Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 07:06 AM

36 posts, read 45,979 times

Advertisements

Hello! I'll be working in Worcester, MA and my husband will be working in Hartford, CT. We're looking to live in MA in between the two. Seems like Sturbridge is a good area. I'm used to more rural areas in western MA. Does anyone know much about Southbridge or other areas we could look into? What about the schools in the area? Apartments versus houses? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2015, 01:06 PM

2,440 posts, read 4,833,620 times
Looking at Southbridge in Google Maps I'd say it has good bones-- intact downtown, potentially walkable, but the very knowledgeable poster FCMA advises against: "Stay away from Fitchburg and Leominster to the north and Southbridge to the southwest of Worcester – isolated bigger post-industrial cities (big enough to have gang violence and narcotics, poverty problems, yet small enough to STILL feel isolated from the quality of life you'll find in Metro 'burbs or even Worcester) and the older affordable houses are full of lead paint, plus these towns may be "bigger" than what you are looking for."

Sturbridge seems to tick you boxes.

Old 03-13-2015, 02:50 PM

23,560 posts, read 18,661,418 times
^Yes Southbridge is a dump (and imho creepy), definitely go with Sturbridge out of those two. Charlton is nice too, if you want semi-rural.

Old 03-13-2015, 03:05 PM

10,006 posts, read 15,647,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
^Yes Southbridge is a dump (and imho creepy), definitely go with Sturbridge out of those two. Charlton is nice too, if you want semi-rural.
Agree. Stay away Southbridge.

Old 03-13-2015, 07:38 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,309,672 times
Look at Stafford, Connecticut. Right off Interstate 84. They have excellent schools and are fairly affordable. Roughly 40 mins each way to work. You are close to supermarkets and a nice classy traditional New England town.

Old 03-13-2015, 08:08 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,254,874 times
If you are looking for Sturbridge, but want more rural, look at neighboring Brimfield or Brookfield. It's in the same school district. You can also neighboring Charlton to the east as well if he won't mind a 40 minute commute. Dudley-Charlton have great schools, too.

Old 03-14-2015, 10:25 AM

33 posts, read 45,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhill View Post
Looking at Southbridge in Google Maps I'd say it has good bones-- intact downtown, potentially walkable, but the very knowledgeable poster FCMA advises against: "Stay away from Fitchburg and Leominster to the north and Southbridge to the southwest of Worcester – isolated bigger post-industrial cities (big enough to have gang violence and narcotics, poverty problems, yet small enough to STILL feel isolated from the quality of life you'll find in Metro 'burbs or even Worcester) and the older affordable houses are full of lead paint, plus these towns may be "bigger" than what you are looking for."

Sturbridge seems to tick you boxes.
Fitchburg and Leominster aren't in the search area of the original poster. Another point though.... As a Leominster resident I can say that FCMA is hardly the last word on the pros and cons of living there.

Old 03-14-2015, 10:40 AM

2,440 posts, read 4,833,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYPatsFan View Post
Fitchburg and Leominster aren't in the search area of the original poster. Another point though.... As a Leominster resident I can say that FCMA is hardly the last word on the pros and cons of living there.
True, and he admits his sour remarks re. Fitchburg and Leominster are at least partly due to his being young and single. Some posters here have said similar things about Greenfield, which is unfair in my experience. I do think FCMA is knowledgeable (and amusing!) and I'm glad you and others like Leominster and Fitchburg more than he does. I don't really know about southbridge but don't remember reading anything favorable about it here on CD. It does have some nice restaurants and inns. The way things are are going, a place with bones like that is going to be rediscovered and revived sooner or later.

Old 03-14-2015, 06:57 PM

It seems like what most of you are saying is what my gut was telling me based on my research.. stay away from Southbridge. Seems like Sturbridge might be a better choice for that area. I'll check out Chartlon too. Perhaps even Stafford as it's right over the border. I'm a bit worried about living in CT as I've heard it's a fairly expensive state in which to live. Anyone have thoughts on that? My husband and I are really just trying to keep our commutes about even 30-40 mins one way for each of us. Thanks for the input!

Old 03-14-2015, 07:23 PM

Anyone know much about any of the following CT towns: Stafford, Granby, Enfield, East Windsor, Windsor Locks, Somers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts