Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2015, 05:48 PM

3,176 posts, read 3,696,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xo_kizzy_xo View Post
I wouldn't do that commute if you offered me $1,000,000.

Battling 128 every day? NO THANK YOU.
It might be tolerable for someone who worked graveyard shift. Still an hour each way under the best of circumstances at 2 am.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2015, 07:12 PM

257 posts, read 257,597 times
I'm a big proponent of Hingham but I'd move if I had to commute from here to Waltham everyday. I think that commute would wear you down fast

Old 10-20-2015, 07:04 AM

837 posts, read 1,225,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
It might be tolerable for someone who worked graveyard shift. Still an hour each way under the best of circumstances at 2 am.
A number of years ago I worked in both Newton and Wellesley, both on a semi-graveyard shift, coming from not-quite-Hingham but in that direction. I always ran into some kind of traffic, whether it was construction or an accident or what-have-you. I'd wager it was roughly 1 hour one way, give or take a few minutes.

I have a friend who lives in Weymouth and worked in Waltham for a time. Took him on average 2 hours to get through 128 to 3 during rush hour. He jumped when there was a job opening closer to him.

Old 10-20-2015, 06:00 PM

28 posts, read 24,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post

I lived in Norwell and worked in Waltham until this week and it took me 45 minutes or less at 5:30am to get to Waltham.

Now afternoons were a different story. But it does not always take an hour, it was rare for my morning commute to be over 50 minutes. That said, I'm already loving my much shorter commute.

Old 10-21-2015, 06:14 AM

837 posts, read 1,225,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcav View Post
I lived in Norwell and worked in Waltham until this week and it took me 45 minutes or less at 5:30am to get to Waltham.

Now afternoons were a different story. But it does not always take an hour, it was rare for my morning commute to be over 50 minutes. That said, I'm already loving my much shorter commute.
This was the experience of another coworker who lives down near Pembroke and worked in Waltham for almost a year. She was very lucky she had a similar schedule. Had she had a later schedule she would've turned down the position, no question.

LOL I was just thinking...we, as New Englanders, don't like driving/commuting very much. My husband lived in the Midwest for a time before we met and says that moving out there was a shock because you HAVE to drive EVERYWHERE (IIRC his commute to his employer's home office was minimum an hour).

To me, a road trip = anything longer than 2 hours in a vehicle. Going out to western MA? Road trip. NH/ME/VT? Road trip. For some reaon I don't consider driving to Providence a road trip, though.

Old 11-02-2015, 11:56 AM

3 posts, read 4,101 times
A new job is definitely a possibility, but he would probably have this commute for at least a year. His plan is to leave by 6:00 or 6:30 to avoid traffic in the morning. The afternoons are what we are most concerned about.

Am I hearing that Cambridge is also a nightmare for people commuting from Hingham? Any job he gets next is likely to be in either Cambridge or Boston.

Old 11-02-2015, 12:06 PM

3,268 posts, read 3,322,594 times
I've noticed a ton of traffic headed to hingham from Boston and going into Boston. It's mainly where the lanes go down to 2 i believe and near where Derby st is. It's frustrating because this is very recent so I guess it speaks to how populated this area is getting. A lot of people take the boat and that doesnt seem great either. Hingham is a beautiful town, but not an easy commute to boston or cambridge .

Old 11-03-2015, 11:56 PM

16 posts, read 17,091 times
That commute is just crazy.

Old 11-04-2015, 08:10 AM

8,545 posts, read 14,025,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frazil View Post
Though one nice thing about the ferry (in contrast to the train and T) is you can take a bike, and in nice weather it is a relatively easy bike ride from Rowes Wharf or Long Wharf to Kendall Sq (it's < 3 miles), and much quicker!
I would also add that there's a bar on the ferry. If I lived in Hingham and commuted to Boston I would definitely want to ride the ferry. I'm sure it's a great way to commute especially during the summer. I have a friend who lives in Hull during the summer and he loves taking the ferry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mep31 View Post
A new job is definitely a possibility, but he would probably have this commute for at least a year. His plan is to leave by 6:00 or 6:30 to avoid traffic in the morning. The afternoons are what we are most concerned about.

Am I hearing that Cambridge is also a nightmare for people commuting from Hingham? Any job he gets next is likely to be in either Cambridge or Boston.
Hingham to Cambridge can be pretty bad too. As noted in previous comments, often the problem is all the switching you have to do (i.e. car to commuter to red line, etc.). Every time you have to wait for a train to show up or walk to another station that can add up.

Old 11-05-2015, 06:16 AM

3,268 posts, read 3,322,594 times
Two people I work with do Cohassett to Cambridge. Not sure how they can tolerate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts