Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 07:43 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,806,937 times

Advertisements

Today as I stood on top of my garage to clean off the snow I realized the snowbanks on the side of the road were the same height as my feet!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2015, 09:34 AM

1,187 posts, read 2,393,886 times
6 ft of beautiful snow!

Old 02-16-2015, 10:15 AM

7,275 posts, read 5,283,162 times
SE Mass - I have somewhere in the 4'+ vicinity depending on drifts. Snow banks on streets 5'+ , and at end of driveways 6'+. All I see on my roof are snow drifts and ice dams watining to damage the roof, and yard full of snow waiting to flood my basement.

Old 02-16-2015, 01:36 PM

837 posts, read 1,225,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
All I see on my roof are snow drifts and ice dams wating to damage the roof, and yard full of snow waiting to flood my basement.
I've got a rather serious-looking ice dam on he far back side of my roof. If something happens I have no idea what to do besides file a claim with my homeowners. I don't have access to a rake and even if I did, the height easily exceeds a rake's grasp. There isn't any windows on that portion of the house. It's made some pretty icicles of doom, however

I'm paranoid about the basement flooding, too, when all this melts. I also live at the bottom of a hill. Yay.

Old 02-16-2015, 04:25 PM

7,924 posts, read 7,813,022 times
Concerned a tad on ice dams. I can't get to the roof but there are some other portions I've taken out.

I'd say four feet of snow with drifts up to five to five and a half.

Old 02-17-2015, 08:12 AM

24,484 posts, read 17,220,223 times
It is snowing again right now with a possible 3-5 inch tally. We have a fenced in area for the dogs, the fence is 3' high and there are spots that they could just step over it.
We took a trip up to Logan airport yesterday to drop off a relative and the highway was all clear and even had many dry spots. Some areas along the road looked like the frozen Arctic tundra!
On the way back we swung in to visit my Mom and she had another 14"s down. It looks like I will be heading back up soon to shovel the roof again. if she gets anymore.
It was funny to see all the little paths people have cleared to get out of their houses.

If all this snow melts quickly we are going to be in trouble with flooding.

Old 02-19-2015, 10:38 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,225,333 times
It's hard to gauge with all the drifting snow but i have almost 8 feet in my front yard where i shovel the snow from my driveway and living next to lowell MA which has the the highest snow total in the country at over 105 inches, well that says it all. We all have a boatload of snow and no where to put it anymore. My road is down to one lane and I'm sure most r in the same situation.

No problems with the roof that many are experiencing and happy about that. That may change for many if we get rain on Saturday night as it will double the weight of the existing snow and have a bad feeling about our Concord property which is flat and has at least 5' of snow on it. I could see that roof failing as it's an old property.

Thinking about shutting my work phone OFF this weekend!

Old 02-20-2015, 06:16 AM

2,310 posts, read 6,824,560 times
We are bringing in a Company to remove the snow off our roof. There is 3 ft of snow sitting on the back side of the house and major ice dams beneath that along the entire eaves. We afraid the Sunday warm up will cause water to leak inside the house. Called around and the prices went from $1000 to 3000+, that's if the companies are even available to come out.

On the ground, the snow on either side of the driveway is up to my shoulder and up to my head at the end of the driveway. The giant snowbanks at the corner of the streets are probably 7 ft high.

Last edited by mmyk72; 02-20-2015 at 06:25 AM..

Old 02-20-2015, 07:22 AM

837 posts, read 1,225,439 times
The back part of my neighbor's shallow pitched roof is sagging. I noticed it when I let the dogs out this morning. She's out of town with her kids this week. Her dad stops by every so often, but I don't know if he'd know enough to look out back :erk:

My ice dams and Icicles Of Doom are so far holding. I contacted a guy in the neighborhood removing them. He's all booked up, and he wished me luck finding somebody -- he said that every roofer he knows is also booked up. If they're charging 1K and above I wouldn't be able to afford them anyway.

Old 02-20-2015, 08:31 AM

24,484 posts, read 17,220,223 times
Yesterday I had a thought about my boat under a tarp and how all that that snow on top weighs a ton and the extra stress it is putting on the trailer so I went out to clear it off. Standing next to the boat and shoveling snow off I realised that I was about 2' taller due to standing on top of the snow.

A bit of rain forecasted Sunday so that means whatever snow is still on your roof will be getting heavier. Get that snow off your flat roofs quickly people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts