Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 12:27 PM

10,007 posts, read 15,647,185 times

Advertisements

Don't know why he hasn't received a bill for the new car (I bought a new car last July and I just got a bill yesterday).

As far as his old plates, he should have gotten a receipt when he turned those plates into the DMV. Or if he hasn't turned them in yet, he needs to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2015, 12:30 PM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allharv View Post
A skeptic would say that incentivizes people to buy newer cars. I think the floor of the tax should be even lower or exempt at some point.
Buying a newer car for $20K and getting a $1K excise tax bill to avoid paying a $70 excise tax bill on an older car doesn't really seem like a whole lot of incentive to me.

Old 03-13-2015, 12:44 PM

120 posts, read 251,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
Don't know why he hasn't received a bill for the new car (I bought a new car last July and I just got a bill yesterday).

As far as his old plates, he should have gotten a receipt when he turned those plates into the DMV. Or if he hasn't turned them in yet, he needs to.

The dealership turned in his old plates and gave him a return receipt dated Jan 13th. I'm not sure why the excise bill would be issued for a full year in March.

However, are you saying that you bought a new car in July and waited 8 months to get the first excise bill for it??? Wow, that's unusual, isn't it? I thought it used to be cut almost right away, so your town could get their piece of the action.

Old 03-13-2015, 02:34 PM

10,007 posts, read 15,647,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pudy68 View Post
The dealership turned in his old plates and gave him a return receipt dated Jan 13th. I'm not sure why the excise bill would be issued for a full year in March.

However, are you saying that you bought a new car in July and waited 8 months to get the first excise bill for it???
Yes.

Old 03-13-2015, 04:08 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
bostond... Are you married? Um, I mean, what color is the car?

Seriously, though, if you want to feel raped by taxes, go live in CT. When I lived in CT, our car taxes (labeled as some sort of property tax) were -- no joke -- 9 times higher than in MA. In CT, it's based on the "value" (as they determine it) of your car multiplied by the mill rate of the town you live in. We happened to live in a town with a very high mill rate, which also determines the property tax on your house (so... more raping). That's because there was not a lot of industry -- it was very suburban -- to take the brunt of the tax load.

Enjoy our car! I mean YOUR car!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts