20 years since Word Perfect 5.0: I thought everything was compatible with anything now...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2015, 01:16 PM

2,374 posts, read 1,559,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
I actually agree with many of the OP's points and felt the same exact way 3 years after moving here from Atlanta. After having kids, my mentality has completely changed though. I put up with the day to day hassle of living in the Boston area because I think it's the best state to my raise children. In order to take advantage of all that eastern MA has to offer, you need lots of money though.

I suspect the OP is still young and expects to "have it all" now, but after 10 years of living here I feel like it's getting easier and easier financially. If you find out what your mid-career salary should be and think it's enough to live here comfortably then I think you should be patient and stick it out like I did.
It's getting easier but anyone with a sub-$200k/year household income with kids needs to make sacrifices of some sort that wouldn't be necessary in most of the country. A family with a household income of approximately $100k/year needs to make deep sacrifices to live here.

Old 02-12-2015, 01:24 PM

227 posts, read 173,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
It's getting easier but anyone with a sub-$200k/year household income with kids needs to make sacrifices of some sort that wouldn't be necessary in most of the country. A family with a household income of approximately $100k/year needs to make deep sacrifices to live here.

How are you defining family? Two of us on 40k/yr while one is in (funded) grad school hasn't been luxury but we aren't homeless! That's way sub-100k.

Old 02-12-2015, 01:26 PM

2,374 posts, read 1,559,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EconHusky View Post
How are you defining family? Two of us on 40k/yr while one is in (funded) grad school hasn't been luxury but we aren't homeless! That's way sub-100k.
I mean 2 parents with children.

Also, sacrifice could mean anything from taking 1 less vacation to buying a smaller house. It doesn't mean giving up essentials.

Old 02-12-2015, 01:43 PM

416 posts, read 458,486 times
I think it's all about expectations. You can't take a job in Boston thinking you will live in a SFH with almost no commute, great public schools, etc etc etc. To do that, you easily need to make 300K+ and your home will cost you well over 2M. That's a no-brainer for anyone that lives here to share that insight with you.

That's really 50% of the help this board gives out. People come here, say they want to find a house in this area, say where they work, their priorities (top schools, big/new house, commute etc) and people try to tell them where to look and what kind of expectations to have. They are usually right on point.

So yes, you can't have it all (nice new/large house, little/no commute into the city, great job, TOP public school education, yard, infant daycare for 2) on a salary of 100k with 2 kids in daycare. Not going to happen. But where can it with a comparable downgrade in salary based on location?

Old 02-12-2015, 01:46 PM

578 posts, read 668,605 times
The traditional middle class in eastern MA is in the process of slowly being banished to slummy old mill cities and Central Mass for the reasons you list. This has been ongoing since about the late 90s. The new "middle class" here would be the top 10% most anywhere else in the country, casually talking about their recent $700k home purchase in some lame suburb that used to actually be middle class, like it's no big deal, while the rest of us making $50k a year or a bit less (traditional middle class with our salary stagnation) struggle. As a millennial with a salary just under $50k but sizeable student debt from being fed the lie that college is worth it, treading water is all I can do in MA- as a millennial who didn't study something lucrative and sexy, I just feel lucky to have a job at all and to have landed in the traditional middle class. Don't have parents in Wellesley or Cohasset to back me up and stick me in their basement. My solution to my desire to be able to live alone has been to live in the absolute sticks by MA standards. Luckily job location accommodates this.

Old 02-12-2015, 02:05 PM

2,574 posts, read 4,125,312 times
What's the point of a post like this? Really, what does it accomplish?

I'm sorry you feel like you made a mistake but then I wonder how much research you did before coming here. It's not like lousy weather, traffic and a high cost of living are new things to the Greater Boston area!

If you don't appreciate all of the things that the Greater Boston area has to offer, then you should not live here. Typically the costs are too high and you can have a better quality of living elsewhere. However, if you do enjoy the things this area has to offer, namely:
  • proximity to ocean and mountains
  • numerous recreational and cultural opportunities
  • leading educational facilities
  • world class healthcare
  • strong job market

...then you need to recognize that we pay a high price for access to these things. Only San Francisco and Seattle offer a similar critical mass of "stuff" and they are also expensive places to live with traffic issues.

Feel free to come back and visit but please don't complain while you are here.

Old 02-12-2015, 02:11 PM

894 posts, read 671,864 times
If you think Mass. drivers are bad, come on out here to Las Vegas where we've had six pedestrians hit and killed by cars since the New Year and we're only a month and a half in.

Old 02-12-2015, 02:35 PM

4,830 posts, read 8,215,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EconHusky View Post
What age did you move from Atlanta to Boston, if you don't mind me asking? I'm just trying to gauge where you were at in your career at the time because I'm starting to feel like I came here a bit too early...though I suspect the salaries are much lower down south. I've always wondered if it balanced in the end.

Eastern Mass. does have a lot of perks though. The big loser of the area is truly Connecticut. Same price.
I was around 24, but don't compare yourself to me or anyone else. We have different careers and I was already married at the time. I also had a head start compared to other people my age because I made a killing off the guy who bought my house in Atlanta right before the housing market crashed. Then I made some lucky investment choices and accumulated enough savings for a 20% down payment on a house by the time I was in my mid-20's. When I sold that house I made another 6-figures. You could say I was the perfect age (straddling Generation X and Generation Y) to ride the wave of various bubbles, but so was everyone else I graduated with. It's all about taking risks when you're young - not how much is on your W-2. When someone in their 20's buys a house in the Boston area everyone assumes mommy and daddy helped pay for it. I assume the same thing when I see people in their 30's buy a $1.5 million house. It's just human nature to do that when you see someone your age buy something that you can't afford.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
That all depends on where you live. Yes, they need to make sacrifices if they want to live in Newton. I think a family with a household income of $100k can make it in a town like Medway or Franklin, but is that really considered a deep sacrifice? Some people like small town living.

Old 02-12-2015, 03:26 PM

2,761 posts, read 1,492,457 times
Default re

I agree with some of the points the OP had made and I have lived here my whole life. I have always wondered what is so amazing about ma to raise children? I know the schools are good...but are they that terrible in other states? it's not like everyone from ma goes to an ivy league school and people from other states dont. Again I haven't done a lot of research in this area so feel free to explain. All I know is that i work wiTh extremely smart people and none of them are from MA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts