Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 08:22 AM

2 posts, read 2,117 times

Advertisements

Moving with my wife and 2 kids (5 and 3) to Everett and will be commuting to downtown Boston. We will be purchasing our first home and wanted to get some advice on buying furniture that is not from Ikea for the first time.

Did you use any room planning applications like Roomstyler - Design, style and remodel your home and get inspired by hundreds of thousands interior designs (powered by Floorplanner) or furniture inspiration sites like Houzz - Home Design, Decorating and Remodeling Ideas and Inspiration, Kitchen and Bathroom Design

What is a reasonable budget for a 3 bedroom 2 bath home for furniture?

Should we hire an interior designer?

Our household income is $180,000 and my wife is 38 while I am 41.

Any insights on what to look for when buying nicer furniture would be fantastic!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2015, 09:10 PM

7 posts, read 8,252 times
You should buy a house in a nicer town given that high income.

Old 04-02-2015, 09:22 PM

3,176 posts, read 3,697,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankzyin View Post
You should buy a house in a nicer town given that high income.
Ridiculous statement to make. Maybe OP really liked that particular house, or maybe he wanted a bigger house than he would've gotten in a "nicer town."

Old 04-03-2015, 07:13 AM

17 posts, read 53,423 times
aalba005, what a nice question! I am shortly to be in a similar situation, moving from DFW to BOS area and frankly I'm sick of the collection of furniture we've accumulated over the years and am seriously considering having a huge yard sale and buying new stuff. Also I'm not sure Texas furniture will fit in a New England home (we have big houses down here).

I hope someone answers your question seriously, as I would like to know too!

Old 04-03-2015, 01:55 PM

226 posts, read 386,648 times
$180k probably won't allow for the types of things interior designers pick out. My good friend uses one and the designers don't bargain shop

Use houzz to identify your personal style

Personally I mix vintage with west elm, cb2, bo concept, room and board....

Room and board has a boston showroom and its divine.

Old 04-03-2015, 08:15 PM

8,545 posts, read 14,025,464 times
I've always had great luck at stores like Jordan's and Boston Interiors. However, it really all depends on what your person taste is. Looking at Houzz is a great way to see what style of furniture appeals to you most.

Old 04-03-2015, 10:06 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,823,179 times
Room & Board.

Old 04-04-2015, 12:44 PM

536 posts, read 845,082 times
I would assess your needs and tastes and then look at second-hand furniture stores for your tables and other wood furniture (not including upholstered chairs, unless you can reupholster them).

Today's furniture is not as well made or solid as yesterday's, so you can get a better product for far less money and then refinish or refurbish if need be.

It's what I did in furnishing my house in S FL and it turned out all right.

In S FL, however, there are lots of consignment shops. Unless Mass has changed a lot since I left, there probably aren't too many consignment shops in MA. They are great sources for gently used furniture.

Old 04-04-2015, 02:14 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,240,871 times
Internet. Overstock.com. Wayfair.com there are probably more that I am not familiar with.

Young kids and shopping are not always easy or fun. Maybe Ikea for kids stuff (they will outgrow it fast anyway).
Kids can play in the store while you shop. You can eat there too, and avoid meltdowns.
Good luck.

Old 04-04-2015, 05:19 PM

466 posts, read 643,944 times
Jordan's Furniture, as a starting point. Don't even consider any other store for mattresses.
Circle Furniture if your taste is more high-end, but it will cost more.

No need for an interior designer - I don't thing your income warrants it. The town certainly does not.

If you haven't yet bought the house, look in other towns besides Everett. With your income you could afford Reading, Melrose, Wakefield. All nicer towns with better school systems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts