Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 07:05 PM

46 posts, read 72,754 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know if one needs a permit to :

1 - Replace current lighting fixture with a new one?
2 - Replace a receptacle outlet with a another one (same 15amp just different look)?
3 - Replace a light switch with another one (same 15amp just different look)?
4 - Do you need a licensed electrician to perform those tasks or can you do it on your own?

I know it might be obvious to some I'm just curious if it varies from town to town. This is for Norwood but I'd like to know the other towns too if anyone has experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2015, 07:22 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,783,688 times
Never perform work on or around anything electrical if you are not familiar with how to safely proceed. Unlike hanging a door or painting, improperly conducted electrical work can kill you or damage your property. It can also lead to an insurance claim being denied.

With that out of the way, yes you can do this all yourself without a permit. The work you describe is very simple. If you need to, hire a licensed electrician and they will then be required to obtain a permit to perform the work. A homeowner can not pull an electrical permit, only a licensed electrician. Many electricians don't go through the trouble when performing the types of work you describe, but technically they are required to.

Old 04-28-2015, 08:07 PM

Thanks - good points on the insurance claim and safety.

As for handling electrical stuff, I'm capable of doing that (I work with wiring servers, computers and receptacles but I'm not licensed) but I was more concerned with getting dinged by the city with just going to home depot and buying a receptacle to swap out.

Old 04-28-2015, 09:50 PM

4,848 posts, read 11,744,265 times
You can do any of those on your own, no permit or contractor required.

Old 04-28-2015, 10:38 PM

295 posts, read 313,788 times
does everyone here know that replacing a toilet also requires a permit? so from my understanding getting a permit means going to town, pay the fee, perform the work, and then do a follow up inspection. for a plumber that would mean a one hour job becomes a multiple day job that would now take up to 3 to 4 hours minimum with traveling between town hall and customer home taking up the bulk of that time. not to mention waiting for inspection. the most challenging aspect may be the coordination between the inspector, contractor, and homeowner to get the project complete as the plumber suddenly has to leave sections of his/her schedule open to be present for inspection time frame. cant there be an easier way to do this for all involved? just something like internet scheduling would make this process easier not to mention new technologies like video conferencing through the phone. i can imagine an inspector will be able to tell through a video if a toilet was flushing and installed properly or not(i could be wrong, but you get my idea).

i would like to know if there are any towns out there that has found a way to make this process more efficient other than the old fashioned way.

oh by the way, with spring upon us dont forget to call dig safe before planting that shrub!

Last edited by Steephill2; 04-28-2015 at 10:55 PM..

Old 04-29-2015, 08:11 AM

24,206 posts, read 16,893,747 times
Soal, doing the work you described is easy BUT you need ot know what you are doing. You do not want to burn your house down. If in doubt buy a book or watch several videos on youtube. If still in doubt call in a pro.

What I think is odd is in Mass. you can do your own electrical but you cannot do your own plumbing. In my mind I think it would be better to flood my house out in the event I messed something up than it would be to burn it down.

Old 04-29-2015, 08:38 AM

15,677 posts, read 20,170,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post

What I think is odd is in Mass. you can do your own electrical but you cannot do your own plumbing. In my mind I think it would be better to flood my house out in the event I messed something up than it would be to burn it down.

I used to be an electrician, and could tell you some interesting things done by homeowners who think they know what they are doing.

I would agree that for a good deal of homeowners who can do basic electrical/plumbing, it would be a waste and nuisance. But the process is there for the odd duck who has no clue what they are doing and wires an entire room in speaker wire from radio shack.

For simple stuff like changing out a fixture or receptacle, if you are comfortable working with electricity i'd just go ahead and do it. If you have any doubts then call an electrician. Most won't pull a permit as it's pretty simple work, and they don't want to deal with getting it inspected.

For Joe Guy who wants to refinish his basement complete with rough wiring and plumbing....you might want to think about liabilities regardless of if you can do the work or not. You now have a unpermitted room, and when you sell the house, or if there is a fire, you could have issues.

Old 04-29-2015, 10:12 AM

The plumbing restriction prevents homeowners from performing shady gas work or the intrusion of waste (boiler backflow, sewer) into potable water.

Old 04-29-2015, 02:52 PM

Heh - this is odd. I just called the Norwood town and they said I needed a permit for ANY electrical work (right from the inspector's mouth). I find this amusing but sad - its my own place but I can't do any work (like changing out a light fixture).

Old 04-29-2015, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soal View Post
Heh - this is odd. I just called the Norwood town and they said I needed a permit for ANY electrical work (right from the inspector's mouth). I find this amusing but sad - its my own place but I can't do any work (like changing out a light fixture).
You are allowed, the inspector either is either misinformed or didn't understand that:

1. The work being done is residential, not commercial; and
2. The person performing the work is the property owner; and
3. The person performing the work resides at the property.

If those conditions are true then you can do it yourself.

Quote:
......No person shall install for hire any electrical wiring or fixtures subject to this section without first or within five days after commencing the work......
Key Section
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts