Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 12:46 PM

735 posts, read 3,500,633 times

Advertisements

Raf- that is still 35-40 miles each way depending on what part of Newton you settle in and the proximity to a Pike entrance. Have you considered the Natick/Framingham area? Although not a huge single mecca, there is alot going on around Rt 9 out there- some bars and good restaurants. That would shave off some of the 'problem area' traffic for you although not completely- it would still be 20-25 miles each way.

I still think you might want to look into some of the more active spots in Worcester or even one of those community places like Avalon- there is one in Shrewsbury right next to Worcester.

Parts of Waltham also would be good for being single and having a nightlife, but the commute isn't any better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2008, 03:07 PM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
That commute would be under an hour. A co-worker of mine lives in Worcester and commutes to that pike exit against traffic and makes it in under an hour.
However, the expense issues remain the same.
If I were in your position (and age), I'd take the financial hit to live closer to Boston/Cambridge and drive to the job. I mean, what value is there of hopping out of your job at 6p and having nothing to do and nowhere to go? (In fact, I was in this position during my brief business career. I thought of moving to suburban Nashua and saw the job and the condos nearby and figured I didn't want to watch the news with a frozen dinner every evening at six in the 'burbs.

I don't know how you plan to meet people and have a social life, but if expense isn't your main issue, consider living in Cambridge or Arlington or Newton or Watertown, taking the financial hit, and having a robust social/activity/cultural life.

Old 01-10-2008, 07:02 PM

735 posts, read 3,500,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post

I don't know how you plan to meet people and have a social life....
There is also something called the INTERNET. Not meaning to be sarcastic, but living in Cambridge just to have a social life- wasting all of your income on commuting and rent seems like a huge bust to me.

When I first moved to Boston I had one friend lingering from college years past. I joined an adult soccer league and grabbed drinks after work on fridays with colleagues. And I did meet people online. If you are a social person, then it shouldn't really matter.

Just wanted to approach this from another angle. Also RAF- keep in mind MA is nothing like NY. Bars close at 11, 12 or 1:30 at the latest- not like in NYC when you can go out at midnight and be 'social' all night And that is really only TH-Sat at best.

I assume the job you have in Worcester is important to you- otherwise you could continue your search in Boston or the metro area- then you'd eliminate the commute.

Old 01-11-2008, 12:46 AM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
Thanks for apologizing for the sarcasm. Of course the fellow could meet people on the Internet, but he'd still be going elsewhere for entertainment or to meet up with those people, who likely will not be living in suburban towns like Newton.
And any cultural/arts/live music/etc. things are best found and attended in town.
I just think that cost-effectiveness isn't the only consideration, especially when moving from the mecca of activity of NYC, and being in one's early 20s.

Old 01-11-2008, 09:17 AM

9 posts, read 27,079 times
so what kind of commute would I be dealing with from cambridge (near MIT) at those hours?

i am torn as to what to do. i have to stick with the job in worcester. the money is too good to turn down, at least for a year.

i realize that boston is not like nyc in terms of nightlife. i am prepared for that. but i would like to live in a place that will be somewhat social.

Old 01-11-2008, 09:33 AM

7,359 posts, read 10,274,860 times
Like everyone said, Newton is a residential family town. Brookline (Coolidge Corner) or Cambridge or even Arlington would be preferable. VERY direct commute from Brookline to Worcester: might be difficult finding a place with parking, though. HOWEVER: As a couple of folks have noted, any commute from Boston to Worcester, on a daily basis, will get old VERY quickly--especially in the winter--and be quite costly. My suggestion is that you find a midway point between Worcester and Boston. Framingham would probably be reasonably priced--giving you a shorter commute to work as well as relatively quick access to Boston.

Old 10-09-2008, 02:00 PM

7 posts, read 22,379 times
I am actually from Boston living in New York.
Newton is great town but as far as for a young single professional. I would say Allston/Brighton area is more desirable and more for you to do but the good thing is Newton is centrally located so you can get to the city in no time...

Old 10-31-2008, 02:46 PM

3 posts, read 5,409 times
Hello,
I'm working on a project from my Math class and I have to put together a budget for living in Newton, Massachussetts. I have tried to estimate some of the things that I need to include in my budget using the web, but I just can't get specific numbers. I have never owned a house so my idea that makes it kind of worse. Here is what I need:
Cooling bills. I am to estimate the costs based on a family home of 2.5 bathrooms and three bedrooms.
How do I figure out how much per month is the water sewer service? I read your numbers but I wasn;t sure what hcf stands for... Also, what are the Electricity and trash monthly expenses
I appreciate it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts