Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2015, 09:12 PM

295 posts, read 316,984 times

Advertisements

Hi all. With (hopefully) the last of the major snow storms behind us, I've been thinking alot about what will need to be done/checked in terms of my home in the spring.

what ive been thinking of( and this list is by no means complete) are:

-check mailbox and make sure its not damaged by snow banks or plows
-check roof for any issues
-check landscaping for any bushes damaged
-check walkways to make sure ice hasnt warped or damaged
-check septic? maybe not based on a previous thread i created

-perhaps bring car tp mechanic to see if there was any damage done due to the potholes

is there anything else that you can think of?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2015, 03:51 AM

226 posts, read 386,409 times
Understand your town's sandbag/flooding mitigation procedures?

Old 02-24-2015, 08:21 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,805,876 times
Here's my list:

Driveway: reseal

Front walkway and steps: regrout and seal because it will be a lot more expensive to redo them from scratch in the future. Even if the driveway/walkway look good now you should still get them all resealed after the past 2 winters we've had here.

Car: Bring it to a carwash and get the "deluxe" wash which includes undercarriage and wheel wash (2 areas prone to corrosion). After I drive it home, I'll wash it again by hand, polish and wax.

Snowblower: Change the oil, filter and spark plug. Examine shave plate, skid shoes, etc. and lubricate all metal parts.

Septic: Needs a pump out.

Lawn: Spring cleanup - this winter started late so many leaves were still on the trees after my last fall mowing. Strong winds also brought down many branches over the winter. Overseed areas from plow damage and apply crabgrass pre-emergent. Set up hoses, sprinklers and timers.

Hose down and set up patio furniture and grill.

Old 02-24-2015, 10:22 AM

24,456 posts, read 17,203,514 times
Yard cleanup mostly and give the vehicles a good washing to get the lingering salt off.

As soon as the snow melts and the then flooded woods dry up a bit I will be out cutting firewood for next year. We have burned through a lot this season.

Old 02-24-2015, 11:04 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
As a woman--get the heavy comforters off the beds, air them out and/or wash them.
Wash or dry clean all winter clothing and put away until next winter, woolens in cedar chest
Decide what winter clothes to keep and which to discard or donate
Start seeds on the enclosed porch, get soil prepared outside for early crops like beets and peas
Wash the windows if I didn't do it last fall (and I didn't) so the spring sunshine can come in
Take in mats for scraping muddy and snowy feet, wash or at least shake out, then put away.
Inspect boots, if they have survived, put them away for next year
Re paint the steps and sweep away grit, salt, and sand, give the porch a good cleaning and sweeping
Probably should wash most of the curtains and put them back up or put up some light, summery curtains
Dig out glasses for ice cold drinks, ice tea spoons, ice cream maker and put away (for the most part) slow cooker and other cold weather cooking items
Drag deck furniture up from cellar
Gradually uncover the mulch and leaves from on top of plantings
Find summer clothes and sunscreen, sun hats
dh can deal with the car--how well it has survived this horrible winter
Lots more--but the part that sounds best is the deck furniture and setting it up. It's hard to imagine doing that when the temperature is what? 4F?

Old 02-24-2015, 12:17 PM

4,848 posts, read 11,805,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
As a woman--get the heavy comforters off the beds, air them out and/or wash them.
Wash or dry clean all winter clothing and put away until next winter, woolens in cedar chest
Decide what winter clothes to keep and which to discard or donate
Start seeds on the enclosed porch, get soil prepared outside for early crops like beets and peas
Wash the windows if I didn't do it last fall (and I didn't) so the spring sunshine can come in
Take in mats for scraping muddy and snowy feet, wash or at least shake out, then put away.
Inspect boots, if they have survived, put them away for next year
Re paint the steps and sweep away grit, salt, and sand, give the porch a good cleaning and sweeping
Probably should wash most of the curtains and put them back up or put up some light, summery curtains
Dig out glasses for ice cold drinks, ice tea spoons, ice cream maker and put away (for the most part) slow cooker and other cold weather cooking items
Drag deck furniture up from cellar
Gradually uncover the mulch and leaves from on top of plantings
Find summer clothes and sunscreen, sun hats
dh can deal with the car--how well it has survived this horrible winter
Lots more--but the part that sounds best is the deck furniture and setting it up. It's hard to imagine doing that when the temperature is what? 4F?
LOL, thanks for helping me visualize how much work needs to get done inside the house. I always wondered what my wife did when I am outside. All this time I thought she was just playing with apps on her phone Just kidding of course (for the most part).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts