Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 08:19 PM

5 posts, read 18,848 times

Advertisements

Hi All -
I'm really glad I found this forum. I currently live in Carmel, IN (suburb of Indianapolis) and I am in contention for a job in Marlborough. I have a family (wife and two boys - 2 and 5). I was wondering if anyone might have some good suggestions for us to look at for places to live that are not terribly far or hard to commute to Marlborough.

Everything that I have read so far says that the Marlborough school district is probably not one that I want to move into. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Our top priority is the school district. We are looking to stay in the $300-400K range in housing, if possible.

My wife keeps pointing to the Acton/Boxborough area based on school scores, but those towns seem awful pricey...is it a pretty well-to-do place?
I've also heard of Shrewsbury and Westborough from searching the posts.
How is Concord?

Thanks in advanced for any of your tirades, rants and opinions!
Ray
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2008, 09:01 PM

121 posts, read 410,606 times
First off, good luck with the job opportunity in Marlboro.

Secondly, we moved out of Marlboro when we had kids. Just didn't want to raise our kids there. The surrounding towns like Southboro, Westboro, Shrewsbury, Acton, Boxboro are all nice towns, but come at a price. I haven't lived in those towns, but I know they are not cheap.

Let me point out another area worth considering. Check out Upton and Mendon. Both are just west of Rte 495 and fairly convenient to highways. I would think both are between 25 - 35 minutes to Marlboro.

Also, consider Hopedale. A great little town, with good schools, good athletics, and very little turnover. I sent you a private message with some additional info that you may be interested in.

good luck.

Old 01-19-2008, 09:21 AM

735 posts, read 3,501,333 times
There are some great options in Westborough and Northborough- both great communities, schools, and area. Southborough is amazing too, but not many options in your price range. Hopkinton is another option slightly farther away, but VERY easy access to Marlborough on Rt. 85.

Check this out: MONEY Magazine: Best places to live 2007: Westborough, MA snapshot

I would say look at Westborough first and Hopkinton. The entire area has many options and I highly recommend it.

Good luck!

Old 02-28-2008, 02:17 PM

5 posts, read 18,848 times
Default Woo hoo!

Hi All -

I got the job and am looking at a house hunting trip in week or so! My family and I are very psyched about this new adventure!

We've been set up with a relocation realtor who is helping us narrow down the types and lists of homes and neighboorhoods. The job is in Marlborough and I would like a commute of 30 minutes or less.

Currently the towns in contention are Shrewsbury, Northborough, Southborough, Westborough, Grafton, Holliston, and sort of anywhere close by.

We are looking at 3-4 bedroom homes in the 350-400 range...

Our first concern is school district...BUT - after a little reading - did everyone see that MA ranks first with US News and World Report for Public HS!? I dunno about others, but that's exciting to us.

Are there any words of advice anyone might have to soon-to-be new MA residents? Do those towns have good reputations? Are we being unrealistic in expectations?

Any sage would very much be appreciated...

On a side note - I noticed a good amount of Dunkin' Donuts when I was up for my interview in January...was I just seeing things!? I LOVE DD! We lost em in TX when I was in Middle School!

Thanks all!
RC

Old 02-28-2008, 02:23 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,945,596 times
RC, congrats on getting the job I can't help you with the towns you're looking in (sounds like alot of boroughs!) but I can tell you that DD's are alive and well, and there should at least 2 in every town in MA & NH--nothing wrong with that!! Hopefully you'll be ushering in some warmer weather when you come for your visit. Look forward to hearing your impressions of Massachusetts, and be sure to get to the coast for some seafood while you're here!!

Old 02-28-2008, 02:46 PM

18,722 posts, read 33,380,506 times
Acton is wonderful- unpretentious. Concord is older and more historic and also wonderful, but I think out of your price range. Consider Littleton (disclaimer- I live here). A rural small-town feeling one mile off I-495, about 15 mi. to Marlborough. Schools well-rated, and absolutely unpretentious town with lots of open land and some lakes. There are a few big new houses out of your range, but for up to $400K, you have a lot of choices.
Stow is also nice, not sure of the price ranges.
Welcome to MA!

Old 02-28-2008, 02:53 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,302,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc0018 View Post
On a side note - I noticed a good amount of Dunkin' Donuts when I was up for my interview in January...was I just seeing things!? I LOVE DD! We lost em in TX when I was in Middle School!

Thanks all!
RC
Congratulations.

Massachusetts is the capital of Dunkin' Donuts. It was founded just outside Boston and as you get closer to the city, they are every 3 blocks. Along with CVS, another locally based chain.

You'll have a much easier time finding a suitable house in the towns you've named out by 495 than you would in the more immediate Boston area. Happy hunting!

Old 02-28-2008, 03:39 PM

2,412 posts, read 7,176,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc0018 View Post
Our first concern is school district...BUT - after a little reading - did everyone see that MA ranks first with US News and World Report for Public HS!? I dunno about others, but that's exciting to us.
Yes, Mass. public schools are, overall, some of the best in the U.S. But there is A LOT of variance from town to town, so you have to be careful.

I would suggest "buying the town" -- that is, buy in the best town/school system you can get. This may mean compromising a bit on the house, but you can always remodel/add-on -- or even move up -- later. Go for location, first and foremost.

Dunkin Donuts is the near-universal place of worship in Mass. And it's all about the coffee--their donuts are quite average. But, oh, that hot cup of joe... There are plenty of Starbucks folks, of course, but most of them even drink DD from time to time.

Old 02-28-2008, 03:43 PM

100 posts, read 474,983 times
Overall from your comments I would give Serious consideration to Boylston and Berlin and consider taking your kids to another school system if necessary. Best in my opinion for value is Shrewsbury but you may be hard pressed to find something in your price range.

Old 02-28-2008, 04:44 PM

1,810 posts, read 10,486,157 times
There are many towns within 30 minute range of Marlborough. The expectation is key... what you get here is much smaller and older for the same price as compare to IN. However, don't let the price deter you from choosing a town. There is always a smaller house at that price.

The only caution if you select town in the South... like Franklin... just beware of the traffic back up due to people trying to get onto I90 to Boston during rush hour. You can add 15-20 minutes if you travel during rush hour.

The towns you mention west or just next to it does not have any problem as you can get on local roads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts