Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 06:02 PM

7 posts, read 8,606 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,
I'm moving to Worcester this summer and starting my new job in the city and am looking into the different neighborhoods in the area. Which areas are the best and worst for young (mid 20's - early 30's) to live. I will be without a car for awhile and would need good access to public transportation. This a must!

Are there any good apartment buildings you all would recommend touring?
Also, any advice on the 3 decker style apartment buildings?
Also, what is the average rent price for a studio and/or 1 bedroom apartment? Any other advice, helpful information is very appreciated!

Last edited by Mass-newbie; 05-21-2015 at 06:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2015, 09:04 AM

1,395 posts, read 5,085,180 times
Hi!

The West Side is always recommended - Salisbury Street area, Tatnuck neighborhood too.

I lived on Rock Ave off Burncoat Street in a 3 decker for awhile. I loved that apartment. The owner has just recently renovated the entire building. The apartment was HUGE! Built in china cabinet in the dining room. It was beautiful on the inside. This is not always the case with 3 deckers. We were lucky. The area was okay and I never felt unsafe there.

I never used public transportation in Worcester so I don't know much about bus stops.

The only apartment buildings that I'm aware of are Canal Lofts & Voke Lofts Voke Lofts-Worcester
Canal Lofts-Worcester. Voke Lofts being in a nicer area than Canal.

I know there are a bunch of apartments off of Mill Street, but I don't know anything about if they are okay or not. Seems like a decent area of the city tho.

I would avoid Main South, anything near Green Hill Park, & anything too close to Great Brook Valley.

Old 05-22-2015, 02:07 PM

Thanks for the info! I will look into the apartments that you mentioned.

Are their any pros/cons of living in a 3 decker style apartment building?

Old 05-23-2015, 05:29 AM

21,631 posts, read 12,773,959 times
3 Decker's:

Pros- lots of natural light due to the healthy amount of wi does compared to a row house of larger apartmentcomplex...all 4 sides of your unit get light

-You usually get a little balcony you can go out on...often times back and front...

-unique layout is more like a single family home in that way than an apartment.

-Depending on The area usually comes with either a small back or front yard or both

-aestethically unique inside and out and if its a condo may have good resale value because of glass doorknobs or wall moldings

Cons:

Usually old as hell thus rickety maybe with a sloping porch or chipping vinyl

Originally built for multti generational blur collar families thus offering poor sound insulation. And poor smell insulation for some reason

-Extremely hard to move furniture into anything on The 2nd or 3rd floor

-Expensive to heat...can over heat the 3rd floor in the summer

-Unless in a gentrifying area its usually occupied by lower class or working class folks and you have to walk by their apartments if our in the 2nd or 3rd floor and can hear and smell everything which matters if they like playing loud salsa music and cooking with 4-29 different spices with every ethnic meal lmao.

Final word:
Again. The buildings are so unique there is so much variation of features. Older homes were usually more pain stakingly done and offer more features (built circa 1880-1900) newer ones are more bare bones. But theyre newer (1900-1930)

Old 05-23-2015, 06:32 PM

Thanks, that's very helpful! It seems that I keep coming across so many available triple deckers in the area.

Do you or anyone else know the average cost of a studio and one-bedroom apartment in the area? I want to make sure I'm not overpaying or underpaying on a good apartment.

Old 05-23-2015, 08:24 PM

1,395 posts, read 5,085,180 times
I'm not super familiar with rental properties in Worcester, but I did look quickly just now and apartments start at $800 a month. An apartment on the West Side rents for $995. (good area). The rentals I just saw ranged in price between $800 & $1100.

My realtor has a special login site where I can search Massachusetts MLS. I checked realtor.com for rentals in Worcester and came back with like 6 properties. Searching my realtor's site for Worcester came back with 67 rentals. MLSPropertyFinder.com is what I used to check.

Old 05-25-2015, 11:53 AM

thanks Kelly!
When looking for rentals in the area, would you suggest using a realtor to assist?

Old 05-28-2015, 11:44 AM

1,940 posts, read 3,593,245 times
I would personally look to rent a 3 decker apartment. I lived at Tatnuck Arms apartments years ago and it really didn't have the best tenants or management. My place had been broken into once and I moved shortly after that. The landlord let I lived at a couple other places on Mill Street and they were fine. I have also lived in 3 deckers, which seemed to be quieter than the apartment complex.

Old 05-28-2015, 08:08 PM

Thanks! What websites are best for looking to rent at a triple decker? Im having a semi hard time finding them.

Does mill street have a good amount of rental properties?

Old 05-28-2015, 08:24 PM

652 posts, read 750,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass-newbie View Post
Thanks! What websites are best for looking to rent at a triple decker? Im having a semi hard time finding them.

Does mill street have a good amount of rental properties?
I rented 4 different apartments via Craigslist. You may find that some listings are really just "fly traps" to get you in touch with realtors. But you can work with them to find something that work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts