Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would You Move Out of Massachusetts If You Could?
Yes 49 62.82%
No 29 37.18%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 09:44 PM

686 posts, read 1,137,538 times

Advertisements

I'll bet this poll would get completely different results if you posted it in October instead of March ;-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2015, 09:56 PM

62 posts, read 69,674 times
That's true sfosyd. The thing that makes me feel like the grass is greener on the other side is that I know a lot of people I went to high school or college with have moved out of the area. I hear every now and then someone say that they would consider moving back, but no one is in any rush.

Old 03-04-2015, 10:15 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,309,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Yes, but with mixed feelings. I've lived here all my life except for a few years in CT and I've very attached to this state. But the COL is outrageous and the winters don't have much to offer now that I'm retired. Winter didn't matter so much when I was working but now I have free time and I'd like to be able to get out and do something.

Most of my relatives live elsewhere now. Some moved away due to the COL. If I moved I'd really miss it here, just sorry that it's become so expensive.
Whats the cost of living in your area like? Compared to Connecticut. The Hartford area is somewhat expensive but not nearly as expensive as Southwestern Connecticut especially near NYC.

Old 03-05-2015, 06:41 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
For where?

If I could move to Wisconsin or perhaps Vermont and have the same salary and position? Yeah, maybe.

Anywhere else? I don't know.

Old 03-05-2015, 06:48 AM

3,176 posts, read 3,693,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfosyd View Post
I'll bet this poll would get completely different results if you posted it in October instead of March ;-)
I disagree. There are a lot of contributing factors that have nothing to do with the weather that could prompt someone to consider leaving MA.

Old 03-05-2015, 07:02 AM

3 posts, read 2,393 times
There are areas otside of Boston,but close enough, where living is not as expensive.At least not when it comes to rent.
I'd say, if you're thinking about your kids, the education system in MA is one of the best in the US.It is something to consider.

Old 03-05-2015, 07:09 AM

227 posts, read 283,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
I disagree. There are a lot of contributing factors that have nothing to do with the weather that could prompt someone to consider leaving MA.
Yeah but it's put some people in a rotten mood.

Old 03-05-2015, 08:53 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,135,852 times
Nope. I have considered moves in the past - Boulder, Pacific Northwest, Parisian suburbs, etc.

But the reality is, any place I would want to move to has equal or higher COL and less employment opportunity for my profession. Most of my recruiter calls come out of LA and NYC ... I'd rather saw my arm off then live in either one.

Old 03-05-2015, 10:07 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,648,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Yes, but with mixed feelings. I've lived here all my life except for a few years in CT and I've very attached to this state. But the COL is outrageous and the winters don't have much to offer now that I'm retired. Winter didn't matter so much when I was working but now I have free time and I'd like to be able to get out and do something.

Most of my relatives live elsewhere now. Some moved away due to the COL. If I moved I'd really miss it here, just sorry that it's become so expensive.

I'm trying to move to MA. I'm getting ready to retire and want to move to the Berkshires which is where I spent most of my summers when I was young ,I went to school in Franklin so I do know the state .I stay in the Berkshires every chance I get and so this is not just a whim ,I've look into So. Vermont all so and while I could do it and love it my wife just will not .Two of my three girls are married to military men who are based in NC the third is in CA , the Mrs says to look are NC mostly western NC Ashville ,Boone .The cold I could put up with and the snow ,being retired since I didn't have to go to work it would be fine .I miss NE .

Old 03-05-2015, 10:29 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,908,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
For where?

If I could move to Wisconsin or perhaps Vermont and have the same salary and position? Yeah, maybe.

Anywhere else? I don't know.
I'd throw in Minnesota, too, BTW--a nice state, with a prosperous economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts