Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2006, 08:12 PM

1,330 posts, read 5,077,374 times

Advertisements

Whenever I have gone to the Teapot resturant in Northampton it has been crowded. They are just sushi (last I knew)

South hadley is an idea - that is a nice area you mention..

Center street in Ludlow has great Pike access and is not too far from the mall, and the golf club where many of the local doctors golf..

If Belchertown you can look on Rte 9 near the Stop and Shop that area got a jump start after they put the store in. Would be the last town on my wish list for a resturant tho just because it has so little highway access.

I would much prefer to haul myself from Ware to West Brookfield to go to a resturant like Salem Cross Inn or down to Springfield even for a dinner - and our salary at the time barely eeked over 40K. The area is not exactly hicktown.. Look at the malls and how well they are doing and the housing going up in the area.

People in general like to try new foods from what I have seen there. The question is how well can you market your resturant so people know where you are and want to get there when they have so many options in the area?

Curious to the others who responded when the last time you lived in the area? Or if you still live there. The area really got moving during the 3 years I lived there (01-04) and on my return visits I see even more growth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2006, 08:40 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,044,543 times
Winnie, while I haven't lived in the Valley for a good ten-odd years, I regularly visit and yes, it has grown some, but even with growth supporting a restaurant takes lots of folks. And competition is fierce in the restaurant business and lots of soilage, unfortunately.

Old 11-12-2006, 12:07 PM

1,810 posts, read 10,458,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Winnie, while I haven't lived in the Valley for a good ten-odd years, I regularly visit and yes, it has grown some, but even with growth supporting a restaurant takes lots of folks. And competition is fierce in the restaurant business and lots of soilage, unfortunately.
I never lived in Western MA.

I agree with ONTHEROAD that competition is fierce. The fact that she has to ask if it is a good idea means she had not done her home work. She does not have a business plan. The mere fact that rent is lower and may have less competition is NOT a reason to jump into one of the most competitive business.

I had many friends who owned restaurants. Many wish they never went in. The hours they put in sometimes do not equate the hourly salary they could have gotten. When they finally did good, their landlord double their rent. All their hard work just suddenly are use to pay rent.

Old 11-12-2006, 01:13 PM

1,330 posts, read 5,077,374 times
I am not disputing wether there is competition or not, or if it is difficult to start a resturant..my cousin's husband owns one in NYC - very hard to keep on top but it is possible if you have a good product and atmosphere.

The area has a lot of good resturants. But I also know that people up there do like to go out and eat and that the Pizza Huts, Dominoes and Subway chain joints there are falling by the wayside for real businesses. The pizza hut on Memorial drive closed up shortly before I left the area. Too many good pizzarias. The biggest challenge is letting people know you are there...

In NY we have a Japanese resturant called Hannah's..there are other Japanese joints but when you ask people if they want sushi that is the name that pops into their heads. Are the other resturants going in the dump? No..matter of fact there is another wickedly popular one called Gasho's and yet another called Yobo's all within a 17 mile radius, along with several smaller joints who have been in business for years. And the metro area about the same size as Springfield, maybe smaller. So it is possible to succeed even when there are other good resturants out there.

I think that getting out there and showing your face to your customers can be a good thing, at Yobo's they remember us and greet us enthusiastically and that is a big part of why we go there rather than Gasho's which is nicer and a bit better food but no way would they remember us when we return or be as friendly.

I think South Hadley's commons might be a good option or even in the area where 202 intersects with memorial dr (around the supermarket) in Chicopee.

Give a yell if you do open up I will be sure to visit when i am up in that area again...I am dying for some good food there is none out here in NE PA unless it is on my dinner table...

Good luck!

Old 11-12-2006, 09:22 PM

I hope my comments only encourage you to do better planning not deter you from opening your restaurant. On the negative side, as Winnie says, even a chain restaurant can go out of business if it is badly managed. On the positive side, many stays open and prosper.

As my restaurant friend says you are only as good as your last meal. If you are hot, you are hot. If you're cold, you are cold no matter what advertising you do. A customer will only give you a max of 2 chances. If you cannot capture them, they will never come back. Word travels fast nowadays.

Best Wishes...

Old 11-14-2006, 05:01 PM

8 posts, read 43,431 times
Thank You all of you for giving me the moments i will have to look into the area more....and Winnie if i do open one in South Hadley swing by i buy your lunch

Old 11-15-2006, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolachen View Post
Thank You all of you for giving me the moments i will have to look into the area more....and Winnie if i do open one in South Hadley swing by i buy your lunch
No free lunch for me?

I'm willing to drive an hour or two for a free lunch.

Old 02-05-2007, 11:39 AM

14 posts, read 26,528 times
Default Localized

Much of the poverty in Hampden County is localized to Holyoke and Springfield, FYI.

Old 02-09-2007, 02:16 PM

5 posts, read 35,001 times
one word: Longmeadow

Old 02-23-2007, 03:48 PM

2 posts, read 12,011 times
i agree with longmeadow. a lot of rich people who like to go out to eat but are afraid to go to springfield.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts