Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 07:37 AM

9,871 posts, read 7,639,617 times

Advertisements

Is there much of a difference? Own opinion which one do you feel is a better state? I feel Mass has more to do then CT, close to CT, NY, the Cape, close to Maine, VT, and NH. A lot more job opportunities.

Is taxes comparable to CT? Looked at a few houses they weren't as high as CT in terms of what they offered.

Appreciate the feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2015, 08:20 AM

3,176 posts, read 3,680,772 times
CT has higher taxes on average. I can't really speak to whether one state is better than the other.

Old 05-28-2015, 08:26 AM

6,301 posts, read 9,613,477 times
This might be a better question for the city vs. city forum.

Old 05-28-2015, 08:50 AM

2,310 posts, read 6,808,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
CT has higher taxes on average. I can't really speak to whether one state is better than the other.
Agree. Also gasoline is more expensive by 15 to 20 c per gallon.

However, I was in Hartford earlier and found an Aldi and Shoprite. Grocery purchases in these 2 chains are typically cheaper than the stores near me in MA.

Saying MA is better than CT and vice versa is kind of broad. What do you plan to do in MA that you want to do but can't in CT? If you are aiming for better employment, what line of work do you do and why do you think it would be better in MA?? Also, house prices swing all over the place depending on proximity to Boston/Cambridge, town reputation, schools, etc. The western MA housing market is a world apart from eastern MA.

Help us help you by being more specific in what you want to know!!

Old 05-28-2015, 10:46 AM

2,439 posts, read 4,818,506 times
Not that much of a difference--they seem about as alike as two states could be. Mass has more tourist attractions than Conn, if that's what you mean by having more to do. But I wouldn't move just to be closer to tourist attractions.

Conn has better hot dogs and pizza, no?

Other than trivial criteria like that I'm not sure anyone can say one is better than the other.

Old 05-28-2015, 12:00 PM

Considering north eastern area of Mass above Boston close to New Hampshire. Like the area for it's history, work opportunities, and colleges.

Fiancé is in LPN school I work as a counselor assistant and CNA. We're both considering going for our BSN. Saw a LPN to BSN bridge program in the Salem area. Also another 4 year school and believe 2 or 3 community colleges with nursing program's.

Found almost 40 LPN job's compared to the 10 on average here most were per diem.

I been to Springfield, Andover, and Berkshires I like the area. I don't feel it is crowded. Here the roads are crowded, congested, and roads are not in great shape. State has a few nice outdoor area's just feel Mass is closer to the outdoors especially being near NH.

Taxes are high here I paid $800 last year for car taxes. I believe the mill rate in my city is about 72-75%.

Also housing seems better priced nicer.

Again appreciate all the feedback.

Old 05-28-2015, 12:17 PM

6,504 posts, read 4,909,973 times
The Berkshires are completely different than the Salem area. Boston is very congested, and expensive

Old 05-28-2015, 01:47 PM

1,130 posts, read 1,254,635 times
Rural vs. urban might be the key differential here, in either state.

Old 05-28-2015, 02:02 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,229,162 times
You need to consider that jobs like in CT are usually in congested expensive areas. Like in CT some areas are wonderful and COL not as high, but unless you have secure job or a trust fund, you are in for a long commute, and all sorts of traffic aggravation and stress, including job insecurity. You are trading one very similar area to another.

MA has worse winters, higher heating costs, and worse wear and tear on cars, homes, roads and people.
Unless you can swing to go here to school on a cheap, I would say it is not worth it.

Only if you can get jobs right away, and jobs makes sense financially, I would say to go for it. Rest might fall in place then.

Old 05-28-2015, 04:45 PM

Yeah basically looking to buy a house after finding job's and go to school after finding work and place to live. College tuition was about the same $30K.

Finding work is the main reason wanting to leave CT. Looking at NY and NH. Looking mostly around the Hudson and near the city...was to expensive and very few job's.

NH looked nice, housing prices were good, and loved the area, but few job opportunities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts