U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2015, 08:52 AM

404 posts, read 441,489 times

Advertisements

How come nobody asks about these burbs? Are they good family towns? Good schools? what are some important things to know that an outsider wouldn't know?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2015, 09:32 AM

756 posts, read 713,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by traffic_lover View Post
How come nobody asks about these burbs? Are they good family towns? Good schools? what are some important things to know that an outsider wouldn't know?
My wife and I were actually looking to purchase a home in those towns initially (including Wilmington and Melrose), but decided to move to the South Shore instead. I did a ton of research on the area before contacting a realtor, and this is what I took away from the experience after looking at many homes and driving around the area.

Stoneham: I don't think the schools are highly rated, but not horrible either. The homes we noticed were very pricey, and for not a lot of house either. I think Stoneham's proximity to Boston/Medford is the reason its highly desirable.

Woburn: Was the cheapest(ish) area we looked in. Schools aren't good (maybe thats changed?) and some parts we drove around seemed a little seedy/sketchy. The nicer neighborhoods we saw were in the west part of Woburn.

Burlington: Schools are great, more suburban feeling than the other 2 towns. A lot of commercial stuff and a very big mall near the highway. I got a good vibe from Burlington, but unfortunately we couldn't afford our ideal house. (Our budget of $375k would've got us a ranch or split level ranch that needed a lot of updating)

Old 05-14-2015, 10:00 AM

8,358 posts, read 12,639,081 times
That's a good summary.

traffic_lover, have you ever seen the movie A Civil Action? That's about Woburn.

Old 05-14-2015, 10:41 AM

2,181 posts, read 1,265,725 times
A Civil Action is relevant if you're planning on moving to East Woburn between 1964 and 1979.

W.R. Grace is long gone, the contaminated wells were shut down long ago, and the site has been cleaned up.

Old 05-14-2015, 11:01 AM

404 posts, read 441,489 times
Vtec, what was your take on reading?

Old 05-14-2015, 11:37 AM

519 posts, read 647,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp775 View Post
A Civil Action is relevant if you're planning on moving to East Woburn between 1964 and 1979.

W.R. Grace is long gone, the contaminated wells were shut down long ago, and the site has been cleaned up.
A Civil Action is still relevant if you're looking to move to one of the developments on the original Superfund cites TODAY.

Jefferson at Washington Crossing Apartments are located there. As a condition of moving in, you need to sign a waiver. I looked at those apartments a few years back and decided not to move in because of it.

The Ugly Truth: Mass. Superfund Sites Still Toxic Nearly 30 Years And More Than $1B Later | WBUR

Old 05-14-2015, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by traffic_lover View Post
Vtec, what was your take on reading?

Reading is a really nice town, great schools, but again the only issue is the price point on the single family homes. I mean, if you don't mind spending 400k on a non-updated ranch/small cape style house with 2-3 beds and 1-2 bathroom, then there are options there for people. My wife and i just didn't see the justice in spending that much money on a small, older home.

Old 05-14-2015, 12:45 PM

1,769 posts, read 2,762,170 times
Reading is an excellent buy. Still relatively affordable, but well run town with good commercial tax base, safe, and with good schools. It offers very good access to Boston. Everything points to getting more expensive in the next couple of years as prices continue to push people little further of of Boston/Cambridge area.

Personally, location beats size and condition of any house, any day. You can change and upgrade everything about your home little by little, but the sub-par location that will always drag you down. Never "overestimate" area you are buying in.
Smart buyers make more money on condos in desirable areas, than going for "proper" big SF in so-so towns.

Old 05-14-2015, 01:31 PM

Just checked zillow for ****s and giggles, and there are only 2 homes in Reading under 500k. And they are both above 400k smh...I'm all for living in a good location (I do now) but being house broke just to live in a particular town is pointless. There are tons of towns with great schools that are a little bit more affordable ( well affordable for MA standards)

Old 05-14-2015, 06:02 PM

1,769 posts, read 2,762,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtecluder617 View Post
Just checked zillow for ****s and giggles, and there are only 2 homes in Reading under 500k. And they are both above 400k smh...I'm all for living in a good location (I do now) but being house broke just to live in a particular town is pointless. There are tons of towns with great schools that are a little bit more affordable ( well affordable for MA standards)
Nothing with good location is affordable nowadays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or