Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 09:36 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,034,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingeorge View Post
You sound as it is all about you, and what you like or want. Do you have family? Semi-retired?

For most people your "freedom", becomes reality maybe only after kids leave home, or it is retirement time.

Families with kids and relatives in the area need to find balance of easy commute, (so you can be home and see your spouse, kids,relatives); good schools and safe environment (since you are directly responsible for your kids well being);, easy walk/drive to amenities & shopping (since free time is always scarce); plus need to be available to older parents/relatives/friends if you have bigger family around. It is complicated math, we all do.

Not having criminals and savages in my neighborhood is great, and so is easy commute to office! Makes our lives less stressful, and able to concentrate on better things.

I like that it is not all about me, me and me, all the time. It made me better man, and enriched my life. I am happy to say that my family comes first, and I will gladly reside where it makes most sense for all of us, not just my personal preference.

Cheers.

Not everyone has kids or relatives in Massachusetts, you realize.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2015, 10:47 AM

1,768 posts, read 3,237,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
Not everyone has kids or relatives in Massachusetts, you realize.
Of course, I was objecting to condescending tone that assumed that everyone is lose and free to do only as they please.

Old 03-30-2015, 11:12 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,034,181 times
I think it's more that there is no one place that is ideal/"desirable" for everyone since everyone has different lifestyles and priorities that matter to them.

Old 03-30-2015, 01:24 PM

5,788 posts, read 5,100,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingeorge View Post
You sound as it is all about you, and what you like or want. Do you have family? Semi-retired?

For most people your "freedom", becomes reality maybe only after kids leave home, or it is retirement time.

Families with kids and relatives in the area need to find balance of easy commute, (so you can be home and see your spouse, kids,relatives); good schools and safe environment (since you are directly responsible for your kids well being);, easy walk/drive to amenities & shopping (since free time is always scarce); plus need to be available to older parents/relatives/friends if you have bigger family around. It is complicated math, we all do.

Not having criminals and savages in my neighborhood is great, and so is easy commute to office! Makes our lives less stressful, and able to concentrate on better things.

I like that it is not all about me, me and me, all the time. It made me better man, and enriched my life. I am happy to say that my family comes first, and I will gladly reside where it makes most sense for all of us, not just my personal preference.

Cheers.
Well, it was your choice to have kids, and of course you and your spouse who made them (or adopted them) are now absolutely responsible for your kids' well-being. No sense in making yourself sound like a martyr; you're just a good parent, and it's expected.

For those of us who choose to not have kids, we have a different set of life choice consequences to deal with. There is nothing inherently good or bad in either, just personal life choices.

Old 03-30-2015, 03:27 PM

8,547 posts, read 14,010,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
Well, it was your choice to have kids, and of course you and your spouse who made them (or adopted them) are now absolutely responsible for your kids' well-being. No sense in making yourself sound like a martyr; you're just a good parent, and it's expected.

For those of a who choose to not have kids, we have a different set of life choice consequences to deal with. There is nothing inherently good or bad in either, just personal life choices.
I don't think George is judging anyone's lifestyle choices. He's just addressing a the "why would anyone want that??" tone of the post by pointing out that their are people out there who's desires don't match up with that person's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts