U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2015, 02:41 PM

2,205 posts, read 5,953,134 times

Advertisements

How Natick Went From Middle Class to Upscale - Communities - Boston.com

What do you guys think... just some reporter blowing hot air or is there a hair of truth?

Yes, prices in Natick has gone up. It's no longer 'easily' affordable if someone wants to buy a decent size and condition single family or townhouse.

I think Natick has a lot of desirable features:
* much less expensive than the W towns in the near vicinity
* good commuting options (commuter rail, close to major routes by car and takes 1 hr to get into Boston in rush hour , etc.)
* good schools
* safe neighborhoods and many areas unaffected by the mall traffic
* convenient to the necessities (shopping, restaurants, grocery stores, etc. etc.)
* healthy business tax base

However, I never think Natick will be Needham because by the time it catches up to Needham, Needham will be even more expensive.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2015, 03:28 PM

4,845 posts, read 10,395,394 times
I agree with everything you said, but amenities don't make a town upscale. The mindset of its residents is what makes a town upscale. I hope Natick continues to draw a mix of blue collar and white collar families because socio-economic diversity is what makes the town attractive to the regular Joe. Joe Plumber doesn't want to live in Wellesley even if he could afford it. Also, the average size of a home in Natick is much smaller than in Wellesley and Needham, so prices will never reach the level of those 2 towns.

I wonder if Mike can chime in with the # of teardowns in Natick compared to Wayland and Wellesley. I saw 3 teardowns within a 1 minute walk of my old house in Natick last time I passed by. That's usually a good indicator of a town becoming more upscale.

Old 03-04-2015, 04:21 PM

2,205 posts, read 5,953,134 times
Parsec - agree with you completely. I actually see a lot of teardown/rebuilds in Natick in the recent 2 yrs, but not as many as Wellesley or Needham. The new constructions usually stand out among it's more down-to-earth neighboring houses because there aren't so many of them that they become the norm (5+ on the same block or the entire street of them), like what's happening in Needham or Wellesley next door.

Old 03-04-2015, 04:57 PM

23,129 posts, read 22,192,826 times
I wish Natick would stay more or less the way it is. Funny, but I have a cousin in Wellesley and a cousin from the other side of my family in Natick.

While Wellesley may be upscale and desirable to many people, I find the people in Natick to be friendlier and more down to earth. My cousin in Wellesley complains about the number of teardowns and replacement with gigantic houses that look out of place. I haven't seen much of that in Natick but I guess it's bound to happen, sadly so.

People seem to want monster houses, bigger than anyone really needs, and so they take a perfectly good-and well built house--tear it down and put up a cheaply built monster house. In Natick I've seen a lot of ranches made into two story houses. That isn't so bad and I can understand that with a growing family they might want more bedrooms. Building a second story also doesn't take up any more land, it's the same footprint. The small ranches are ideal for retired people so I hope some remain for future retirees.

Natick's downtown has improved a lot and the town has a good mixture of people, like a normal town. It will be sad if it changes into another yuppie, unaffordable town.

Old 03-04-2015, 07:05 PM

8,398 posts, read 12,713,339 times
At one time, Framingham used to be considered nicer than Natick. Hard to believe, I know.

Old 03-04-2015, 08:27 PM

7,192 posts, read 10,986,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
I wonder if Mike can chime in with the # of teardowns in Natick compared to Wayland and Wellesley. I saw 3 teardowns within a 1 minute walk of my old house in Natick last time I passed by. That's usually a good indicator of a town becoming more upscale.
It's hard to pick out the teardowns in Natick because not all the new construction falls into that category. However, in the last year there have been 27 new construction sales. In Needham, there were 49 new construction sales in the same period. In Wellesley, the number was 42. Wayland doesn't have a ton of new construction sales (11). However, Lexington had 76!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
At one time, Framingham used to be considered nicer than Natick. Hard to believe, I know.
I remember those days. Having grown up in Framingham, I find it sad the direction the town has taken. Towns like Natick or Needham have made a concerted effort to offer more to their residents. Framingham . . . hasn't managed to do the same.

Old 03-04-2015, 08:32 PM

906 posts, read 1,151,666 times
Last time I went to Natick, there were $12 sandwiches everywhere. But there was also a gun shop downtown so it's not too far gone yet!

Old 03-04-2015, 09:01 PM

6,265 posts, read 8,127,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCMA View Post
Last time I went to Natick, there were $12 sandwiches everywhere. But there was also a gun shop downtown so it's not too far gone yet!
It's raining sandwiches, hallelujah.

Old 03-05-2015, 05:47 PM

649 posts, read 619,275 times
I think that the rt.9 shopaganza and rt.9 in general has served to delay the "upscaleification" of Natick. Natick town center has one of the nicest built environments of any greater Boston 'urbs. If there wasn't a divided limited access highway running through it two blocks away Natick would have been able to retain its charm and allure as Wellesley has, albeit differently. As it is, it has kind of had a trajectory of interest more like former mill town's experience, where after a heyday it gets ignored until "rediscovered."

Can anyone tell me why Natick has such a city-like town center, so unlike anything around it other than Cambridge and Boston.

Old 03-05-2015, 05:51 PM

8,398 posts, read 12,713,339 times
What is "city-like" about it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts