Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2006, 04:58 PM

11 posts, read 49,079 times

Advertisements

I echo STAY OUT of LYNN.. Danvers is a very nice town, good schools, low crime, good shopping. Homes are about equal to the cost in Salem. You could also look at Middleton. There are some great towns in that area. Do you know where you will be working?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2006, 11:53 PM

9 posts, read 40,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbin5371 View Post
I echo STAY OUT of LYNN.. Danvers is a very nice town, good schools, low crime, good shopping. Homes are about equal to the cost in Salem. You could also look at Middleton. There are some great towns in that area. Do you know where you will be working?
I HAVE LOOKED THERE ALSO IT SEEMS NICE HOW ABOUT MARBLEHEAD? BEING SO CLOSE TO THE OCEAN IS THERE A LOT OF SNOW FALL? AS FAR AS JOBS GO I AM IN THE PROCESS OF STARTING MY OWN BUSINESS. I WANT A SMALL BAKERY THAT SPECIALIZES IN A FEW ITEMS THAT ARE FAMILY RECIPES OF BOTH OF MY GRANDMOTHERS. ONE OF THEM ACTUALLY LIVED IN MA FOR A WHILE MAYBE THAT IS WHY I AM SO STRONGLY DRAWN TO THIS STATE. I AM A HAIRSTYLIST SO I WILL GET MY LICENSE TRANSFERRED TO THERE AND FIND A JOB AT A SALON SOMEWHERE. YOU GUYS HAVE BEEN A LOT OF HELP!!!

Old 11-23-2006, 10:26 PM

5 posts, read 38,596 times
Salem isn't too bad but it might be kind of weird for you because of all the history about witches and all that. in that north shore greater boston area, just say out of lynn.

Old 11-25-2006, 02:14 PM

1,810 posts, read 10,487,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txbaker View Post
I HAVE LOOKED THERE ALSO IT SEEMS NICE HOW ABOUT MARBLEHEAD? BEING SO CLOSE TO THE OCEAN IS THERE A LOT OF SNOW FALL? AS FAR AS JOBS GO I AM IN THE PROCESS OF STARTING MY OWN BUSINESS. I WANT A SMALL BAKERY THAT SPECIALIZES IN A FEW ITEMS THAT ARE FAMILY RECIPES OF BOTH OF MY GRANDMOTHERS. ONE OF THEM ACTUALLY LIVED IN MA FOR A WHILE MAYBE THAT IS WHY I AM SO STRONGLY DRAWN TO THIS STATE. I AM A HAIRSTYLIST SO I WILL GET MY LICENSE TRANSFERRED TO THERE AND FIND A JOB AT A SALON SOMEWHERE. YOU GUYS HAVE BEEN A LOT OF HELP!!!
Best wishes on your business venture (the bakery). I love bread and dessert. I'll skip dinner for dessert. What's your specialty? There are not too many bakery where you can have a piece of cake and hair cut too

Old 11-25-2006, 02:57 PM

10,020 posts, read 15,665,421 times
Quote:
Marblehead is a very nice town. Expensive, but nice. I wish we had a nice bakery in my town.

Old 11-26-2006, 06:11 PM

9 posts, read 40,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarty View Post
Best wishes on your business venture (the bakery). I love bread and dessert. I'll skip dinner for dessert. What's your specialty? There are not too many bakery where you can have a piece of cake and hair cut too
my specialties are cheesecakes, muffins and several other tasty treats. i want a warm family friendly atmosphere where anyone feels welcome to come and have a treat and some coffee or cocoa no matter what time of day. although i wont be doing hair in there for sanitation reasons and regulations but i to hope that it works i want a job i enjoy doing and not mind getting up every morning to do it!! i have ran into several people who have moved from massachusetts to texas and so far every one of them has regreted it stating that if it wasnt for family being down here they would move back in a heart beat. which is really nice to know!!!!

Old 11-27-2006, 01:34 PM

1,810 posts, read 10,487,245 times
Quote:
my specialties are cheesecakes, muffins and several other tasty treats. i want a warm family friendly atmosphere where anyone feels welcome to come and have a treat and some coffee or cocoa no matter what time of day. although i wont be doing hair in there for sanitation reasons and regulations but i to hope that it works i want a job i enjoy doing and not mind getting up every morning to do it!! i have ran into several people who have moved from massachusetts to texas and so far every one of them has regreted it stating that if it wasnt for family being down here they would move back in a heart beat. which is really nice to know!!!!
Yum Yum yum... NY style? Lots of whipped cream ...

The Cheesecake Factory around here averages an hour wait. You know how popular cheese cakes are. The Cheesecake Factory's cheesecake is the perception of what cheese cake is suppose to be. Hence, beware. Restaurant business is competitive. I suggest a HIP restaurant rather than family. If you are hot, you are hot. People tend to spend more with hip restaurants than family. Just a suggestion. Check out Phantomgourmet website where they review area restaurants.

Old 04-03-2007, 12:18 PM

31 posts, read 216,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragondog View Post
Salem is a safe town, with very good schools.

You can't be serious. Salem has some of the worst public schools in the state!!

Old 04-03-2007, 07:24 PM

13 posts, read 45,303 times
i live in salem a short time. i always thought it was crappy. it reminded me of new jersey or welcome back cotter. but to some ppl its just an old style.

but it was very safe. i always felt safe. the rough looking ppl were never that bad. the redeeming thing is the town center, because of the witch stuff. nice shoppes and restaurants. they are always trying to make it look pretty because it is an impt tourist destination.

danvers has a lot of shopping. i would always go there. and its a short ride to boston. peabody is okay i guess. marblehead is nice.

i think salem is okay to raise children in. they will be okay. i dont know about their schools, but i saw many families and children. they will like salem willows park. it has iced creams and arcades. lots of children there.

you should stay away from lynn and also the beach there because there are some bad ppl there. stay away from malden and lowell too. i wouldnt worry about passing through. just dont mingle.

i liked living in salem for awhile, esp during halloween. they have a festival there. it is a fun place.

Old 07-06-2010, 10:42 PM

1 posts, read 2,313 times
What is the nearest Airport to Salem, MA. If I am leaving Los Angeles, CA do I go to Boston or Worcester ??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts