Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2015, 08:43 PM

2,625 posts, read 4,008,679 times

Advertisements

Thinking of coming North for a bit during the summer and renting on the Cape.

We love the charm of Nantucket, Chatham, Sandwich, West Barnstable. Looking for that same feel. Rented the last 2 years on Nantucket, want to try something on the Cape this time.

Need to be in close proximity to a hospital - lots of medical issues going on - so 20 min max. Also, does any town have a 24 hr vet? I think I saw an animal hospital in S. Dennis, but didn't say on their website if they are open 24 hrs (also have a dog with medical issues - LOL).

Would Chatham, Harwich or Brewster be too far?

What about Yarmouth or Dennis - and "which" of these towns? - see they each have a "North, South, East and West".

Just need the basics other than the proximity to the hospital(s). Grocery store, maybe a few casual restaurants close by, some shops, bookstore would be great, but it's not a necessity, beach within 15 min drive would be nice. Something not too isolated. A walkable area would be nice with the dog.

Which couple of towns might fit the bill?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2015, 06:07 AM

2,202 posts, read 5,357,452 times
I'd stick to what would be a 5-10 minute drive to the hospital in the off season to keep your commute there to 20 ish and go from there. My suggestion would be the Barnstable Village or Centerville area for CC Hospital or West Falmouth for Falmouth Hospital.

Old 06-02-2015, 06:15 AM

3,268 posts, read 3,322,067 times
I love Chatham and harwich. I forget where the hospital is but there are lots of old people in harwich, I constantly see ambulances so I can't imagine getting to a hospital would be an issue.

Old 06-02-2015, 06:47 AM

730 posts, read 1,314,220 times
Vet hospital in Dennis is an emergency clinic; unless they've changed their hours, they are open 24 hours and are excellent.

CC hospital is in Hyannis, near the West Yarmouth line - I'd consider Dennis, Bass River section of Yarmouth, YarmouthPort or even Brewster.

Falmouth hospital would make Falmouth a destination. Nice downtown area, nice beaches, all over nice town (if you go to Falmouth, I would make it point to eat at the Glass Onion)

Old 06-02-2015, 05:51 PM

Thanks all.

Is West Falmouth the nicest part of Falmouth? How about Dennis - which part of Dennis is the nicest part - North, South, East or West?

Thanks for the info on the vet hospital. As for human hospitals, is one hospital better the other?

Old 06-04-2015, 05:29 AM

Think we'd rather be nearer Dennis than in Falmouth the be near the 24 hr vet - just in case.

Which of these towns would have more to do - i.e., restaurants, shops, walking trails, beaches - Dennis, Barnstable Village, Brewster, or Yarmouthport/Yarmouth? We're not party people, don't need bars to hang out in, but some casual restaurants and some shops to poke around in - ala Chatham's downtown - is always fun.

Want to stay @ 6A area.

Old 06-04-2015, 01:32 PM

730 posts, read 1,314,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macalan View Post
Thanks all.

Is West Falmouth the nicest part of Falmouth? How about Dennis - which part of Dennis is the nicest part - North, South, East or West?

Thanks for the info on the vet hospital. As for human hospitals, is one hospital better the other?

Hyannis is likely the better hospital, but Falmouth, for what it does, is very good. There are more services available in Hyannis, but also more people. I do believe Hyannis just opened a new emergency room.

Old 06-04-2015, 03:08 PM

Any one of the areas you mentioned would be fine, they just have different flavors. Barnstable Village would be the sleepiest then Brewster. Dennis and Yarmouth are summer party towns and are more kitschy but there are some decent restaurants and shops, just not a bustling downtown. Barnstable Village has coffee shops, a great market and farmer's market, a couple of shops and a couple of good restaurants. Brewster is more spread out but also has some nice shops and restaurants. None will compare to Chatham.

Chatham has the best main street/downtown area on the Cape, followed by Falmouth and then probably Osterville. The boutiques and restaurants on Main Street in Hyannis are good but it's just too congested in summer but it lacks the quaint factor.

Old 06-04-2015, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMarcan920 View Post
Hyannis is likely the better hospital, but Falmouth, for what it does, is very good. There are more services available in Hyannis, but also more people. I do believe Hyannis just opened a new emergency room.
Both CC Hospital in Hyannis and Falmouth Hospital have new ER. They are beautiful and a huge improvement over the old dungeons.

Falmouth has had to add 4 separate drug OD treatment rooms to keep up with the need of the area. I don't know how many CC Hospital has but I would expect the number is greater there. Sad.

Old 06-04-2015, 07:22 PM

Thx. Are the parts of Dennis/Yarmouth near 6A party areas too? That's the part of the Cape we like best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts