Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2015, 09:09 AM

8 posts, read 11,212 times

Advertisements

I will start a new position in the Kendall Square area. I am moving from the Midwest with my family. I have two school age children (Pre-K and Elementary school). We plan to rent (budget $2500 - $2800) in areas with very good school districts. Where are the good places to live with 45 mins to an hour commute to Cambridge? We like what we read about Arlington. Any suggestions/advice would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2015, 09:30 AM

550 posts, read 680,411 times
Arlington, Belmont, Winchester and Watertown. All great towns with good schools and close to Cambridge

Old 05-31-2015, 09:36 AM

1,768 posts, read 3,239,864 times
Your best bet are the usual suspects, Arlington would offer good schools and pretty easy commute. Excellent amenities for family as well. Belmont would offer better schools, good commute, and family friendly and safe area with great amenities.

Watertown has not as highly regarded schools, OK not great, but would still be doable if you find some good rentals there. Although with other two I doubt you will have an issue. Both towns offer better schools and fit and that regard.

Make sure you understand lead issues when renting with kids under 6, if applicable. And also consider that RE is crazy and moves fast. Do not take much time to make decision, especially if good fit. Most landlords expect first, last and security whne signing the lease, so be financial prepared (by law they charge 3x rent and a new keys, anything else should be suspicious). Try to avoid RE agents and fees if possible, unless you have trouble getting your foot in the door and finding something on your own. I think your budget is doable in Arlington and Belmont if you accept that most places for rent are in older two families, with decent ammenities but nothing will be very big, newly built, or luxurious. Budget for heat, and higher COL in general.

Good luck.

Old 05-31-2015, 06:15 PM

1,204 posts, read 1,217,494 times
Winchester! I'm from Medford and all of the teachers at my schools were jealous of Winchester. IIRC a big reason was the kids get such a good education that when it comes to taking standardized tests rather than having to teach the tests the teachers could more or less just have the kids stare at the walls during the prep periods and they'd still get amazing scores. I also remember some people thought folks in Winchester were snobs, but that's probably just jealousy again. For what it's worth it's a pretty nice area in addition to the aforementioned school system.

Old 05-31-2015, 06:44 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,239,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japanfan1986 View Post
Winchester! I'm from Medford and all of the teachers at my schools were jealous of Winchester. IIRC a big reason was the kids get such a good education that when it comes to taking standardized tests rather than having to teach the tests the teachers could more or less just have the kids stare at the walls during the prep periods and they'd still get amazing scores. I also remember some people thought folks in Winchester were snobs, but that's probably just jealousy again. For what it's worth it's a pretty nice area in addition to the aforementioned school system.
Winchester is great town all around, but commute to Kendal is not!

Anyway, Belmont is higher ranked school district. Makes best US high school list every year--one of few from MA. I am little bit amused by your screen name, and if it is true, you do not know that Japanese princess attended Belmont High some time ago. School was chosen with care for sure.
Cheers.

Old 05-31-2015, 07:18 PM

3,268 posts, read 3,322,067 times
Somerville is convenient. Are arlington schools good? I've heard mixes reviews. Winchester has great schools but it's pricey. Basically anywhere near kendall with good schools will cost you plenty. Highly desirable part of the state these days it seems.

Old 05-31-2015, 07:35 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,921,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingeorge View Post
Winchester is great town all around, but commute to Kendal is not!

Anyway, Belmont is higher ranked school district. Makes best US high school list every year--one of few from MA. I am little bit amused by your screen name, and if it is true, you do not know that Japanese princess attended Belmont High some time ago. School was chosen with care for sure.
Cheers.
Belmont is a better commute to Kendall for sure, especially the parts that you can rent for under $2800. I don't think you can definitively say the schools are better, though. The U.S. News algorithm like Belmont a little better but the Boston Magazine algorithm like Winchester better. I think there's enough separation to say Lexington has better schools than both and is reasonably convenient to Kendall.

Best Public Schools in Boston 2014

Old 06-01-2015, 05:37 AM

304 posts, read 774,235 times
Commuting to Kendall from Winchester is pretty convenient. You can go back roads through Cambridge via Tufts.

Old 06-01-2015, 09:55 PM

1,298 posts, read 1,332,547 times
For someone coming from out of state, I would urge caution in using these "lists" the pick a school. Visit the schools, talk to parents, look at the data in a controlled manner. That's a much better indicator than some standardized test scores or sites like greatschools or schooldigger that really just measure socio-economic status and steer you toward a generally privileged and homogeneous school system.

Alot of talk about Belmont and Arlington here. Here are All Belmont and Arlington elementary schools sorted by grade, subject, and % advanced on MCAS for the Non-Low Income group. I threw in a couple of urban Somerville and Cambridge schools for comparison Full disclaimer we live in Somerville with kids in the schools.

When you control for income, it's pretty amazing at how much the school all really start to look the same on paper. Basically - its the SES of the student that drives success, and schools in these wealthy districts end up getting a lot of credit for simply being in the right place.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B28...ew?usp=sharing

Last edited by semiurbanite; 06-01-2015 at 10:10 PM..

Old 06-02-2015, 07:15 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,921,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by semiurbanite View Post
For someone coming from out of state, I would urge caution in using these "lists" the pick a school. Visit the schools, talk to parents, look at the data in a controlled manner. That's a much better indicator than some standardized test scores or sites like greatschools or schooldigger that really just measure socio-economic status and steer you toward a generally privileged and homogeneous school system.

Alot of talk about Belmont and Arlington here. Here are All Belmont and Arlington elementary schools sorted by grade, subject, and % advanced on MCAS for the Non-Low Income group. I threw in a couple of urban Somerville and Cambridge schools for comparison Full disclaimer we live in Somerville with kids in the schools.

When you control for income, it's pretty amazing at how much the school all really start to look the same on paper. Basically - its the SES of the student that drives success, and schools in these wealthy districts end up getting a lot of credit for simply being in the right place.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B28...ew?usp=sharing
I wouldn't recommend Somerville for someone from the Midwest without a pretty big disclaimer. If you're open to living in a high-density city (Somerville is the highest density in the state) and willing to accept less space for more money, Somerville offers a lot of cultural opportunities and easy access to Kendall Square. Most of the people from the Midwest I know (like my wife) don't really like towns with the density of places even like Belmont, much less Somerville. It's definitely not for everyone but is worth considering.

As for the schools question, I think it's a tough question to answer definitively. There is a strong correlation between demographics and test scores, but using that to predict how the district will serve your particular children is tough. State standardized testing is, for the most part, a pretty low hurdle for most parents who want "great schools". There may be more appropriate metrics. Talking to parents and teachers is certainly going to give you more information (probably biased, but equally so), but that's a lot of work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts