Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 10:25 AM

8,543 posts, read 14,022,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
That's pretty funny. It definitely sounds like both parties could have behaved better in this process.

Quote:
Thanks for the explanation. Even if you have a 10k sf lot in a SR10 zone, it might not even be worth building a 3600sf new construction home on it. I just looked up SFH for sale in Wellesley and found that only 10 out of 46 SFH for sale in Wellesley are under 3600 sf. I didn't realize most homes are so large there. It's also possible the sample of homes for sale at the moment is not representative of the total population of homes in town because super large homes tend to sit on the market through the winter.
A lot of the houses on the market right now are properties that are over priced. So, it's hard to say that the listings on the market right now are a representative cross section of the housing stock in Wellesley.

This being said . . . if a developer is building a house on spec the numbers do have to add up right. Fortunately or unfortunately (depending on which side of the argument your on) the numbers seem to add up best to maximize profit when you build the biggest house possible on the lot. Building a house that's smaller than the maximum allowed is fine for someone building a house for their family but it just doesn't make sense for someone looking to make a profit. Most new houses are around 4K sq ft on the first two floors and most of them either have a finished 3rd floor or basement. Most real estate agents will list the house with the total square footage which means most of the new houses are listed as having at least 5k sq ft.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2015, 10:25 AM

229 posts, read 384,709 times
Quote:
I just looked up SFH for sale in Wellesley and found that only 10 out of 46 SFH for sale in Wellesley are under 3600 sf. I didn't realize most homes are so large there. It's also possible the sample of homes for sale at the moment is not representative of the total population of homes in town because super large homes tend to sit on the market through the winter.
I looked at the 'pending' SFH and counted 23 out of 47. Combined with your figures, that's still just 1/3: 33 out of 93 houses. Are houses just big in general in Wellesley?

Old 02-26-2015, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3cents View Post
I looked at the 'pending' SFH and counted 23 out of 47. Combined with your figures, that's still just 1/3: 33 out of 93 houses. Are houses just big in general in Wellesley?
In the last 12 months, 318 single family homes have sold in Wellesley through MLS. The average living area of the houses is about 3,500 sq ft. Keep in mind that's the average of all sold houses. 43 of those homes were new construction and the average living area for those houses was about 5,400 sq ft.

Conversely, here in Needham we had 48 new construction homes sell in the same timeframe through MLS. The average living area of those houses was 4,700 sq ft. As the building code here is more liberal and allows building on more lots that are smaller in size, there are more new houses that are slightly smaller in size because the lots themselves are smaller.

Old 02-27-2015, 04:23 PM

643 posts, read 1,037,811 times
Quote:
Why would anyone drive to Alewife from the suburbs on the weekend? $7 to park at Alewife and $5 round trip into the city, or just drive into the city and park for $10-12? Driving is the same price and it's quicker. On weekdays I prefer public transportation, but not on the weekend.
Just a different perspective. Because I commute into the city on transit, I have a T pass, so that helps with the cost. I prefer to never drive in the city. If I was going to an event, I prefer to avoid the after-event traffic. I may plan to eat breakfast in Cambridge, walk around downtown, get a snack in the North End, and maybe head to Back Bay for dinner. I just prefer to not have to worry about where the car is in the city.

Also, no one can drive in the city so I'll take my chances in the parking garage.

Old 02-28-2015, 12:02 AM

30 posts, read 62,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
Fortunately or unfortunately (depending on which side of the argument your on) the numbers seem to add up best to maximize profit when you build the biggest house possible on the lot. Building a house that's smaller than the maximum allowed is fine for someone building a house for their family but it just doesn't make sense for someone looking to make a profit. Most new houses are around 4K sq ft on the first two floors and most of them either have a finished 3rd floor or basement. Most real estate agents will list the house with the total square footage which means most of the new houses are listed as having at least 5k sq ft.
This is a good argument for the applicable towns that care at all about overbuilding or their housing stock to update their zoning laws.

This thread is also a good example of people that will happily buy smaller homes in these towns expensive towns, and the teardowns for profit aren't really necessary most of the time. The homes will generally sell.

Old 02-28-2015, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stret View Post
This is a good argument for the applicable towns that care at all about overbuilding or their housing stock to update their zoning laws.

This thread is also a good example of people that will happily buy smaller homes in these towns expensive towns, and the teardowns for profit aren't really necessary most of the time. The homes will generally sell.
The smaller homes would definitely sell. That's not a question. The question is - who is going to build them because there's not enough money in it.

Old 03-01-2015, 01:33 PM

18,722 posts, read 33,385,615 times
I think the previous post to Mike's was referring to pre-existing smaller houses that are bring torn down- that they are perfectly livable houses, but are being torn down for more profitable bigger new houses.

Old 03-01-2015, 03:05 PM

404 posts, read 526,525 times
I was in your almost exact situation: owned tiny condo in North end, got engaged, decided to sell & move to suburbs. Not a day passes by that I don't regret that decision. Buy a 2 bed condo in city, stay 5-10 yrs till you have kid (s), then rent out condo & move to burbs.

Old 03-01-2015, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I think the previous post to Mike's was referring to pre-existing smaller houses that are bring torn down- that they are perfectly livable houses, but are being torn down for more profitable bigger new houses.
Parsec was talking about building smaller houses, but reading Stret's post again I could see how they might have been talking about the pre-existing, smaller home.

Old 03-01-2015, 06:59 PM

30 posts, read 62,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
The smaller preexisting homes in towns like Wellesley don't normally need to be torn down. The OP of this thread shows that there are people willing buy small homes that need work in expensive towns. The teardowns are not really a necessity, there are buyers for the homes as they are since the towns are desirable enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts