Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2015, 08:04 PM

16 posts, read 95,330 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I am from Canada and gealthcare is free in here, I am considering to move to Boston to join my bf so I'm kinda worried about the healthcare issue. How does it work? Can I get medical care if I ever get sick?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2015, 03:28 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,276,723 times
You need to sign up and pay premiums BEFORE you get sick if you want/need insurance to pay for it. A USA hospital will not bill Canada for your care.

This should help: https://www.mahealthconnector.org

Also, if you are living with your partner, you might be able to be added to his plan in some places.

Old 10-15-2015, 05:10 AM

3,176 posts, read 3,696,617 times
Basically if you have a job you pay for insurance. Otherwise there is a government run mechanism to buy insurance, but you need to be a legal US resident.

Yes there are co-pays if you get sick and deductibles for tests or hospitalization (among other things) however Healthcare in Canada isn't free - people pay much higher taxes than in the US.

Old 10-18-2015, 06:05 AM

248 posts, read 342,906 times
You need to purchase health insurance for yourself. What kind of VISA will you have? If you'll have work or student VISA (H-1B, F-1, J-1), you can purchase health insurance on the Massachusetts exchange (link provided by poster above), though you won't be eligible for Medicaid. If you'll have a tourist VISA, you'll need to purchase travel health insurance. Travel insurance generally has pretty limited coverage.

Honestly, unless you have a job lined up (which would provide you with a work VISA and access to the exchange and possibly employer subsidized health insurance), I would not be moving (as opposed to just visiting) to another country to be with a boyfriend. If you are getting married, that's a different story, as you could get coverage from his plan as spouse. And, health insurance isn't the only reason not to move without a commitment.

Old 10-18-2015, 07:15 AM

1,949 posts, read 4,422,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myriambh View Post
Hi all, I am from Canada and gealthcare is free in here, I am considering to move to Boston to join my bf so I'm kinda worried about the healthcare issue. How does it work? Can I get medical care if I ever get sick?
Thanks!
Here's a good place to start https://www.mahealthconnector.org/ there are many options throughout all price ranges. Not being a Citizen your not eligible for government sponsored healthcare but that doesn't matter as I assume your going to get a job right? Almost ever employer (very few exceptions) must provide a health plan. The law doesn't say it has to be a good one, but your typically ok for single person coverage regardless. Health insurance in MA is higher than many other states, as with most things in MA. However, you will never be denied healthcare if you need it here. Without insurance you'll have a nice bill coming but if anything bad every happened you would be treated regardless. For most small things that don't require hospital visits I'm a fan of urgent care clinics. There nice, clean and affordable. Many people are replacing their primary care doctors with them since you can just walk in, be seen, get prescriptions etc. I walked in, got my yearly physical, a cholesterol test and a flu shot for about $200. Can't beat that. I've got insurance now but still a fan of those places.

Also, your healthcare in Canada is NOT free, don't let the fact that you don't leave with a bill fool you! Your government gets that money from you! Your tax rate is higher and cost of living is usually higher as well. Your still loosing the money, just somewhere else.

Old 10-18-2015, 09:08 AM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Not being a Citizen your not eligible for government sponsored healthcare

Slight correction to the last post. You do not have to be a citizen. You need to become a legal permanent resident. The citizenship process comes last and is not necessary. The laws are strange about becoming a legal permanent resident and so the usual way is to get engaged or married and come on a spousal visa. That would be kind of awkward if he is only your boyfriend.

I don't know about work visas and student visas, but as mentioned before, you could get insurance those ways too. I think a three month travel visa is about the best you could do. You would not be allowed to work though. Therefore you could not get insurance. Probably you would use travel insurance.

Last edited by in_newengland; 10-18-2015 at 09:18 AM..

Old 10-18-2015, 03:43 PM

617 posts, read 538,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
Basically if you have a job you pay for insurance. Otherwise there is a government run mechanism to buy insurance, but you need to be a legal US resident.

however Healthcare in Canada isn't free - people pay much higher taxes than in the US.
Giving that not just healthcare but also higher education in Canada is nearly free, and their property taxes are much lower, it's safe to say that Canada's taxes are actually lower than US.

Old 10-18-2015, 03:45 PM

3,176 posts, read 3,696,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by civis View Post
Giving that not just healthcare but also higher education in Canada is nearly free, and their property taxes are much lower, it's safe to say that Canada's taxes are actually lower than US.
Their income and sales taxes are much higher than anything in the United States.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
View detailed profiles of: