Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2015, 01:34 PM

730 posts, read 1,314,220 times

Advertisements

We (retired) are considering a move to any of the Yarmouths located on Cape Cod. I'm looking for good inside information about the town: the good, the bad, the ugly. Is the town generally well managed, fiscally responsible, how many financial issues with Dennis considering they share the financial issues with Yarmouth. Is one part of Yarmouth preferable over another part, things like that would be most interesting. We've lived on the Cape, have moved away, but are considering, in a year or so, a move back. We'd want a small one story ranch (don't need or want a lot of house), probably 1100-1400 sq. ft. with a manageable yard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2015, 03:54 PM

140 posts, read 288,198 times
I would not live in Yarmouth or Hyannis. Both areas are struggling with increasing crime rates. Go on Cape Cod Today and watch the areas. If you are set on Yarmouth, stay on the 6A side.

Old 06-15-2015, 08:27 PM

404 posts, read 526,525 times
^^exceptions : Bass river in yarmouth or Hyannis harbor area. Both nice

Old 06-16-2015, 04:48 AM

816 posts, read 994,603 times
Can't comment much about the town politics (maybe a life long local can chime in?), but I would consider Yarmouth-Hyannis to be the "grittier" towns on the Cape. If it were me, I would look further down Cape, like Brewster or Harwich. Or even some parts of Falmouth if you want to be closer to the bridges and/or Boston. North Falmouth and Woods Hole are the nicer parts.

Old 06-16-2015, 05:43 AM

1,708 posts, read 2,911,481 times
Because you are retired, schools are of no concern. Because the schools are lacking, I am sure you will enjoy the low property taxes in Yarmouth and Dennis.

Nothing gives you more bang for your buck on the Cape, if walking distance to the beach is a priority, than South of Rt.28 and between the Parker and Bass River. It is almost 100% seasonal and retirees BUT I would assume that would not bother you. Almost all of the housing stock is knotty pine ranches and small capes.

The one financial issue in Yarmouth, and on the cape as a whole is the lack of sewer and the issues that is imposing on the water quality. Yarmouth may eventually have to be sewered which will not be friendly to the town finances but necessary as more "emerging contaminates" (mainly from pharmaceuticals that are not processed through the body) are being detected in drinking water.

Cape Cod Commission | Wastewater
FAQs: Emerging contaminants in Cape Cod drinking water | Silent Spring Institute

Old 06-17-2015, 08:34 AM

730 posts, read 1,314,220 times
Thank you to all who responded, was kind of surprised as I posted 4/3.

It also appears that we should avoid East Falmouth (???), but we're on a limited budget which was why we were looking at Yarmouth. Another town that has some appeal is Sandwich although their taxes are really high.

Old 06-17-2015, 09:37 AM

816 posts, read 994,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMarcan920 View Post
It also appears that we should avoid East Falmouth (???).
East Falmouth tends to be the sketchier part, more druggies, townies, and bored teenagers getting into mischief, etc but I still wouldn't necessarily feel unsafe there. Just not as desirable and further away from the center of town and the popular beaches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts