Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2015, 02:28 PM

298 posts, read 341,490 times

Advertisements

I am bringing 2 cars into Mass, I wanted to get an idea of License & Title fees, as well as excise tax. Also, is there a state inspection? Any suggestion for auto insurance? In NJ, I used NJM, which is "NJ manufacturers" the offer policies to people in Engineering/Science and had good rates.

First car is a 2004 Mercedes C-class, car is probably only worth $5000 at this point. Second car is a vintage car (1971 Datsun 240z). I am assuming for the Datsun I can get antique auto plates and avoid annual inspections etc?

I've heard the registration fees in Mass are high?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2015, 03:43 PM

3,688 posts, read 7,426,863 times
massrmv.com will answer your registration questions.

Most car insurance in MA is sold thru a local agent. I would ask your new co-workers or neighbors for suggestions. You can also shop Geico, Progressive and Allstate on-line.

Old 03-07-2015, 03:46 PM

3,176 posts, read 3,696,023 times
I use Costco for car insurance.

Honestly in the grand scheme of things, coming from NJ a lot of things will seem less expensive, except gas.

Yes, there's a state inspection every year. It takes me 10 minutes.

Old 03-07-2015, 06:49 PM

10,013 posts, read 15,659,151 times
A normal registration for a car is $60, renewable every 2 years. Plates for Antique cars are $50.

Old 03-10-2015, 07:22 AM

1 posts, read 996 times
i have a problem, i bought a car from a seller and then he signs the title of the car over to me and so i go to register the car but i couldnt register it because the seller never registered the car in his name but had the persons who sold him the car name on the tile and now im having problems registering the car what should i do?

Old 03-10-2015, 07:25 AM

3,176 posts, read 3,696,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephekx View Post
i have a problem, i bought a car from a seller and then he signs the title of the car over to me and so i go to register the car but i couldnt register it because the seller never registered the car in his name but had the persons who sold him the car name on the tile and now im having problems registering the car what should i do?
You bought a stolen car. Go to your local police station for advice on what to do next.

Old 03-10-2015, 07:59 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,493,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomicdoug View Post
Second car is a vintage car (1971 Datsun 240z). I am assuming for the Datsun I can get antique auto plates and avoid annual inspections etc?
Not necessarily. You still need annual safety inspection at $35/yearly. Emmissions isn't tested but still required to have all the emmissions equipment if originally equipped. (or an inspector that doesn't know any better)

The rules for antique plate may not be desirable as well. Basically you are restricted to driving on the weekends or holidays or in parades or car shows. Hopping in the car and commuting to work with it isn't really the right thing to do with antique plates, but I know of a few people who do it and haven't had issues. You are still subject to full vehicle safety inspection though.

Look into collector car insurance rather than standard insurance. There are rules (must be garaged, max miles, have another daily driver to use, etc) but the rates are cheaper. I insured an older Mustang this way and the difference was $300/year for collector car insurance vs $1800/year for standard.

Old 03-10-2015, 09:40 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,810,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomicdoug View Post
Second car is a vintage car (1971 Datsun 240z). I am assuming for the Datsun I can get antique auto plates and avoid annual inspections etc?
Nice! That was my dad's last car before he had me. Although I never saw it in person I have many pictures of it back when my parents were roadtripping as DINKs.

Whether you get antique plates depends on how you plan to drive it.

Old 03-11-2015, 05:18 PM

1,203 posts, read 4,081,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Not necessarily. You still need annual safety inspection at $35/yearly. Emmissions isn't tested but still required to have all the emmissions equipment if originally equipped. (or an inspector that doesn't know any better)

The rules for antique plate may not be desirable as well. Basically you are restricted to driving on the weekends or holidays or in parades or car shows. Hopping in the car and commuting to work with it isn't really the right thing to do with antique plates, but I know of a few people who do it and haven't had issues. You are still subject to full vehicle safety inspection though.

Look into collector car insurance rather than standard insurance. There are rules (must be garaged, max miles, have another daily driver to use, etc) but the rates are cheaper. I insured an older Mustang this way and the difference was $300/year for collector car insurance vs $1800/year for standard.
2001 is the cut off year for emissions whether or not it's registered as an antique. It just can't be visibly smoking.

Old 03-12-2015, 06:31 AM

649 posts, read 816,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
You bought a stolen car. Go to your local police station for advice on what to do next.
That's not necessarily true, there can be car flips where it is legitimately signed over to X who never gets the title in his name ($$$) and then X signs it over to Y. I think you have a certain number of days you can hold it, although the sales tax is another thing entirely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts