Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2015, 06:29 PM

52 posts, read 84,195 times

Advertisements

Hi!

I'm adopting a dog from the pound in CT, but I am a MA resident. I never adopted a dog from out of state before.

I hope someone can help me with my question since I'm a little confused with the MA Pet Law for adopting a dog out of state. It says:

In 2005, Massachusetts issued an emergency order in response to dogs being brought into the state for sale or adoption (including "satos" from Puerto Rico) without proper medical care or quarantine. Dogs cannot be imported into Massachusetts unless they are going directly to an approved quarantine facility. After 48 hrs in quarantine, the dogs must be examined by a vet before being released to foster homes.

In Massachusetts, Connecticut and some other states, regulations have been tightened in recent years to require rabies certificates and 48-hour quarantine periods for dogs arriving from outside the state.

So does that mean if I'm adopting my dog in CT, I have to put my dog at the quarantine for 2 days then to the vet?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2015, 08:05 PM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,156,010 times
Have you picked out the dog yet? Ask the pound if the dog has been vaccinated by them for rabies and when it was done. I don't think that you will have a problem bringing the dog in from a CT shelter. Most New England animal shelters and pounds are very responsible when it comes to the dogs and cats they are holding in their kennels.

Old 04-23-2015, 09:30 PM

52 posts, read 84,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Have you picked out the dog yet? Ask the pound if the dog has been vaccinated by them for rabies and when it was done. I don't think that you will have a problem bringing the dog in from a CT shelter. Most New England animal shelters and pounds are very responsible when it comes to the dogs and cats they are holding in their kennels.
Hi miu!

I will this Saturday.

The regional animal control officer told me the dog is healthy and the towns do the least amount when it comes to vetting dogs in the pound.

I will ask him if he has health records that the dog has been vetted etc such as rabies.

Thank you so much for responding! I just don't want to get penalize by the state or something happens to the dog because of me misunderstanding the state law.

Old 04-24-2015, 05:28 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,136,633 times
When I adopted my dog a few years back, the shelter arranged a pick-up in Maine - specifically to avoid the 48 hour quarantine. Neither the vet or the animal control officer in town gave much care beyond having up to date rabies shots. Given the number of people in town who adopted dogs in CT or ME without proper quarantine or issue, I suspect you have little to worry about.

Old 04-24-2015, 05:35 AM

837 posts, read 1,225,131 times
We adopted one of our huskies from CT last winter and had no issues whatsoever. The big thing is that the dog in question has had an updated rabies vac, that's all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts