Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 05:30 PM

1,949 posts, read 4,422,171 times

Advertisements

Big Y = Large higher end nice shopping experience.
Market Basket = Filthy craphole usually in run down neighborhoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2015, 06:11 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,807,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snatale1 View Post
If you have no idea what you are talking about you should probably not comment. I'm no Artie T shill but I regularly shop at 4 different market baskets (Westford, Somerville, Chelsea, and Nashua) and none of them are in run down neighborhoods and they are never filthy. You should try going to one and then forming an opinion.

Last edited by wolfgang239; 03-02-2015 at 06:40 PM..

Old 03-02-2015, 06:19 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,661,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston_Burbs View Post
Wegmans is a combination of everything that is bad about Shaws and Whole Foods. They had a huge buffet like Whole foods but it was all crap. They had someone in the fish department filleting a farm raised salmon. It seems like a huge gimmick to get rich people to spend money on crap.

This is no joke ,you are the first and only person I have ever heard say a bad thing about Wegmans and while I will admit I have not been to the same one you have I have been to quiet a few of them and I will at best say you caught the store at a bad day.Wegmans is what everyone wants to be and they got that formula from a grocery store in the MD,DC and VA area known as Giant Food of Maryland .It was once on the verge of being the best grocery store in the country ,until Royal Ahold got ahold of them and has been running them into the ground ever since .

Old 03-02-2015, 09:54 PM

6,572 posts, read 6,738,168 times
If I can save a buck I'll shop in a tent.....could care less about the "experience".

Old 03-02-2015, 10:10 PM

19 posts, read 30,673 times
Quote:
The new MB in Waltham off of 128 is quite nice.

Old 03-03-2015, 04:22 AM

837 posts, read 1,225,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
Reminds me why does star market still exist? I know shaw's owns them but frankly why not just convert?
By law they can't convert because otherwise 1) it'd create a monopoly, and 2) Stop & Shop's owners would jump in there so fast it'd make everyone's head spin, especially in areas where they and Shaw's already overlap.

The Star Markets which have have been transitioned to the Shaws name are in areas where Stop and Shop isn't a direct competitor. For example, the Star Market in Marshfield easily became a Shaw's because the nearest Stop and Shop is X miles down Rte 139 in Pembroke. If it was closer it would've remained Star.

Old 03-03-2015, 06:05 AM

64 posts, read 78,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCMA View Post
Big Y has extremely high everyday prices, and only things on sale are decently priced. I kind of hate them. MB has much lower everyday prices than Big Y for the same products. Big Y may have some higher quality products than MB, but you sure will pay for it. Personally I rarely shopped at Big Y when I lived near one in Western Mass- I'd shop at Trader Joe's and Stop and Shop instead. That's actually one negative thing about Western Mass, Big Y and Stop & Shop are the only two grocery chains, and their prices are extremely high compared to Hannaford's and Market Basket - some things are a dollar or more higher at Big Y / S&S for certain products. Because of this, Western Mass has very high grocery prices compared to Central and Eastern MA, where there is more competition between chains.

It appears Big Y is expanding out of Western MA, into CT, Central Mass, and they even have stores in Walpole MA and Franklin MA now. (Check out their store locator map, BigY ) Stay away! I don't think their locations overlap with MB at all, probably because then people would catch on to how much of a ripoff they are.
When I lived in Western Mass there was also Price Chopper - is that still around?

Old 03-03-2015, 08:34 AM

1,025 posts, read 1,529,388 times
Quote:
The old Market Baskets resembled this a little more, but you obviously haven't been in any new ones. Even many of the ones in rundown neighborhoods (I still call the Water St Fitchburg one "ghetto basket" out of habit) have been renovated and are REALLY nice now. Do you enjoy paying 50-100% more for the same product? If so have fun at your sterile, faux-yuppie Big Y.

Old 03-03-2015, 08:35 AM

1,025 posts, read 1,529,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by opus123 View Post
When I lived in Western Mass there was also Price Chopper - is that still around?
Price Chopper seems to only be in the Berkshires and Central Mass, none in Pioneer Valley that I know of, except in Brattleboro VT right over the line.

Old 03-03-2015, 05:52 PM

1,348 posts, read 3,098,971 times
Western Mass has , Big Y , Stop and Shop , Price Rite , Guisslers(sp) , Big E's , Super Wal Marts ,Aldi's , Trader Joes and Whole Foods. Would love a MB or Wegmans but that will never happen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts