Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 11:48 AM

728 posts, read 974,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
The boroughs outside Manhattan are very blue collar in spots and no one thinks much of it. In Boston people are much more negative about it. The NYC suburbs on the other hand tend to be a very different story and being blue collar is associated with being poor (even though a plumber there makes more than most of their customers lol).

For what it's worth I grew up on Staten Island and everyone from the garbage man to my doctor had "the accent."
Staten Island is very similar to Roslindale, Westie, and Hyde Park, IMO. Down to the very underrated Italian-American presence in the neighborhoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2015, 11:49 AM

231 posts, read 402,024 times
When I was in Florida people told me I sounded like Tony Soprano lol, I don't really have an accent though. I'm originally from Bensonhurst/Dyker Heights we moved when it was time for junior high.

So what you're saying is since Boston is smaller, the whole city is like Manhattan (rich or poor) and the suburbs around have more blue collar/normal people

Old 04-13-2015, 12:02 PM

3,176 posts, read 3,696,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StatenIslandJake1995 View Post
When I was in Florida people told me I sounded like Tony Soprano lol, I don't really have an accent though. I'm originally from Bensonhurst/Dyker Heights we moved when it was time for junior high.
You have the accent, you're just in denial about it.

Quote:
So what you're saying is since Boston is smaller, the whole city is like Manhattan (rich or poor) and the suburbs around have more blue collar/normal people
Yes, with some caveats. The wealthier suburbs are mostly white collar with pockets of long time blue collar residents.

Old 04-13-2015, 12:45 PM

231 posts, read 402,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
You have the accent, you're just in denial about it.

Yes, with some caveats. The wealthier suburbs are mostly white collar with pockets of long time blue collar residents.
Which neighborhoods/close in suburbs are the most working class/blue collar/Boston accent

Old 04-13-2015, 06:10 PM

3,176 posts, read 3,696,023 times
Quote:
Which neighborhoods/close in suburbs are the most working class/blue collar/Boston accent
Quincy and Braintree are two that come to mind as the closest to the city itself.

Old 04-14-2015, 06:16 AM

3,268 posts, read 3,322,067 times
Quincy, weymouth, abington, randolph, everett, Winthrop.

Old 04-14-2015, 07:31 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,810,036 times
Quote:
Throw in Watertown as my vote for most expensive town bordering Boston that's still mostly blue collar.

Old 04-15-2015, 04:16 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,642,323 times
New York is both most blue collar and most white collar. There is more respect in cities like New York and Chicago for the self-made. Boston is more pretentious about whether someone went to private or public school. If someone hasn't gone to an elite private school or has an obvious regional dialect it is very difficult for them to rise beyond a certain rank. The only exception the Boston banking industry is filled with executives with roots in Southie, Dorchester and the gateway cities.

Old 04-15-2015, 09:27 PM

686 posts, read 1,137,962 times
I think both Boston and New York have a strong blue collar element which I love. Cities like Washington DC, and San Francisco seem very lacking to me in that they really do not have that blue collar element....

But of course New York is just so much bigger...so there is more of everything...blue collar...the 1%...everything in between, it is almost an apples to oranges comparison.

Old 04-15-2015, 09:55 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,467,718 times
I went to college at BU, I always thought of Boston as a very educated white collar city. I knew kids that went to college for free their parents paid 40-50 a k for them to go and gave them BMW, Mercedes, Audi or Porsches at 18. Boston does have a blue collar element but the cost of living is so expensive now people tend to view it as a white class upper crust city, lot of Ivy League educated families that live in the Boston metro like Weston, Wellesley, Newton, Brookline and even in the city proper Boston in Back Bay. Boston is a very educated city it has lot of competition for high paying jobs which is way its mostly seen as a white collar city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts