Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 06:53 AM

8 posts, read 8,672 times

Advertisements

This may get quite long but please read. I need advice. I am African American, teacher, retiring soon. I have limited travel throughout Mass, Maine, New Hampshire annually for past 10 years. I absolutely love Mass. But living there on retirement income of $3600 month scares me. I will be selling my home and expect to make a small profit from it. Ideally I would like to settle in Northampton. I have a grown son dependent on Medicaid and SSI. However, he is very good (A+ certified) with computers. He has tried many times to find a job but in this area (Georgia) services and opportunities are limited. Lately because of Mass taxes, I've investigated the possibility of moving to New Hampshire. Been to Portsmouth and Hampton Beach once. Ideally I would like someplace with good medical facilities, mental health services, senior activities, volunteer opportunities, safe, reasonably priced housing, literary and music venues. I have also considered augmenting my income by substitute teaching. I have my Mass teaching certification (never used). It doesn't scare me that New Hampshire is the whitest state in the country (almost). I have only had good experiences meeting people as a tourist in New England. I want to be as far from The South as I can get. Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2015, 06:55 AM

3,176 posts, read 3,696,617 times
You'd probably be fine, as long as you understand your money just won't go as far here as it would elsewhere. Winter weather would be my biggest concern.

Old 05-04-2015, 07:49 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
$3600 post tax?

Old 05-04-2015, 08:21 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,138,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
$3600 post tax?
An important inquiry.

My concern for anyone retiring in New England is the cost of living. It's not just the housing costs, but also the taxes and heating costs.

I know a number of fixed income retirees who had to sell their modest capes or ranches because tax rates / valuations and home heating costs increased so dramatically. These are people who paid off their mortgages decades ago, yet still cannot afford the total COL. Some of the cost concerns for those relocating to MA:

- Taxes. The rates tend to not be too high (at least compared to NH), however, valuations typically are.
- Home heating. Many homes in MA still utilize oil heat and are older/less efficient. It's very easy to burn through thousands of dollars worth of home diesel/oil during the winter months ... particularly if you like a house temp in the high 60s or 70s.
- Snow clearing. 35-60 dollars for a professional to clear an average sized driveway. During a winter such as this years, budget a couple hundred dollars for snow clearing.
- Cars. The winter weather and associated salty roads means wear and tear is generally higher. Unlike GA, one cannot keep a 10 year old car running in MA without spending some serious money. Body panels rust and require repair, brake lines fail due corrosion, etc.

Old 05-04-2015, 08:22 AM

204 posts, read 286,431 times
Wow, if it is post-tax, that's more than I'm making full time (not counting bonuses and freelance on the side) and I consider myself to be doing fairly well. Don't be scared off. If you would be okay living in a smaller place, probably built before 1960, don't have much/any debt or big ongoing medical expenses (that aren't covered), and are good at keeping your day to day costs down, you'll be perfectly fine.

The fact that your son is grown will help a lot. The major factor that inflates rents and home prices here is school reputation. There are plenty of places that are safe, affordable, and pleasant to live but might not have the "best" schools. Medical, mental health, and social services vary from town to town but are generally better closer to Boston. Closer to Northampton, you're more likely to find better prices that are close to literary and music venues -- cultural hubs near Boston are pretty expensive, with the exception of Salem. Actually Salem might be a good place to look. Also Woburn, Medford, Waltham, Lowell. The Northampton area I know less about.

New Hampshire, I don't know specific towns to recommend either. Overall, property taxes are high. I wouldn't worry about it being very white since like you, I've found people up there to be friendly and accepting. But it does have a very libertarian, take-care-of-yourself ethos which lends itself to weaker social/medical services and smaller volunteer opportunities.

Old 05-04-2015, 08:24 AM

204 posts, read 286,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
An important inquiry.

My concern for anyone retiring in New England is the cost of living. It's not just the housing costs, but also the taxes and heating costs.

I know a number of fixed income retirees who had to sell their modest capes or ranches because tax rates / valuations and home heating costs increased so dramatically. These are people who paid off their mortgages decades ago, yet still cannot afford the total COL. Some of the cost concerns for those relocating to MA:

- Taxes. The rates tend to not be too high (at least compared to NH), however, valuations typically are.
- Home heating. Many homes in MA still utilize oil heat and are older/less efficient. It's very easy to burn through thousands of dollars worth of home diesel/oil during the winter months ... particularly if you like a house temp in the high 60s or 70s.
- Snow clearing. 35-60 dollars for a professional to clear an average sized driveway. During a winter such as this years, budget a couple hundred dollars for snow clearing.
- Cars. The winter weather and associated salty roads means wear and tear is generally higher. Unlike GA, one cannot keep a 10 year old car running in MA without spending some serious money. Body panels rust and require repair, brake lines fail due corrosion, etc.
These are good points, although if she plans to rent or buy in a complex she hopefully won't have to deal with all the snow and home maintenance costs. True that heat, cold weather gear, and car costs are higher here.

Old 05-04-2015, 08:36 AM

114 posts, read 323,365 times
>Snow clearing. 35-60 dollars for a professional to clear an average sized driveway. During a winter such as this years, budget a couple hundred dollars for snow clearing.

I wish it were that cheap!! :-) Our bill in Newburyport after this incredibly severe winter was over $1500.

Old 05-04-2015, 08:41 AM

466 posts, read 643,854 times
What about Vermont, if being near the ocean isn't a huge priority? It may give you some of the Northampton vibe with lower prices. I'm sure others can weigh in more knowledgeable than I can as I've only ever briefly visited Vermont.

Old 05-04-2015, 08:44 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,138,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masshawk View Post
These are good points, although if she plans to rent or buy in a complex she hopefully won't have to deal with all the snow and home maintenance costs. True that heat, cold weather gear, and car costs are higher here.
Well, I'd argue that you still pay the costs as the management company will fold them into your rent or condo/HOA fee.

Old 05-04-2015, 10:18 AM

3,688 posts, read 7,428,446 times
$3600 per month before taxes would be a sufficient retirement income for you and your son in New England if you owned your own home or condo free and clear. However, if you need to pay rent then I would think twice about making the move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts