Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 10:57 AM

1,768 posts, read 3,239,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharencare View Post
If I were you, I would separate whatever you think about their economic background or race and just try to amicably resolve the issues about smoking and noise directly. Calling DSS on them over noise is traumatizing for children and ties up resources for other cases that really need their attention. I read a lot of parent forums, and young children skipping around on the top floor is a very common complaint, no matter what neighborhood or background. One thing people do to teach the children is to bring them to the second floor to hear what stomping around on the third floor sounds like. Usually children don't have a clue until you demonstrate for them, and then they feel bad about it and will likely try to tiptoe more.
Good points. Seems people are very cranky since this winter made us all cooped up and for too long. It is not easy to take kids out to play in this weather.

I would like to ad that kids move a lot naturally, and they make noise because their little bodies have hard time standing still. You can not reason with naturally active three or five year old, and make them tiptoe everywhere, just because there is no insulation between the floors. Life doesn't work like that.

Seems to me that it doesn't matter who lives above you, if there is no proper barrier, anyone would be annoying if you can hear them. But, if you live in multi-family, it is given that there will be certain amount of noise, and annoyances you have to live with. If you want peace and quiet, you have to buy your own place.

You can move out, you can put an acoustical ceiling panels, and hopefully decide to spend your energy more positively, without over-focusing on your neighbors. Being nice goes long way, way longer than threats, and anger.

Calling them abusive, and possibly ripping family apart over noise, and your strong sense of disapproval, is not well thought out, and will probably make you regret your actions in the end.

I do hope you resolve this issue in positive, and more constructive manner for all involved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2015, 11:07 AM

11,755 posts, read 7,114,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharencare View Post
If I were you, I would separate whatever you think about their economic background or race and just try to amicably resolve the issues about smoking and noise directly. Calling DSS on them over noise is traumatizing for children and ties up resources for other cases that really need their attention. I read a lot of parent forums, and young children skipping around on the top floor is a very common complaint, no matter what neighborhood or background. One thing people do to teach the children is to bring them to the second floor to hear what stomping around on the third floor sounds like. Usually children don't have a clue until you demonstrate for them, and then they feel bad about it and will likely try to tiptoe more.
I agree with this on both counts.

Mick
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts